1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Official Review [Album]: "AS TIME GOES BY" (UICY-1060)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Sep 23, 2006.

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

1. ***** (BEST)

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. ****

20 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. ***

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. **

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. *

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

The vocal fry in Karen's voice on that last note is just lovely. I noticed it the first time I ever heard the song.

You're referring to the 'Fans Ask' section of the official site, where the question was put to Richard what he thought of that. Unfortunately the question wasn't really phrased properly and the person asking referred to "leakage" on the recording rather than what it actually was, so I think Richard misunderstood the question:

Q: Regarding ‘The Rainbow Connection’ - My question is whether there may be a leakage of a sound where Karen sings 'dreamers and meeeeee'. I'm not sure if this is the reason why you left it out as an outtake to begin with. I was guessing her lead was only partial so you thought it had better be untouched. But now with your effort and enthusiasm, we are able to listen to this beautifully arranged song with previously unreleased vocals by Karen.

A: This was originally written for Kermit the Frog (Muppet), with some accents on the wrong syllables. I took some artistic license and changed the melody a bit. Still, Karen just didn't like the song, and it didn't make the album. For years fans kept requesting the recording, so I completed the chart and put it out. In the matter of leakage, there is none.

Mark-T likes this.
  2. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

^^Also, regarding
    Rainbow Connection....
    that last lyric--the "vocal fry" on 'meee..'
    sounds very similar to the "fry" heard on the last lyric 'free...'
    in the song Love Me For What I Am
    (the very last millisecond of the lyric !).

Nice, comparing 1975 to 1980....
    All things considered, a fine work lead by Karen, truly beautiful....

Mark-T likes this.
  3. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Active Member

The Rainbow Connection was from The Muppet Movie, which, like Sesame Street did feature Kermit the Frog. Maybe he was thinking that the Carpenters might strike lightning twice with a Muppet song. And I do remember seeing on the internet back in 2001/2002 a list for the Top 10 songs somewhere in Japan (I'm not sure whether it was the Orinoco chart, or if it was just a regional radio station's Top 10), but the song did hit #5 on that one chart that I saw.

Of course, considering that Karen laid down the vocals in 1980, maybe it was being considered for Music, Music, Music initially.

4. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Just listening to Rainbow right now. I have to say, maybe its just the day, but the vulnerability in her voice and performance got me choked up. It's beautiful! Thank you, Richard, for releasing it.

5. GaryAlan

^^Mark, Thanks for the recollection of Carpenters' Concert.
    One remark stands out to me...I copy it here....
    "When she walked out on stage, the crowd erupted with applause and even a few hoots and hollers.
    This lasted who quite awhile, making it pretty clear that in the public's mind, Karen was the star.
    How hard that must have been for Richard night after night! "

Has any interviewer asked Richard Carpenter, specifically, about that ?
    It would be an interesting question: Did he notice the difference in Applause ?

That is one of the reasons I disliked the change in later Concert--that is,
    bringing Richard on stage at the first, and then Karen coming out on stage separately.
    Who, in the audience, would not have been a bit perplexed:
    "Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Richard Carpenter" begins start of a Carpenters' Concert--
    not the reason most people would have attended a Carpenters' concert.
    (No disrespect intended to Richard).

Interesting thoughts to ponder.
    The Concert Applause reaction contrasted,
    between Karen and Richard.

6. Rumbahbah

Rumbahbah Active Member

I think the Ray Coleman book that this was suggested by Terry Ellis in the early stages of revamping their stage show before they signed on with Jerry Weintraub in order to give Richard a clear introduction separate from Karen and to highlight his role as 'in charge' of the music - hence why he can seen conducting the orchestra briefly when he comes on stage in the New London theatre performance in 1976. It was intended to highlight his role in the act and to address his complaint of being seen as 'only the piano player'.

They also suspended a mirror above his piano on stage so that the audience could see him playing the keys, again to highlight what he was doing, although I can't imagine this would have been of much interest to those in the audience.

Carpe diem likes this.
  7. Speaking of The New London Theater show, I believe the strategy of showcasing Richard on the intro failed. It had the opposite effect by making him appear "needy" IMHO. To make a big hoopla, with this big Elvis-like build-up and the name announcement is kind of embarrassing to watch. I feel bad for him. The white tux, taking a baton and tapping it on the stand like he is Arthur Fiedler didn't seem to create much excitement with the audience. And then Karen comes out unannounced to enthusiastic applause, only amplified the fact that Karen was the focal point of the act. I think having Richard accompany Karen on the piano with less musicians and orchestra (much like their famous medley on MYOKOM), not facing back-to-back with Richard on the piano bench would have made audiences more aware that they were indeed a team whose unique individual talents created their wonderful sound.

8. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Had the future been different, it would be interesting to see how their show would have changed over the years,

9. GaryAlan

Reading this today regarding the Muppets....

"....The Muppet Show
    's musical guest list reads like the greatest K-tel Music compilation of all time:
    Judy Collins, Elton John, Lena Horne, Lou Rawls, Petula Clark, Helen Reddy, Loretta Lynn, Liberace,
    Kris Kristofferson, Leo Sayer, Harry Belafonte, John Denver, Dizzy Gillespie, Diana Ross, Paul Simon,
    Joan Baez, Linda Ronstadt, Debbie Harry, Buddy Rich, Gladys Knight, Johnny goddamn Cash, Alice Cooper..."
    ------
    Has there ever been a reason given as to
    Why
    Karen and Richard did not appear on this program ?
    Talk about a "missed opportunity"....they could have
    performed Rainbow Connection......