A&M Acts That Are Your Least Favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm. Maybe I shouldn't admit that A Kind Of Hush is my favorite Carps' LP...

--Mr Bill

This post proves three things to me: 1) to each their own (but that's obvious); 2) Herb and the rest of them were part of the late lamented breed of record people - business minded, but creative and willing to take a chance on stuff that might or might not work so well; 3)when the "least favorite" acts on a record label are many of the ones winning Grammys and selling gazillions, there are worse problems to have....

I would say this...

1. "To each his own" is a very true observation, and explains a lot of things which otherwise might go unfathomed for eternity...

2. Herb, being in the unique position of musician/performer, and owner of the company simultaneously, was probably in more of a position to make these kinds of decisions. And he might have been more inclined to do so than someone strictly thinking in business terms about risk and profit/loss.

3. It reminds me of movie critics. Usually the things I like most the critics hate, and vice versa. When the critics rave about a movie, I sometimes take it as a sign to stay away because it probably won't interest me...I can think of lots of things that have received acclaim or have sold very well that I, myself, avoided. Which takes us back to #1 above...

I agree 100% with Captaindave's points above. Very well put, Dave.
Usually the things I like most the critics hate, and vice versa.

I couldn't agree more. Not to stray off-topic here, but I think in my case it's more about movies than music. Most of the music I listen to I find through my own collecting techniques, and I'm not really on the uptake with most musicians today unless they're the ones we discuss here who are still living. Movies... wow. So many critics and fans raved that The Matrix was "great." It nearly put me to sleep! :sad:

Eh, my dislike for The Carpenters was just their "being treated like Lepers at A&M", according to one biography I read on them, to suddenly going out to lunch with Herb (first at the nearby McDonald's and then of course, to much better places, when they hit it big...) and just while making good, skillful pop, sometimes getting a little too bombastic and experimental...

Kim Carnes A&M stuff was pretty much a disappointment to me, too. She deserved a solo career after her long tenure as being a Back-Up singer and of course, singing in The New Christy Minstrels, but it happened years later on Capitol Record's EMI label, as far as when anything really good emerged... :|

Booker T.'s solo albums (Without Priscilla Coolidge) are just as bad as the ones WITH... Aimless and except for a few covers (like "Ain't That Peculiar" and "I Was Made To Love Her") he is definitely NOT Al Green... Remember ordering one of his albums Still-Sealed in the mail, just because one record store near me was closed and the copy it had was a bit worn... Quite a loss to me, :cry: but he sure SOMEHOW convinced A&M he deserved another shot...! :confused:

Dave

Krayola Dave said:
Booker T.'s solo albums (Without Rita Coolidge) are just as bad as the ones WITH...

You DO mean his wife Priscilla Coolidge, right?

--Mr B

San Diego-I.R.S. Guy Bill said:
Krayola-Boy Dave said:
Booker T.'s solo albums (Without Rita Coolidge)...

You DO mean his wife, Priscilla Coolidge, right?

--Mr B

Dohhhh...!!!! :oops: Yes, I do mean, Priscilla! I changed it...! Er, this is the closest to a "dunce cap" I could find... :tongue:artyhat:

Dave :jester:

Not knowing everyone that has ever been connected to A&M, I'd go along with Captain Bacardi's list. I don't have a recording by anyone on his list. I would safely say I don't care for them.
As always, I could be wrong.

Sonic_Eccles said:
Not knowing everyone that has ever been connected to A&M, I'd go along with Captain Bacardi's list. I don't have a recording by anyone on his list. I would safely say I don't care for them.
As always, I could be wrong.

Well, I generally listened to the artists that are not my favorites, to really determine that they aren't...

I think The Sandpipers (my favorite!) and some of Paul Williams are good, but we're entitled to opinion...

Dave

It's still the same now as it was in the '70s as far as the Carpenters go. You either like them or you don't. I love their music but totally respect someone else's opinion who doesn't. That's what music is all about...something out there for everyone! Happily, A&M has had quite a diversive talent roster over the years...something for everyone!

If I may say so myself, I too agree with fact that several of the Carpenters tracks got pretty cheesy.

In all honesty however, I don't think I would be overstating this in the least if I said that regardless of whether or not Herb gave them their "open door" so-to-speak, it is completely fair to say that without "CARPENTERS", Herb and Jerry's company would not have the legacy it does today, nor do I believe any of us would be here talking about it (at least most of us, anyway).

It's amazing how many people there are out there that never will admit to owning a Carpenters record, but SOMEHOW they go on to sell more albums worldwide today than most current artists. Just my $.02. :) -Chris

I liked the Carpenters...

However, they didn't generate any "excitement" in me, nor do I associate them with any particular memories that I hold fondly - as I do some other songs and artists. I they were very pleasing to listen to, for those who like that kind of soft pop type sound. I like it as well.

I have one of the Carpenters albums - I think it is called The Singles - 1969-1973. Nice.

While I have one Carpenters disc, I have every Herb Alpert and the TJB disc ever recorded. So, while I like the Carpenters, I think the TJB ranks much higher in my scheme of things, if record ownership is any indicator. However, I'm prejudiced. I am a trumpet player. :wink:

i have to say this was one of the most interesting threads i've ever read here, you guys are hilarious, and agree with much of what you say about most of the acts mentioned.

i differ in the fact that while none of the acts are that great albumwise, i usually really enjoy a song or two from each of them.

i'm surprised no one had mentioned janet jackson (whom i dearly love) as she was attacked elsewhere here.

claudine longet. what a laugh riot! there is no way she can be considered anything but high camp. but i do appreciate her on that level, and i love ALL of her albums. (christmas camp = "snow")

i love chris montez' 2 hit singles too. his vocal delivery is maddeningly fey, but again it's high in camp. (does anyone for a minute think that guy could be considered straight?). those covers with the girls? it's to laugh. (i'm gay, by the way, so i can say that.) i like to think that the guy that says 'hey chris" in the crowd chatter of "the more i see you" is herb.

i think lee michael's "do ya know what i mean" is fantastic, but little else i've heard of his can compare.

joan baez is my cup of red zinger from way back. i cherish her and have several copies of many of her vanguard albums. but her A & M stuff did get progressively worse till it hit unlistenable. i wonder why herb couldn't have taken her under his wing a little and produced/directed a nice collaboration. oh well....

hey! don't trash ethel! i love her to death. ok the disco lp sucked big time, but if you had seen her at the toight show singin AND dancing to "alexander's ragtime band" you'd have plotzed!

BIG issue with the fairport's detractor tho. sandy denny is the queen princess over everything that is wonderful and magical about folk music. any fairport album featuring her is superb, and all of her solo stuff has some interesting things on it.

i really love carole king too, but i found the post trashing her so refreshing for some reason. she sure sings flat a lot of the time. but, c'mon, she has written at least 3 dozen classic songs though. need i list them?

the carpenters confession's were great too. karen did have the best voice ever. period. i think that anything negative about the band comes from the arrangements of her brother. and weak songs. corn-ball. not in a good way. (like claudine or chris)

the one group i'll add to this list is brasil 77. ugh. i put brasil 66 on a pedastal as one of my favorite groups ever. i mean right up there with the beatles and the stones. but brasill 77 is shockingly vapid. talk about losing your center.

thanks guys
that was fun

walterphil said:
...joan baez is my cup of red zinger from way back... ...but her A & M stuff did get progressively worse till it hit unlistenable...

UNLISTENABLE is right...! :mad: Think she just should'a recorded in the right "Locality", like she did way back when or like Judy Collins was doing... Would'a been more SENSIBLE, that way... :rolleyes:

walterphil said:
...i wonder why herb couldn't have taken her under his wing a little and produced/directed a nice collaboration...

aRE yOU kIDDING...??!! :wtf: Errr...NO! NO...! NO...!!
biglaugh.gif

Dave

oh c'mon!

it's not that big a stretch!

i'm talkin about a jobim/herb/joan combo

he was on A & M for a while too, right?

she did do that carnival song on one of her first lps, remember?

ok! so it was a little farfetched. i can dream can't i?

walt

walterphil said:
oh c'mon!

it's not that big a stretch!

i'm talkin about a jobim/herb/joan combo

he was on A & M for a while too, right?

Eh, soorry...! I'm just "fussy" about what I hear, who I hear and who plays on what, that's all...! I mean I was "just a kid" when all this was happenin', that's all... :|

Y'wanna record an A&M-Extravaganza...??!! Herb, Antonio and JOAN... OK...!! Larry Carlton on guitar...! Yeah, Yeah...! The Sid Sharp Strings...! You got it...! Malcom Cecil's Synthesizer...! ...And Robert Margoleff, Too...! "MY" record is unimportant...!! :mad:...Joan...Joan...JOAN...!! :nut:

Joan In Hollywood...!!! :goodie: ...OK, like, I'm getting a lil' CEREBREAL here, but... :tongue: Like, you know...I, like, just collect albums with 'these musicians' on 'em... ...It's disappointing when one comes around that I...er, don't like, but want "close to" EVERYTHING, that's all... :D

walterphil said:
she did do that "carnival song" on one of her first lp's, remember?

No, I don't... :shake:

walterphil said:
ok! so it was a little far-fetched. i can dream, can't i?

walt

Yes, dream all you want to...!! :yawn: As long as you're doing just THAT...! :hurl:

Dave :wink:

Armatrading, Yes... Baez, No...

--Mr Bill
keeping up with the "Joans" on line... :wink:

My least favorite A&M bands are Canadian Sweethearts and Atlantic Starr... their music is too boring!!!

+Karla M.+

walterphil said:
i like to think that the guy that says 'hey chris" in the crowd chatter of "the more i see you" is herb.

You think correctly. :agree:

Armatrading has a few terrific songs, but overall it is amazing A&M stuck with her as long as they did, considering her following never grew beyond one of cult status.
True. I remember several ads in Billboard and they all had the feeling of "This is REALLY the one!" to them.

the one group i'll add to this list is brasil 77.
You must be talking about post-A&M Brasil '77, eh? I don't see how you can label such an album as PRIMAL ROOTS as "vapid." But LOVE MUSIC, yeah I could see that. (If you consider the "center" as the Brazilian music.)

My least favorite A&M recording artist is .38 Special. I find many of their songs to be downright cringe-inducing. :nut:

Go take a look at the cover of her new CD, Wildflower, and tell me what 1970s RCA LP the art director stole the font from.

---Michael Hagerty

Yeah, I fail to think highly of .38 Special, myself; even though I find SOME pleasant listening in A Heart Needs A Second Chance and Hold On Loosely...

Yeah how many Numerically-Filed Collections are there out there that contain .38 Special...?! :twitchy:

Dave

...After you get the "Harder-To-Find Stuff", I HOPE! :shake: :rotf:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom