⭐ Official Review [Album]: "HORIZON" (SP-4530)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 51 49.0%

Votes: 36 34.6%

Votes: 13 12.5%

Votes: 2 1.9%

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
If we only listened to or watched people who are perfect, or are just like us, there would be no entertainment for us. But I do understand choosing not to be entertained by someone who only makes you feel bad. I try to focus on the content on the music, movie, TV actor, etc. But I still can't watch Charlie Sheen. :hide:

And, in the same vein, the manner in which I 'listen' to Karen Carpenter sing
has changed considerably since February 4,1983.
Very difficult to separate 'the Life' from 'the Music'.
Richard Carpenter has cautioned against 'reading' too much that is autobiographical
into the Carpenters' songs, as he says the songs were performed simply as/for artistry,
not Biography.
So, that pronouncement does help to create a divide between the lyric and Karen's life.
But, it is a tenuous division, at best!

Accompanied by a photo of Karen, Richard and Neil Sedaka:
August 29,1975 Radio and Records
"Neil Sedaka dropped by Karen and Richard Carpenters' annual celebrity softball game,
wishing them luck on the game and with their new A&M single Solitaire, which he wrote.
The benefit this year was held at Rutger's Stadium in New Jersey, and the Carpenters later presented
the President of the New Jersey American Cancer Society checks amounting to $5000 for the fund."

Source:
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/index.htm

This is perhaps one of my favourite albums.
The amazing harmonies in I CAN DREAM CANT I are incredible.
Karen at her very very best

Solitaire,
as performed on the Gold 35th Anniversary CD, or, the '45-single' Version......
Simply Out of This World!
Not only is Horizon still my favorite--after all of these years---
but, I still bristle (oh, that blood pressure, again) at the
sale of merely 600,000 copies for Only Yesterday...(should've been a million seller)...
and, chart peak of only #17 for Solitaire. (In August 9, 1975 , a Billboard National Break-Out).

Did this album get the Quad treatment?
Billboard:
"...Marv Bornstein is A&M's Quad expert.
Before an LP is transferred to Quad the artist must give his permission."(Page 39, August 9, 1975).

Solitaire,
as performed on the Gold 35th Anniversary CD, or, the '45-single' Version......
Simply Out of This World!
Not only is Horizon still my favorite--after all of these years---
but, I still bristle (oh, that blood pressure, again) at the
sale of merely 600,000 copies for Only Yesterday...(should've been a million seller)...
and, chart peak of only #17 for Solitaire. (In August 9, 1975 , a Billboard National Break-Out).

Did this album get the Quad treatment?
Billboard:
"...Marv Bornstein is A&M's Quad expert.
Before an LP is transferred to Quad the artist must give his permission."(Page 39, August 9, 1975).
Sadly, it's not about the quality of the art, talent, output. It's about the fickleness of the populace from one week to the next.

Hits are never defined by the artists! They are only defined by the listeners and the times. You try a new hit, but fickle listeners get bored, get younger. Few artists can follow the twists and turns of the fickle populace no matter how they try!!!!

A nice full page color promo photo of Carpenters (on page 2) shown in Billboard Magazine Jan 18, 1975 and in the same issue Postman goes #1 on Top 50 Easy Listening and #2 on Top 100

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Billboard/70s/1975/Billboard 1975-01-18.pdf

Horizon%20Advert%20Billboard%20Jan%2018%201975.png~original

Billboard%20Top%2050%20Postman%201.png~original

Billboard%20Hot%20100%20Postman%202.png~original

Thanks for these images of the Billboard ads! I am going back to my album reviews and adding them in for history's sake.

Here is another Billboard ad for Horizon and the smash single Only Yesterday indicating the album will be shipping on June 6th 1975
this was found in Billboard issue May 31, 1975. It appears this may have been a B/W full page photo unfortunately the scan is poor and was too bright so I adjusted the contrast some to tone it down a bit.

Billboard%20Only%20Yesterday%20Ad%20May%2031%201975.png~original

WOW, I can't believe I missed this one, it appears A&M placed 2 different ads for Please Mr. Postman in Billboard (one I posted above) and now this one issued in Dec 21, 1974 well ahead of the album Horizon ever being issued. I like this one!!!!
Check out the promo verbiage...."Special Delivery First Class on A&M Records From CARPENTERS

Billboard%20Please%20Mr%20Postman%20Special%20Delivery%20Dec%2021%201974.png~original

Thanks to BarryT60 for a couple of iPhone pictures of these ads. I've added Horizon, Made In America, and A Kind Of Hush. Chris, Barry's photo was a little smoother than yours for Horizon, though yours is nice and square. Tough call. I think we'll stick with Barry's until something better comes along. Barry's MADE IN AMERICA wasn't quite as sharp as one I had on my own computer, so I used that one instead. Barry says that the HUSH ad was just a teaser. We'll see what else he comes up with.

Thanks for that "Postman" ad - that's great!

Harry
...off to ad the Postman ad to the Resource...

WOW, I can't believe I missed this one, it appears A&M placed 2 different ads for Please Mr. Postman in Billboard (one I posted above) and now this one issued in Dec 21, 1974 well ahead of the album Horizon ever being issued. I like this one!!!!
Check out the promo verbiage...."Special Delivery First Class on A&M Records From CARPENTERS

Billboard%20Please%20Mr%20Postman%20Special%20Delivery%20Dec%2021%201974.png~original

This is now my favourite so far! Amazing photo of Karen in her element!

Here is another Billboard ad for Horizon and the smash single Only Yesterday indicating the album will be shipping on June 6th 1975
this was found in Billboard issue May 31, 1975. It appears this may have been a B/W full page photo unfortunately the scan is poor and was too bright so I adjusted the contrast some to tone it down a bit.

Billboard%20Only%20Yesterday%20Ad%20May%2031%201975.png~original
That's a nice picture of them. Not cutesie. More like the Horizon cover.

Back
Top Bottom