40/40 world wide release

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the spot for the first time last night....can't remember which channel. It was cool to see the Carpenters advertised on tv.

jonathan

Does the album really come with the blue cover and logo only- or is it only the cover with Horizon photos?

Bruno posted that he got one with a blue extra package. Like the original SHM-CD "Now & Then"?

Probably releases in Holland, Hong Kong/China, Korea and some others have blue cover.
You can preorder blue one at CD WOW US.
$12.99 Free Delivery.
11/16/09
6155567.jpg

http://www.cdwow.us/CD/CARPENTERS-40-40-2CD/dp/5735769

The US edition is 25% Off now at Amazon.com.
Harry said:

Can anyone answer me about songwriters' credit of Superstar on your 40/40?

Sakura

The blue extra package can be removed, inside there is the normal CD with the Horizon photos.

In my opinion, the blue extra cover looks cool, not so old-fashioned like the Horizon photos.

Bruno

SakuraSYayoi said:
Can anyone answer me about songwriters' credit of Superstar on your 40/40?

Sakura

On the Japanese version: Leon Russell/Delaney Bramlett/Bonnie Bramlett

On the US version: Bonnie Bramlett/Leon Russell

Harry

Yet another blue cover
Επετειακή συλλογή για τα 40 χρόνια από το ντεμπούτο του πιο επιτυχημένου αμερικανικού ποπ σχήματος της δεκαετίας του 1970. Οι Carpenters - αν θέλαμε να βρούμε την αναλογία τους στο σήμερα, θα αναφέραμε τους White Stripes - ήταν το ντουέτο των Κάρεν και Ρίτσαρντ Κάρπεντερ που έγινε παγκοσμίως γνωστό με τραγούδια όπως τα «We΄ve Οnly Just Βegun», «Rainy Days and Μondays», «Superstar», «Goodbye to Love», «Sing», «Υesterday Οnce Μore», «Τop of the World» και «Ρlease Μr. Ρostman». Μοναδικοί τεχνίτες στη μελωδία, τόσο η Κάρεν όσο και ο αδελφός της κατάφεραν να γίνουν αγαπητοί σε όλους τους φίλους της ποπ μουσικής, ανεξαρτήτως προτιμήσεων. Δυστυχώς η Κάρεν έφυγε σε ηλικία μόλις 32 ετών από καρδιακή ανεπάρκεια, ως αποτέλεσμα της νευρικής ανορεξίας που τη βασάνιζε για χρόνια.
http://www.tovima.gr/default.asp?pid=2&ct=4&artId=297763&dt=06/11/2009

What counry? What language?

Sakura

mr J. said:
Richard has an inflated opinion of the 70's albums-much of that material is the worst stuff ever recorded on A&M.

Incidentally,I might have been a little harsh...

And with your above statement as well, methinks.

I don't think anyone will ever list AS TIME GOES BY as their favorite album - but I could easily see anyone listing LOVELINES as a favorite.

Harry]

Lighten up ....Mr J woud have us believe there just 30/40 Carpenters tracks for both Carpentersphiles & newcomers & all the other recordings are just trash & should be ignored.....with fans like these : thank goodness Richard did not retreat to an Island post 1983
:shock:

One of the enduring reasons for Carpenters legacy is the wide range of music, styles, genres K&R covered during 1969-1982 active period & this has continued with post-Karen sets & tracks issued ....they have never recorded a BAD album or collection of songs unlike other artists ....there are some songs that really should have remained as outtakes or added as B sides / extras for fans ....such as Goofus , Breaking Up Is Hard To Do , Beechwood 45789 ....these Carpenters versions are well performed & produced ....the songs are too corny or lack magic of many other classics / great tracks ...... :)

As Time Goes By is a superb album .....& fulfills Richard's intention to release mainly studio rarities album ( except for 1976 live medley & BBC live recording ) ....it reflects early Carpenters albums ....with medleys / instrumentals , Richard lead vocals .....overall I prefer ATGB to Made in America or A Kind of Hush .....which lack direction & consistency .... :thumbsup:

Ideally Richard will release more Carpenters & early Solo material : during ATGB sessions & selection period , RC considered 30 tracks plus & finally selected 15 tracks ( 25 plus songs ) ....there are some great tracks still awaiting release & some interesting rarities .....plenty of scope for future releases ....but first Solo projects & Carpenters Around The World need to be issued ASAP....:cool:

Peter UK

PJ said:
As Time Goes By is a superb album .....& fulfills Richard's intention to release mainly studio rarities album ( except for 1976 live medley & BBC live recording ) ....it reflects early Carpenters albums ....with medleys / instrumentals , Richard lead vocals .....overall I prefer ATGB to Made in America or A Kind of Hush .....which lack direction & consistency .... :thumbsup:

Peter, my quote above about AS TIME GOES BY wasn't meant to disparage the album, but rather to comment on the fact that as an album of demos, outtakes, and TV show audio, it really isn't a cohesive album to listen to, but rather a collection for fans of rarities that we've clamored for.

Richard says he regrets releasing some of that stuff, and I have to imagine that a lot of AS TIME GOES BY falls into that category.

I personally love having those demos etc., available to me, but I seldom listen to AS TIME GOES by straight through. It's more of a reference disc.

I'll continue to look forward to any more unreleased material that Richard cares to send our way.

mr J's motives, preferences, and agenda remain an enigma at best - but he's a fan and entitled to his opinions. As long as he (or anyone) isn't rude, abusive or inappropriate, I have no problems with his posts. That's why we have discussion forums.

Harry

I finally bought mine, here in Quebec. Am listening to it right now. Am very happy that Baby's It's You, When You've Got What It Takes, When It's Gone It's Just Gone, One More Time, Crystall Lullaby are on this set. Beautiful!!

Last week I found the following. What country? What language?

http://www.mouse.co.il/CM.articles_item,404,209,42360,.aspx

NPR interview seems to affect sales of 40/40 in the U.S..
Until nearly the end of last month the highest sale position at Amazon that I saw was probably #9 at Soft Rock.
I checked the chart this morning;
#1 at Soft Rock
#10 at Oldies
#16 at Broadway & Vocalists
#102 in Music

Then (in Music)
#48 3pm JST
still #48 now
(On the other hand, download sales is getting lower and lower)

Sakura

...and in soft rock Christmas Collection is #7 and Portrait special edition is #11.......pretty cool!!

jonathan

I was reading some of the reviews of 40/40 on Amazon and realized that the version of "Let Me Be The One" used here might be a surprise to those who've never delved into the box sets. The drumstick count-in and the extended (and humerous) ending past the fade could be quite a surprise and treat to those who'd never heard that version before.

Harry

Christmas Portrait at Billboard is #46 on the Holiday Charts for the week of Dec 12, 2009...

My BEST SELECTION shm cd came yesterday and sounds terrific. Does it shine brighter than the 40/40? Maybe. I'll have to invest more time for surety. In any event it is a treat and unbeknownst to me I paid nearly as much in yen for shipping as I did the cd. It got here overnight fedex. Albeit a nice surprise even if I didn't know what I was doing at the time. That happens alot around here lol!

Jeff

djn said:
My BEST SELECTION shm cd came yesterday and sounds terrific. Does it shine brighter than the 40/40? Maybe. I'll have to invest more time for surety. In any event it is a treat and unbeknownst to me I paid nearly as much in yen for shipping as I did the cd. It got here overnight fedex. Albeit a nice surprise even if I didn't know what I was doing at the time. That happens a lot around here lol!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Can you post the track list for the 20 track 'Best selection' as I have been unable to find it.

You said it may sound better than the 40/40. I would think(?) that Universal Japan just lifted the tracks for 'Best Selection' from the Japan 40/40 release and the sound quality would be identical to 40/40.

Does it say in the booklet anywhere who remastered the CD and when?

Many Thanks

Scott

My interpretation was that the BEST SELECTION (the 20 track SHM-CD) was being compared to the US version of 40/40. Thus, he hears the brightness of the SHM-CVD versus the standard CD in the US.

Harry

Harry said:
My interpretation was that the BEST SELECTION (the 20 track SHM-CD) was being compared to the US version of 40/40. Thus, he hears the brightness of the SHM-CVD versus the standard CD in the US.

Harry

Yes I thought about that after I submitted the post.

Still since the Japan 40/40 and Best Selection were mastered at a different time the the US 40/40 we'll never really know if the SHM-CD is the reason for a bit more brightness? Personally I don't think the SHM CD's sound any better than standard CD's.

It's the old rule of Psychoacoustics. If you think something will sound better more than likely the listener will think it does sound better.

The only way to really compare the sound would be to make a CDR of a few tracks from the SHM CD and the same tracks from the US standard CD and do an A/B without knowing which version the listener is hearing.

Since the US version came out after the Japan 40/40 minor remastering changes could account for a slight difference in sound.

The only absolute way to hear if SHM CD's sound better would be to take a few tracks that have been remastered indentically. Like many of the SHM CD's that have been released where the label in Japan simply used the US remaster of a particular title and using that mastering made SHM CD's.

Scott

The only diff in the track listing is disc 2 song #18. American 40/40 has Touch Me When We're Dancing and the shmcd has Leave Yesterday Behind.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom