A&M Retro

So why does "Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66" get placed with the "M's" and "Julius Wechter & The Baja Marimba Band" get placed with the "B's"?
I always grapple with this kind of thing. To me, the "group name" should rule as it's written, IF AND ONLY IF the leader's name is part of the group name. Since the name of the group is "Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66," then it ought to be under the S's, not the M's. However, early in my music career I discovered that catalogs always listed them as "Mendes, Sergio & Brasil '66," plus I knew that if I put them under S nobody would find them, so under M they went, even though I had to grit my teeth every time.

My thinking was, there are a lot of acts with names that SOUND like a person's name, but really aren't. Sawyer Brown is a great example....there is nobody by that name, it's the band's name, so they go under the S's; no proper catalog would list them as "Brown, Sawyer." But I had plenty of people over the years pawing through the Bs looking for Sawyer Brown because they think that's the lead singer's name. The Marshall Tucker Band is another example. I can't tell you how many times I d people say things like "We went to the Marshall Tucker show....he was great!!" The same thing happened with Lynyrd Skynyrd.

If my preferred system was the rule, the biggest problem of course would come up when a group-leading artist became a solo act. You really couldn't put "Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass" under H, and then put Herb's solo records under A, without confusing everyone.

Eventually, to keep my and the customers' sanity, I gave in and alphebetized everything the way the catalogs did. So Sergio went under the Ms, Sawyer Brown went to the S's, and all was well. Then John Cougar came along and really fouled everything up...by first adding Mellencamp to his name and then going by John Mellencamp. I just put some of his stuff in the Cs and the Ms.

Interesting that "Ye-Me-Le" is listed first and "Wichita Lineman" second. The actual single 1132 has "Wichita Lineman" as the lower-matrixed side (1861) with "Ye-Me-Le" as (1862). Was this considered a double-a-sided single? I seem to recall both getting airplay.

Funny that Bacharach received a Grammy for Butch Cassidy, considering that a lot of the music on the album was never in the movie, and some of the music in the movie was not on the album!

Back
Top Bottom