2016 CDs - I am getting anxious

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbisherw

I would have hoped the HAP would have released pre-order information on the forthcoming CDs.

I have money burning a hole in my pocket for Warm, TBAC, Summertime.

The wait is killing me!

Still April as a tentative release date. I would expect preorder info at some point in mid March. We'll be posting it here once we get word.

I would have hoped the HAP would have released pre-order information on the forthcoming CDs.

I have money burning a hole in my pocket for Warm, TBAC, Summertime.

The wait is killing me!

Chill! There are around two dozen in the works and artwork had to be created for each and every one. It just doesn't happen over night. :D

It will sure be worth the wait. Let not your heart be troubled my friends. As Steve said " there is a lot of work involved". I for one am looking forward to these Cds too. ( i admit the shout factory cds came as a complete surprise to me when they came out a decade ago.)

Maybe due to packaging...? :shrug: Hi-res is more expensive, and it needs to be downconverted to 16-bit/44.1kHz before it will burn to CD. But on the plus side, it is future-proofed, and the files give you the sound quality Randy heard in the studio while helping to restore these.

Been doing a couple of shootouts with the better preamp...don't get rid of some of those Shout CDs so fast... :shh:
I am keeping ALL my shout factory CDs.( i have them all) Especially the ones with Bonus tracks. And out of this new batch there are 9 of them i plan to get ( such as volume 2 .warm. and everything from there thru Magic man. After that all that will be left to get on cd will be the JYAM. the first Herb &Hugh. BYOH. Bullish and Wild romance. And i have everything else from Keep your eye on me .onward in their original CD issues on A&M. Almo sounds. Etc. Etc. It is very true Patience will be rewarded.

Me too, I want CD's, not downloads. I bought all of the Shout! factory CD's and I intend to buy all of the TJB issues but probably not Herb's solo stuff as it doesn't really float my boat. Can't wait to see the release info, bring it on !

I won't be getting rid of my Shout! factory CDs. I got to the table late on those and only have a couple. I like the bonus tracks. I'm wanting a complete set but can't afford a complete set of CDs, hi-res, and vinyl. What to do, what to do. :winkgrin:

My decision is easy. If there is high-res version of a release vs. CDs, I always go high-res. I have no need for two digital versions, and no desire to own a physical product which I'll rip to the server then toss into a storage box for all eternity.

There is still a market for CDs, I get that, but not all of us want CDs anymore. Some don't even buy music anymore--they stream it. Others buy music by downloading it. We should be thankful Herb and company had the foresight to release these in multiple formats...the formats people are listening to today, including low-res streaming to high-res downloads, and even pure analog via vinyl (for a handful of the titles). For my part, and for this site, I'm thankful that such a thorough reissue program covers all options so everyone can enjoy the music in the formats they prefer. We aren't stuck with any one choice here, in other words--we buy what suits our listening needs, and short of putting these out on other dead formats like 8-track or cassette, they have all the bases pretty well covered.

For collecting purposes, my recommendation remains: buy the new-to-digital releases immediately. Then, backfill with more popular titles, and only if you want to replace what you have. But even there, don't delay. I can't tell you how many times I've regretted not buying "that record" or "that CD" I saw a dozen years ago that went out of print. We've all done it.

I got to the table late on those and only have a couple. I like the bonus tracks.
Fortunately, only Whipped Cream had bonus tracks. Lost Treasures had all the remaining rarities. Keep those two and you're golden. :D (There was also the Rewhipped title, which is more like a new release than a reissue.)

The rest can be a mixed bag, quality-wise. As one example, I've found South Of The Border is cleaner on the Shout Factory than the new reissue. I'd attribute that to tape deterioration over the years, which is no fault of anyone restoring or mastering these for reissue. Yet Whipped Cream sounds top notch, thanks to Bernie's mastering. (Only if the vinyl pressings I have weren't garbage, they'd be ideal... :sigh: )

RISE also had bonus tracks too. ( sorry to bring that up) [QUOTE="Rudy, post: 149381,

Fortunately, only Whipped Cream had bonus tracks. Lost Treasures had all the remaining rarities. Keep those two and you're golden. :D (There was also the Rewhipped title, which is more like a new release than a reissue.)

i agree. I appreciate the thoroughness of this round of reissues im extremely thankful for what has been availible so far. And as i mentioned earlier i only need 9 titles out of these upcoming cd reissues. Even though i still have the vinyl versions of them. ( which i will keep for old times sake they are still in excellent shape)

Last edited:
The Shout! Factory RISE contained two extra tracks:

- Rotation [*][Alternate Take][Alternate Version]
- Aranjuez (Mon Amour) (A-Ron-Ways) [*][2007 Dance Mix]

In addition, Shout also issued a special single CD containing:

- Aranjuez (Mon Amour) (A-Ron-Ways) [*][2007 Dance Mix]
- Rotation (12 inch remix)

So that 2007 dance mix of Aranjuez is found in two places. The 12" mix may be the first and only Herb 12" released on CD. [edit: I take that back. Later in the 80s many 12" mixes had both vinyl and CD issues.. I was thinking of the earlier 12" mixes.]

Harry

My decision is easy. If there is high-res version of a release vs. CDs, I always go high-res. I have no need for two digital versions, and no desire to own a physical product which I'll rip to the server then toss into a storage box for all eternity.

As I understand it the art work will be the original covers, no extra liner notes or anything like they did on the Shout! reissues. So why wait? Don't get me wrong, I still plan on buying the CDs when they come out but right now I have the hi-res downloads and made CDs for both my home and my car and have been enjoying this great music wherever I go. The sound of these is great. I'm on the mailing list for HDTracks.com and every week they have some sort of sale going on. It's definitely worth checking out!

The only version of Rise that I have is the LP I got at the used record store this year. I'm trying to decide if I'm too sorry to burn my own CDs. :D I think I want vinyl copies of all the older stuff as my vintage stuff ranges from very good to iffy. I like the hi-res files a lot (now that I have a player). There are some titles that I think I will buy all three formats just because.

I think I still have my original copy of the Rise LP somewhere, but maybe a dozen years ago, I came across one of the A&M Audiophile versions that A&M Canada was marketing, mastered and pressed at the same place that did all of the 70s and 80s Mobile Fidelity vinyl. It sounded pretty much the same but had quieter vinyl. The catalog numbers were in the SPJ- series with the same album numbering. The TJB Greatest Hits I bought new (SPJ-4245) and it still plays like it.

It's not too difficult to find still sealed copies of some of these records via Discogs. I still need a few, but in the past dozen or so years I've come across sealed copies of Beyond, Bullish, Magic Man, Herb/Hugh, and likely others that I'm forgetting. My original Beyond was a bit worn over the years, as that was purchased before I got into better equipment. What's sad to me is how poor a lot of the 60s albums are--most were played on console hi-fi systems or worse, and have a lot of "groove burn" (wear). On top of it, many of them are absolutely filthy, and at the very least need a run through the record vac. But I don't give up looking. In the 90s I was still finding sealed copies of some of those 60s A&M records, like Summertime.

I'll be in Chicago in April for AXPONA, so I may hit a few record stores the day prior to the show. Record Store Day is that same Saturday but I'll be taking a pass on it this time. I'm betting these TJB/Alpert releases are pushing to tie into that date, especially with some of the titles being issued on vinyl.

The sound of these is great. I'm on the mailing list for HDTracks.com and every week they have some sort of sale going on. It's definitely worth checking out!

Acoustic Sounds always has some sale running as well--today it's 12% off of vinyl and downloads. They're all competitive these days, so it takes some of that initial sting out of the process. Since Acoustic Sounds competes with Music Direct and Soundstage Direct, they all are matching each other in pricing, discounts and even the free shipping; Acoustic Sounds tends to tie the digital downloads into that same discount, so it's a win.

My latest HDTracks email has a code HDFEB19 for 20% off downloads if you spend $50 or more, but it expired on Feb 22. :sad:

Even at 12% off, that puts the price of high-res almost near the long-time standard list price of CDs ($15). The only drawback is having a means to play back these files in full resolution. And that is something I want to cover the basics of when I get some free time to write it all up...

Last edited:
I am going to be so broke by May.
Who needs two kidneys anyway? :D

I have to balance things out since I have a lot of other interests. Maybe a couple each month for the titles I'm interested in. I'm not all that anxious since I have all of them on original vinyl and prefer that over digital. In fact, I'm more pressed to find the few remaining good (or sealed) vinyl copies I don't yet have.

In fact, I'm more pressed to find the few remaining good (or sealed) vinyl copies I don't yet have.

If the new CDs flood the market, it may prompt sellers to get rid of their vinyl!

I see on amazon there are still some shout factory CDs availiable but the prices for the new and sealed ones are getting very expensive.( Almost a repeat of the original A&M CDs skyrocketing in price.) However i agree with one website's admonishment which applies here too " Buy Now Or Repent Later".( in the case of the HAP releases get them asap or regret it later.)

If the new CDs flood the market, it may prompt sellers to get rid of their vinyl!
I wish that were the case, actually. The opposite is happening though. Some are ditching CDs and going back to vinyl, so it's harder to find clean copies of these albums as opposed to twenty or even just ten years ago. Ironically, I'd bet new vinyl copies would outsell these CDs, since many CD buyers have switched to downloads or streaming. If only the new vinyl wasn't pressed like crap... :rolleyes:

(in the case of the HAP releases get them asap or regret it later.)

Absolutely! Remember, some of these albums haven't been in print in years, and sadly, the number of people who even vaguely remember some of them is dwindling with each day. I have no inside information, but if I were to hazard a guess, I wouldn't expect these to be in print for all that long. It could be the last ride for the Tijuana Brass as far as physical product goes. Think of it this way, if all of the TjB albums are out and available, let's assume you've already gotten the WHIPPED CREAM and CHRISTMAS ALBUM. That leaves a total of 14 albums (TjB or T.J.B.) left to buy. If you can find them for say $9.99, that would be $140.

Just suppose all of those were boxed in one giant box set. Would it be worth $140? I'd have to say yes.

I'll be buying all of the old TjB albums once again, and any of the later ones that I don't have (not too many). Since I own everything from RISE forward on CD already, and I don't expect any of those to be improved upon sonically, I won't need the updated ones.

If there are any surprises along the way, like the extended "Darlin'" on any of the later solo issues, or maybe a stray 12" mix included, I'll certainly pick those up.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom