đź“Ł News Carpenters: "The Vinyl Collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have ordered a set from amazon USA in the knowledge that if it is faulty in any way I will have the option of returning it without any fuss.

Well I have ordered a set from amazon USA in the knowledge that if it is faulty in any way I will have the option of returning it without any fuss.
In the event that the set they send you is defective, will Amazon pay for the return shipping, or will you be stuck with a very hefty postage cost? Will they refund the original shipping and import charges? I've looked on Amazon.com, and I can't find any definitive answers regarding international returns.

At any rate, I wish you the best of luck, and hope that you get an acceptable set! If it was me, I'd have waited a few months at least, to ensure that I'd get one of the re-pressed sets that Universal has promised. But, I tend to be risk averse.

I

My set ordered from Amazon and presumably a first batch (I received it on release date) is near perfect.

Mine is perfect, too :phones:
It even has a better job than "carpenters collected white" that arrived on the same date, that's why I wrote that, maybe it's just a lot or some bad, sometimes it's lucky in these times where everything is done in industrial quantities, maybe this It has become something very psychological for all of us who are fans, I live in Chile, I was resigned to a bad set and I will stay with him for the distance and entanglement that I had to do to claim, but like you , I'm super happy and at the same time sad for all these entanglements that this set has wrapped:cry: ... Greetings.

I was out Christmas shopping today and stopped by my local Barnes & Noble to check out the vinyl (there's a lot) and I saw Close To You and The Singles 69-73 the 2017 editions both were $24.99....while I would not touch these with a 10 foot pole after the misery I went through...I HAD to do my part in pulling them to the front.....:agree:

qIkUn6R.jpg

I was out Christmas shopping today and stopped by my local Barnes & Noble to check out the vinyl (there's a lot) and I saw Close To You and The Singles 69-73 the 2017 editions both were $24.99....while I would not touch these with a 10 foot pole after the misery I went through...I HAD to do my part in pulling them to the front.....:agree:

qIkUn6R.jpg
Did they have the download voucher?

I was in a number of large music retailers yesterday (HMV included) and there was absolutely no sign of these albums on vinyl. Not that I would have bought them anyway but it would have been nice to see them in stock.

Ha! Good job :D

It really saddens me that some of you have received crappy releases of this set. Mine look great and play nicely. I'm not an audiophile but I know pops and clicks and skips when I hear them, and there are none discernible so far. I haven't listened yet, to every song on every album.

In the event that the set they send you is defective, will Amazon pay for the return shipping, or will you be stuck with a very hefty postage cost?

If you get a defective item from Amazon they will send you a return free shipping label and will also send your replacement free of charge. Or you can choose to have a refund.

In some cases they will tell you to just discard the defective item and refund your money without giving an option. If that happens, you can just reorder it.

Keep in mind that this answer refers to Amazon proper. There are lots of other "stores" that use Amazon as their ordering portal, so make sure you know who you're dealing with and what the return policies are before placing your order. In other words, as always, "Caveat Emptor." (Let the buyer beware)

It's amazing that people now have no problem paying $24.99 for albums that used to sell for 5 bucks back in the day! I remember the very bruising "vinyl war" when music companies started to raise the list prices, first from 5.98 to 6.98, and then a dollar at a time every couple of years. The real big ruckus happened when they started moving to $8.98 - Tom Petty caused a real stir, but the prices went up anyway.

It's amazing that people now have no problem paying $24.99 for albums that used to sell for 5 bucks back in the day! I remember the very bruising "vinyl war" when music companies started to raise the list prices, first from 5.98 to 6.98, and then a dollar at a time every couple of years. The real big ruckus happened when they started moving to $8.98 - Tom Petty caused a real stir, but the prices went up anyway.
...And those of us used to those LP prices balked even louder at CD prices that were usually in the $15-$20 range. Now the LPs are $25 and CDs are usually under $10.

the first album I bought was A SONG FOR YOU, $ 3.98 at the old gibsons,

Did they have the download voucher?
Chris, no I think that might be a UK incentive. If you look closely at the sticker you uploaded the catalog # has a different # than the US one that I took above. The US sticker makes no mention of this voucher.

I'm taking it that the catalog #'s for all these UK LP's have a different catalog # than the US version. I posted some of the catalog #'s from the US ones so maybe someone can chime in that has got the UK versions to confirm they are different catalog #'s.

Barnes & Noble has always been expensive on their music, I think they pad their prices to cover the 10% that members get and even that's not much when it's $24.99. They are really making a profit when someone walks in there and pays full price.

I’m wondering if the download voucher will be available to the European market only. Also I would imagine the EU have pressed their own vinyl copies. Some US imports have appeared on the racks without the voucher.

Unboxed mine this morning.
No problems so far, the sleeves and records are spotless.
I have listened to A kind of Hush and Carpenters so far and they sound very good with no problems.

Well it looks like I’m going to order Tony, have you had a chance to check all of them ? Sorry in advance!.

Hi Wayne
I have not had the chance to play them all but from what I have heard so far the sound is very crisp and clear.
As I said all the sleeves and records are perfect but obviously there could be some problems as I have not listened to them all.
I always clean my records before I play them just to get the best possible sound and to remove any dust.

So, I am shamefully late reporting that the UMe customer-service rep over the phone a few weeks back gave me a lot of incorrect information on replacing my “Vinyl Collection.”

It did seem curious that I was the ONLY one in the forum who was told I would be receiving prepaid-postage materials to return the set, and that defective product was going to be recalled from merchants — when, weeks later, nothing arrived in the mail and the initial pressings were clearly still for sale at Amazon and elsewhere.

So, i e-mailed and did eventually receive the same return email as everyone else, directing me to destroy the records and provide a photograph proving I had done so, and that it would take six to eight weeks to receive a replacement set.

I was directed to either break each album in half or put a visible scratch through each. There was no mention of the album covers or the box itself. So I guess I will just keep those as backups.

In my email, I did ask if corrections wouldbe made to the typographical errors in the “Singles” booklet. But that question was ignored.

Regardless, I’ve got to give UMe a lot of credit for taking on what must be considerable expense to get this right for us.

And I figure it is better working directly with them than risking a return to a retailer only to go back two months later and get yet another defective first pressing.

I know a lot of folks in the forum have given up on this. But it’s just impossible for me to listen to “Christmas Portrait” over and over the last couple weeks and be pessimistic.

If we can’t have faith now, then when?

Just wanted to set the record straight. Boy, was I misinformed.

Apologies for causing any confusion.

Happy Holidays, everyone.

Hope a loved one has found your most-elusive, -desired Carpenters collectible and has it wrapped for whatever holiday is yours.

(Mine, BTW: “Passage” Foreplay Special, but not a chance.)

Mike

I just saw "Close to You" at my B&N earlier today. The packaging was flimsy (a la later LPs, not the heavy cardboard used on my original press) but the cover looked more vivid. There was just that one album in the bin too.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom