50th Anniversary Celebration - 2nd Poll - Scheduling the Event

Assuming that the Celebration is a 3- or 4-day event, WHEN should it be held?

• Late April 2019

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • May 2019

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • June 2019

• July 2019

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • August 2019

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ringves

In the previous poll (the one dealing with location), at least one person raised the question of when to hold the west coast 50th Anniversary Celebration.

The actual date of the Carpenters signing with A&M Records was April 22nd 1969. In 2019, April 22nd happens to be Easter Monday.

Offline, some fans have expressed concern about scheduling the Celebration during Easter because many people like to spend that weekend with family and at church. Some other fans have expressed a preference for the summer months.

Assuming that the Celebration takes place over 3 to 4 days, my own view is that it should be scheduled shortly after Easter weekend.

I'm leaning that way for 3 reasons. Firstly, late April would still be very close to the actual anniversary date and would avoid potential conflicts with Easter commitments.

Secondly, there have been several forest fires from southern California up to British Columbia during the last month. So I would have some concerns about scheduling an event during the peak summer months.

And finally, some of us Carpenters fans (myself included) are getting a little older now. Even if there weren't any forest fires in the summer of 2019, the summer heat of southern California can be very draining on a person's energy levels - especially as one gets older.

So I'm supportive of late April 2019. But recognizing that others may have different preferences, I've set up a 2nd poll to gauge members' views.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Late April or May would suit me fine. It would be cool if it was held around their exact 50th anniversary date.

I voted for April. The spring rain (if there is any) is usually over and the children are still in school. The weather is usually great (not too hot) and it is before summer vacations begin and we might get a break ($$$) on hotel accommodations and site fees.

I voted for April. The spring rain (if there is any) is usually over and the children are still in school. The weather is usually great (not too hot) and it is before summer vacations begin and we might get a break ($$$) on hotel accommodations and site fees.

All great reasons why late April would be perfect :righton:

I'm with the last-week-of-April folks: a week after Easter, but close enough to 50 years after the signing.
There's another good reason for the timing. The Hollywood Bowl is likely to be available for a leased event, such as an all-star 50th-anniversary tribute that could be taped for one of the networks, AND it's the summer home of the L.A. Phil, which, of course, performed on "Passage" (Gustavo conducting "Calling Occupants" -- OMG!) and which Richard himself conducted when Carpenters was inducted into the Bowl's Walk of Fame a few years back.
And let's not forget about The Battle of the Bands ...
Well, I can dream, can't I? :)

Back
Top Bottom