A&M Acts' Songs that SHOULD'VE or COULD'VE been Hits...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That got me thinking... What was the last instrumental to top the charts or at least break the top 40? "Music Box Dancer?" "Rise?" Any ideas?

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
That got me thinking... What was the last instrumental to top the charts or at least break the top 40? "Music Box Dancer?" "Rise?" Any ideas?

Nah, not that far back. The last instrumental to crack the Top 40 was "Children" by Robert Miles, from 1996. (I think the most recent Top 40 instrumental after that one is David Stewart and Candy Dulfer's "Lily Was Here.")
And the last instrumental to hit #1 was Jan Hammer's "Miami Vice Theme," back in '85.
Still a really long time to go between instumental chart hits, though!

Jeff F.

Harry said:
For Lani, I'd go with "Adios Tristeza" from her first Latin album LANI. It's a great song, and performed well, but I'm sure our mono-lingual society wouldn't have bought it. Too bad.

You know Harry, This is a very good song and I can say that knowing that this is a J.C. Calderon song. He used this song again with a young artist named Alejandra Avalos in 1991. The arrangements are excellent in that album. As for Lani's version, I like it as well. Lani's spanish accent is excellent. Maybe is because she sang in portuguese at a young age. I wonder if she can fluently speak Spanish?

Here's one that's out of left field, but would have been a great single, if only...

Blues Traveler - But Anyway. From their first album, which IMO is a really cool album that is often overlooked. They got big later, after four albums (you've got to give credit to A&M for sticking with them!) but this one song could have made a big dent in the charts if it only had the chance.

I don't know if Lani ever became fully fluent in Spanish, but back in the '80s when she was releasing her Latin albums, there was an appearance on a Spanish TV prorgram where she was uncomfortable at best with the language.

Since you brought up this subject though, I think I need to dig out "Adios Tristeza" and give it a spin or two. Great tune!

Harry

Harry said:
Since you brought up this subject though, I think I need to dig out "Adios Tristeza" and give it a spin or two. Great tune!
Harry

Go for it and spin it, Harry. From that album I love "SE" why couldn't this one have a version in english? I think it sounds like a very good translatable toon, that is if "translatable is a word" ha,ha,ha! Bye the way, your comment on Lani on Spanish Tv; when do you think that was?

aymnostalgico said:
Harry said:
Harry

Go for it and spin it, Harry.

Did just that, moments ago. Cranked it up loud too!

Bye the way, your comment on Lani on Spanish Tv; when do you think that was?

My notes on the dub I received say it was 1985.

Harry

Harry said:
For Lani, I'd go with "Adios Tristeza" from her first Latin album LANI. It's a great song, and performed well, but I'm sure our mono-lingual society wouldn't have bought it. Too bad.

I agree with you, Harry. "Adiós tristeza" is one of Lani's best songs. And, you should know that I play it in my band, Las Rayitas.

Were "A Beautiful Friend" and "Panama" released as singles in their day? If not, then I think they definitely should have been classified as "hits", as well as "Jerusalem" from SUMMERTIME.

According to the Corner Discography, JERUSALEM was released as a single, A&M 1225 b/w STRIKE UP THE BAND in 1971...neither A BEAUTIFUL FRIEND or PANAMA were released as singles, but SHE TOUCHED ME was on the backside of A&M 1015 MY FAVORITE THINGS, from 1969. So, one of the "house" songs from BOTB WAS on a single.

Dan

Harry said:
For Lani, I'd go with "Adios Tristeza" from her first Latin album LANI. It's a great song, and performed well

Yeah!!! Adios Tristeza is one of Lani's greatest songs!!! I'd also go with Asi Es La Vida from the album LANI HALL.

Carpenters: "Strength Of A Woman"
Scott Grimes: "Walking On The Water"
Akiko "Rainbow, Rainbow" albeit in English and "Suddenly Love"
Veronique virtually any song from the RC produced CD.

Both of these were released as singles, but they failed to chart, and indeed I've never seen stock copies of either, only promos:

"White Rock" by Rick Wakeman (1977) ... a synthesizer instrumental that actually ROCKS, it was the theme song from the movie of the same name, which was a documentary about the 1976 Winter Olympics.

