1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Official Review [Album]: "HORIZON" (SP-4530)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Jun 1, 2013.

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

1. ***** (BEST)

35 vote(s)
    50.7%
  2. ****

23 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. ***

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  4. **

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. *

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Their 1969-1973 sound was quite different from their later sound; much more baroque and eclectic, whereas from Horizon on it was more air in the mix, so to speak. I think Horizon was their peak and still featured Karen's "old" voice, but the arrangements were not the same as the ones heard on N&T largely. They found a balance on the early stuff that had a light touch to balance out the mournful ballads which later just shifted totally towards the latter mostly. You can hear a tighter reign on the 69-73 songs that made the songs explode with a distinctive joy tinged with sadness.

David A likes this.
  2. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

I notice that the resource has a time of
    4:37 for the Song
    "Happy".....
    The LP Horizon has the song clocking in at 3:50.
    The CD Treasures (Japan issue) gets to 3:45 (it fades away quickly....)
    Which leads to my query:
    is the Treasures version the same mix as the LP ?

Don Malcolm likes this.
  3. Thanks for catching that GaryAlan. It's a typo perpetuated by the fact that I used the CDs when compiling the data for the Resource. And on the back of the HORIZON CD - both that I have, original and Remastered, the track is listed as 4:37. It has, however, never appeared at that length anywhere.

scan0002b.jpg

I've changed the Resource's timing to read 3:48 for "Happy". Thanks again for catching that.

Don Malcolm and theninjarabbit like this.
  4. GaryAlan

Here is Richard and Karen's October 30,1978 interview
    (from Reader's Digest Set):
    Solitaire....
    "R: I heard Solitaire on a Neil Sedaka album. It caught my ear and then I forgot about it.
    Then, Andy Williams had a hit with it in England and,of course, I remembered it again.
    It's not one of Karen's favorites, but she sings the hell out of it.
    K: It's a good record, but never did...For some strange reason, he loves it, the vocal performance.
    I liked it too,but somehow it drags for me. I don't know."

Carpe diem likes this.
  5. I always wondered if the little "tiff" that Richard and Neil Sedaka had in Vegas in 1975 had any influence on Karen not liking the recording. She was fiercely protective of her brother and the Carpenter brand. The song doesn't drag any more than Crescent Noon and most fans agree that Solitaire was one of her best (if not the best) performances.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017 at 6:42 PM
    Jamesj75 likes this.
  6. ars nova

ars nova New Member

I was a teen, and the biggest " out " carpenters fan in dallas, when the boston pops concert aired. the band was great, Karen and Richard were generous, allowing bandmates their moments in the sun. I was disappointed with Karen's vocals; the notes were there, but little emotion. it was during this performance that I realized that when she tried to connect with the audience, her facial posture changed the quality of her voice. while singing with the wide eyed "surprised" look,, there was no emotional connection to the lyric. thankfully other live recordings were stunning presenting the innuendo of the studio recordings.

I've never understood some negative reactions to the instrumentals and Richard taking lead vocal. carpenters were Karen and Richard not Karen and her near-sighted brother that plays piano for her.

7. GaryAlan

^^Nice to read an alternative viewpoint, Ars Nova !
    I really believe the 1974 Pops Performance needed no
    Warsaw Concerto,
    (whether or not I enjoy the performance is beside the point):
    the majority of the watching public would have tuned in to hear Karen sing,
    not tuned in to watch a solo-piano performance. Regardless of who was on the piano !
    And, his performance--solitary on piano--only reinforces the "separateness" of the two
    performers ! "Carpenters" did not perform Warsaw Concerto--that was all Richard,
    what else is the public supposed to take away from that ?
    (Of course, I say the same regarding Karen solo-ing on the drums. Great as she is
    on drums, those drum solos in the later concerts/tv shows only reinforce "separateness."

8. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Imagine being only 25 years old and being the world's best known singer at the time. The pressure she must have felt! And the pressure a 28 year old Richard must have felt to keep the hits coming.

9. Carl

Carl New Member

I love this album and it's one I play often. It's among my favourite of the albums and one I was desperate to get my hands on years ago. I was so pleased when I eventually got a copy of it. While the album contains a number of ballads it's nicely book ended by two short tracks which ends and starts the album nicely. A favourite track has to be solitaire. Karen's vocals are amazing in this track and it's like she's in the room singing with you. I don't mind the cover art but I prefer the Anthology artwork.

GaryAlan and Carpe diem like this.
  10. Agree. In the cut throat music business where "what have you done for me lately" rules supreme; pretty heady stuff to have to deal with. Their "management" during their career left a lot to be desired.

11. GaryAlan

Wasn't Sherwin Bash also Herb Alpert's manager during the period ? Who complained at that time ?
    Weintraub, after Bash, secured a better re-signing deal (as per Coleman),
    so, perhaps royalty payouts were better than previously.
    Also, reading: A&M Records,The First 25 Years (according to Derek Green)
    Alpert and Carpenters were the top international artists of the time, thus
    explaining the decisions to concentrate efforts of the duo outside of the USA,
    especially when popularity/sales started to decline in the USA.
    No matter what I may think of the two respective Managers:
    it is clear that nearly every decision was made on the basis of maximizing monetary
    incentive for minimum expenditure.

12. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Sherwin Bash was their manager up to late 1975 and they signed with Weintraub I believe in January 1, 1976. He secured them their first TV special and also better royalties as he felt their previous deal with A&M, given their status on the label as a major act, had been terrible. That deal also gave Richard exclusive right of approval on all future release of Carpenter material, which is why he maintains such strict control to this day on their catalogue and vaults.