1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Official Review [Album]: "HORIZON" (SP-4530)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Jun 1, 2013.

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

1. ***** (BEST)

33 vote(s)
    49.3%
  2. ****

23 vote(s)
    34.3%
  3. ***

8 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. **

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. *

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Their 1969-1973 sound was quite different from their later sound; much more baroque and eclectic, whereas from Horizon on it was more air in the mix, so to speak. I think Horizon was their peak and still featured Karen's "old" voice, but the arrangements were not the same as the ones heard on N&T largely. They found a balance on the early stuff that had a light touch to balance out the mournful ballads which later just shifted totally towards the latter mostly. You can hear a tighter reign on the 69-73 songs that made the songs explode with a distinctive joy tinged with sadness.

David A likes this.
  2. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

I notice that the resource has a time of
    4:37 for the Song
    "Happy".....
    The LP Horizon has the song clocking in at 3:50.
    The CD Treasures (Japan issue) gets to 3:45 (it fades away quickly....)
    Which leads to my query:
    is the Treasures version the same mix as the LP ?

Don Malcolm likes this.
  3. Thanks for catching that GaryAlan. It's a typo perpetuated by the fact that I used the CDs when compiling the data for the Resource. And on the back of the HORIZON CD - both that I have, original and Remastered, the track is listed as 4:37. It has, however, never appeared at that length anywhere.

scan0002b.jpg

I've changed the Resource's timing to read 3:48 for "Happy". Thanks again for catching that.

Don Malcolm and theninjarabbit like this.