1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Official Review [Album]: "A KIND OF HUSH" (SP-4581)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Jul 1, 2013.

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

1. ***** (BEST)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. ****

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. ***

34 vote(s)
    60.7%
  4. **

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. *

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Active Member

Did you include in your count Sandy's appearance on Richard's solo album?

2. John Tkacik

John Tkacik Active Member

There is also a fantastic close-up photo of Karen from this same photo shoot on the rear panel of the trifold album cover of their 1979 Japanese release "The First 10 Years". I was hoping to use it as part of a comment to the February Facebook posting of the "I Need To Be In Love" documentary but that doesn't appear to be an available option.

Brian likes this.
  3. Brian

Brian Active Member

I listened to the complete album yesterday for the first time in years and I honestly still feel that 'Goofus' is one of the highlights. The other two really good songs / performances are 'I Need to Be In Love' and 'One More Time', in my opinion. Karen's performance of 'You' is not as good as I remembered, but I found 'Sandy' more enjoyable than I had in the past, from memory. I think that 'Can't Smile Without You' is a good song, but Karen sounds feeble, dull and tired. The album actually contains a lot of whispery vocals. Btw, I also listened to some of the tracks on vinyl yesterday. I discovered that if you slow the record down a bit, it brings more warmth and fullness to Karen's vocals. :) I loved this album from my early teens onwards. When I was thirteen, I would not have agreed with the criticisms I am writing now. I still found the album enjoyable to listen to, partly for sentimentality's sake, but certainly recognised weaknesses.

4. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Karen sounds like that on pretty much the whole album. Nowhere is it more evident than on the track I Have You. Her doubled lead makes it sound like she turned up to the studio to do it only because she was contractually obliged. I don't think I've listened to that song in 20 years. It epitomises the whole tired, listless feel of the entire album.

goodjeans likes this.
  5. Brian

Brian Active Member

Thanks for posting this, GaryAlan. Wow! Seems that Karen and Richard had a lot of work to do before preparing their version for recording, in terms of tidying up the lyrics and working out phrasing that fitted. It sounds as if Randy Edelman recorded a rough idea the night he thought of it, instead of a polished song.

6. Chris Mills

Chris Mills Well-Known Member

Interested in knowing your opinion of the recording quality of this album on vinyl compared to Horizon.

7. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

I love the song.....
    I Have You....great lyrical content, excellent utilization of stringed instruments,
    .....Karen does her best singing this song, but, I do wonder if the background vocals
    are "holding it back"......is Richard doing any of the background vocals on this song ?
    This one seems to be lacking in multi-stacked harmonies in the background (?)....
    A minor quibble is that it lacks ---for want of a better word--oomph, in the over-all
    arrangement.
    Anyway, I love the "You" songs.....I Have You and You......

Brian likes this.
  8. Brian

Brian Active Member

Chris, I'll give them a listen in the next week or two. I actually have UK, Australian and Japanese pressings of 'Horizon', (the Japanese copy included a poster), and a UK and an Australian pressing of 'A Kind of Hush', (for no other reason than I found the foreign copies in 'two dollar' bins at different times). I'm not sure if my capabilities go as far as comparing all the pressings from the different countries, though. :)

Chris Mills likes this.
  9. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    Goofus Single Review Cashbox Aug 28, 1976

[​IMG]

Chris Mills, Jeff, GaryAlan and 2 others like this.
  10. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    Cashbox Nov 27, 1976

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    Record World June 19, 1976

[​IMG]

12. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

I believe I speak for the crew when I say "thanks for the scans" Rick!! :D

13. GaryAlan

I may have mentioned previously that
    I Need To Be In Love,
    as presented on the big UK Album Collection
    is the short mix without the piano opening.
    This has escaped me all this time !
    I had simply assumed that the LP version was represented
    on this Collection !

My Question then, is this:
    What determines that "intro" factor ? That is, whether--or, not--
    to include that extended piano opening.
    Is that Richard's contribution to the song, or is it Hammond's ?

14. I believe the long piano intro was removed in order to shorten the single down to around 3:30. The true single edit also has a switch from a narrow stereo to wider stereo after 4 seconds. In 1985, Richard "fixed" that part in addition to whatever other remixing he did, but kept the mix shorter. That mix ended up on a number of early CDs, including the first release of A KIND OF HUSH on CD.

15. I am in agreement with you. if DANCING IN THE STREETS would have replaced TAKOH, this would have been very high on the charts. there were enough ballads on this album so CSWY could have been omitted and something a bit more provocative in its place. I have always liked GOOFUS, it's kind of off the wall, definitely not a single, I remember yelling NO!!!! I first heard it on the radio. I have often wondered how it would be as a Richard vocal. BUIHTD is just a sad mess, it should have been saved as a FROM THE VAULTS collection.

Geographer likes this.
  16. Chris Mills

Chris Mills Well-Known Member

This is the CD that has the remix of I Need To Be In Love without the piano intro (great remix), also the CD contained the remix of A Kind Of Hush (again a great remix). Unfortunately the remaining tracks on the album did not transfer correctly to CD, the tracks sound muffled, the wind, strings and percussion have all lost their high frequencies.
    Apparently this problem was sorted with the 30th Anniversary release. Exactly the opposite to what happened to Passage, sounded great on the original A&M CD, but sounded muddy on the 30th edition.

[​IMG]

17. GaryAlan

^^Yes, Chris...that is the exact CD which I have !
    I never understood why that "intro" was cut from I Need To Be In Love.....
    As for Goofus....as a single, perhaps not...but, a terrific offering from the duo
    from an arranging and vocal perspective.
    Again, I've loved
    There's A Kind Of Hush
    from first hear in 1976,
    keep the synth parts there !

Chris Mills likes this.
  18. All mentioned in the Resource.

19. GaryAlan

Listening to the song
    You.......and,
    I feel this Carpenters' offering does fall into the
    Great
    category !

song4u and Chris Mills like this.
  20. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

"There is also a fantastic close-up photo of Karen from this same photo shoot on the rear panel of the trifold album cover of their 1979 Japanese release "The First 10 Years". I was hoping to use it as part of a comment to the February Facebook posting of the "I Need To Be In Love" documentary but that doesn't appear to be an available option."

John, by the way, do you have a scan of this mentioned photo you can share?