"A Spaceman Came Travelling" by Chris DeBurgh (1975 et al.) ... a neat Christmas song about an alien who came to visit the Christ child in the manger, it came out on 45 at least twice in America and was completely ignored. A regular on Christmas compilations that originate in England, I've only ever encountered it on one Christmas compilation in the States -- A Rock 'n' Roll Christmas Volume 2 from PolyGram Special Markets -- plus it appears on DeBurgh's "best-of" CD. DeBurgh recorded it at least twice, I think.

Tim Neely said:
"A Spaceman Came Travelling" by Chris DeBurgh (1975 et al.) ... a neat Christmas song about an alien who came to visit the Christ child in the manger, it came out on 45 at least twice in America and was completely ignored. A regular on Christmas compilations that originate in England, I've only ever encountered it on one Christmas compilation in the States -- A Rock 'n' Roll Christmas Volume 2 from PolyGram Special Markets -- plus it appears on DeBurgh's "best-of" CD. DeBurgh recorded it at least twice, I think.

I shouuld get that R&R Xmas V2 CD--the first volume was neat, and inexpensive (in a Rebound sort of way :wink: ).

My picks for " Should have been Hits" are as follows.
1. Pete Jolly Amy's theme.
2. Baja Marimba Band. December's child.
3. Lani Hall Wheelers and Dealers.
4. Herb Alpert Latin Lady.
6 Sergio Mendes Real Life.,and My Summer Love
7.Styx First Time
This is just a few memorable examples but im sure there are more however this should suffice for now.

Sergio Mendes 'Real Life', and 'My Summer Love'...

Regarding the Mendes tracks, worthy as they are:

Sergio would be a tough act to follow--mainly because "Never Gonna Let You Go" was the biggest thing since "Mas Que Nada", and yet nothing they'd done really had any "Mas Que Nada" quality about it, when it came to making anything even bubbling under on the charts...

Funny to equate anything Sergio did w/ the group plastering all those photographs in The Fool On The Hill's gate-fold cover--and to make the Greatest Hits set they did w/ the green, later brown cover, it is quite a great leap actually back to go from "Never Gonna Let You..." to all those mod '60's tunes...

That group, just going from being Brasil '66 to '77, especially in the realm of going from true Brasilian to going Top-40 Americano, in making such an out-of-nowhere attempt at a chart-busting hit, became quite a curio, indeed...

-- Dave

I guess this is an old thread, but I'm glad it was revived as the subject is interesting. Here's a few A&M tunes I think could have been released as possible hit singles

HOW CAN I TELL YOU - Lani Hall
BEYOND THE SEA - We Five
MUSIC FOR NIGHT PEOPLE - Artie Butler
BAJA NIGHTS - Baja Marimba Band
THE END - George McCurn
HOLD ON I'M COMING - Herbie Mann
FOR CARLOS - TJB
LOLLIPOPS & ROSES - TJB
DAY BY DAY - Chris Montez
I'LL BE BACK - Roger Nichols & Small Circle Of Friends
A COTTAGE FOR SALE - Tamika Jones
BACHIANAS BRASILEIRAS #5 - Soul Flutes
MORE & MORE AMOR - TJB
WATCH WHAT HAPPENS - Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 *
WANDERLOVE - Claudine Longet *
ELECTRIC EEL - Nat Adderly *
MAN IN A RAINCOAT - Claudine Longet *

The last 4 (*) did appear on a 45 rpm, but as a B side.

I just remembered a few more favorite A&M tracks that should have been hits ( part 2)
1. Ali thomson " We Were all In Love" from Take a Little Rhythm.
2. Baja Marimba Band "Maria Elena" ( it was one of the first BMB songs i ever heard)
3. Gino Vannelli "Granny Goodbye" from Crazy Life.
4. Herb Alpert " Love Is" from Rise.
5. Pete Jolly "Love so fine" from Herb Alpert presents.
Again there are many others but i thought i would add a few more ( i only hope i didn't repeat anything i previously listed.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom