A&M Retro

First off, "Albert"? Really?

In a way, it's kind of surprising that Herb didn't adopt a stage name like "Albert." He's probably been dealing with people thinking his name is "Albert" his whole life. By the time "Lonely Bull" came along, he'd already had one stage name (Dore Alpert) and I'll bet he had lots of problems with people spelling that wrong too -- so when the TJB started up, he could have eliminated that problem but for whatever reason, chose not to. Maybe he just didn't think about it, with everything else that was going on at the time.

I deal with people spelling my last name wrong all the time (they usually leave one or both of the E's out, or they'll insert a C before the K, or they'll omit the S) so I feel his pain, but at least my name isn't appearing in giant headlines in national magazines!

I'm pondering the use of the word "deck". I've not run across that before in this kind of usage.

I had never encountered that before either.

When I got into the business around 1970, the word "side" had come to mean one side of a record. "This is one of the best sides we've heard from him in a long time."

Back
Top Bottom