Neil Diamond

I have many Neil Diamond favorites and have seen him at least twice in concert. One of the songs from the 60s that really grabbed me was "Soolaimon" from his TAP ROOT MANUSCRIPT album.

Many artists have done the "African" thing (i.e. Paul Simon GRACELAND, Herb Alpert with Hugh Masekela, etc.), but I think Neil was there before them all with the whole side two of TAP ROOT MANUSCRIPT. And "Soolaimon" was sort of the anchor song of that side. On TAP ROOT however, the song segues with some drums toward the end, and many compilation versions fade the song before that segue.

For "Soolaimon" fans, there's finally a full-length version that came out with his recent switch to Capitol Records on ALL-TIME GREATEST HITS. It's got the full 4:31 length with the longer fade-out.

His symptoms must really be unpredictable, which would explain suddenly canceling the tour like that. He says he still plans to write and record though, so that's good.

I was an early fan of his original Hot August Night album. It's one of the best-sounding "live" albums ever, in my opinion, with far-better-than-the-studio-versions of songs like "Holly Holy," "Cherry Cherry," "Solitary Man," "Crunchy Granola Suite" and the aforementioned "Soolaimon," which was one of the encores and is a really great performance of the song.

I saw him on New Years Eve outside in the freezing cold and noticed his hand shaking as he was singing, I just figured it was the weather but maybe this was symptoms of Parkinson. He's an iconic singer.

I was an early fan of his original Hot August Night album. It's one of the best-sounding "live" albums ever, in my opinion, with far-better-than-the-studio-versions of songs like "Holly Holy," "Cherry Cherry," "Solitary Man," "Crunchy Granola Suite" and the aforementioned "Soolaimon," which was one of the encores and is a really great performance of the song.

Like you, I'm not a big fan of live albums, but we too were "early adopters" of HOT AUGUST NIGHT - so much so that it appears that our only copy is the original two-LP set. So I just put on that encore of "Soolaimon/Brother Love" and, while it's surely an electric performance, I still prefer the studio version. By the end of that epic concert, Neil had gotten into his "growly" voice.

This is one of the few live albums I can even listen to anymore. Definitely a keeper. I'm not sure how I feel about the anniversary "expanded" edition since we've all become so used to the original sequencing, but on the other hand it's nice to have most if not all of the complete gig. (Kind of like how The Who's Live at Leeds was expanded to two discs.)

My go-to has to be this set, though--it's a 2 LP set of all of his recordings for Bang! Records, minus one (which I pulled from another compilation LP--"Hanky Panky").

upload_2018-1-26_10-55-7.png

I like this from the lean and hungry years. :wink: Some of his strongest songs were written back then.

I Have some all Time favorites by Neil diamond too many to count one of my standout favorites is his 1984 album "Primitive" which has one of my favorite Ballads "Turn Around". IT was a small minor hit but for me it's Very Memorable as I Heard it on an MOR/Easy Listening radio station and the song stuck with me for years as I was trying to obtain that song and L.p. I finally found a clean copy over a decade ago and made a needledrop CD although I'm more partial to his late 70s to mid 80s music i also enjoy his 60s and 70s music ( thanks to my mother having a couple of his albums which it seems much of my Musical tastes was partially influenced by family members ) I am sorry that Neil won't be touring anymore at least he will still be recording coincidentally another one of my other favorite artists also suffered from Parkinson's disease and that was the Late British Orchestra Leader Frank Chacksfield who passed away in 1995.

I'm not sure how I feel about the anniversary "expanded" edition since we've all become so used to the original sequencing

I agree. I have the longest version which has five songs not on the original album, plus band intros. To me the only one of the bonus songs is "Kentucky Woman." The rest fall into the category where if you were at the show, you'd be fine with them, but on a live album they tend to drag the proceedings out.

Years ago, I actually made myself a "best of Hot August Night" CD and I mixed in another live favorite, "Lordy" from the album Neil Diamond Gold. I mixed the tracks together so it's seamless and also got rid of the breaks between the album "sides." Made it an even better listen, IMHO.

I agree. I have the longest version which has five songs not on the original album, plus band intros. To me the only one of the bonus songs is "Kentucky Woman." The rest fall into the category where if you were at the show, you'd be fine with them, but on a live album they tend to drag the proceedings out.
Yes, it goes both ways. I'm notorious for skipping through a longer album to get to my favorites. But I can also appreciate the effort to provide us the complete concert (if that, indeed, is what the anniversary edition offers). At least we have the choice! Heck, back in the 70s, everyone I knew would always play the first few tracks on Side 1 (Prologue/Crunchy Granola Suite/Done Too Soon) and then bail on the rest of the album. :laugh:

My own sweet spot for his recordings is the Bang! and Uni eras. First class songwriting there. :) Can't say I've ever warmed to anything past those, save for something like 12 Greatest Hits Vol. 2 which covers the highlights nicely. His 12 Songs album (Rick Rubin produced, IINM) is supposed to be a good one but I've not heard that one yet.

Hate to see that Neil is having health problems. Hot August Night is definitely one of the best live albums ever.

Back
Top Bottom