1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Official Review [Album]: "LOVELINES" (SP-3931)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Oct 31, 2013.

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

1. ***** (BEST)

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. ****

27 vote(s)
    51.9%
  3. ***

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. **

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  5. *

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

I noticed something of interest today:
    I have two "Memories" 45- Singles of...
    Honolulu City Lights....
    One of the Singles has #AM-8667-A,
    The other has this #75021-8667-7, in addition to a barcode.
    Well, I was unaware that different promo pressings existed; so perhaps this song was
    better received--or, anticipated to be received--than we are aware of ?

It's a great little record !

2. The AM number is the earlier of the two pressings. I believe the 75021 version came after the sale to PolyGram when the catalog numbering scheme changed to the 75021 prefix.

GaryAlan likes this.
  3. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

I had meant to bring this up long ago, somehow forgot (old age ?),
    but, in the song
    If I Had You,
    there is one lyric, three times Karen sings,
    "...again..."
    where I think her voice is far too high--and, too loud--....
    and, in fact, the note seems strangely out of place.

Otherwise, I love the song !
    (The ending, especially).

I had always wondered about Richard's comments regarding the song:
    "...is my favorite from the solo album..."

I would love to know the details as to , Why it is his favorite of all the solo songs ?

4. ars nova

ars nova Active Member

at 16, I received my first telephone, and unfortunately, my first telephone bill. my first call was to pizza hut, and my second call was to a&m. from dallas, I generally made monthly calls for new information. I continued these calls long after Karen's passing. one call let me know that HONOLULU CITY LIGHTS would soon be released. I asked the staffer where the song came from, and tired of being under the " 3rd degree' I was finally told, ' I don't know, it just turned up ". on one of my calls, made during the MADE IN AMERICA timeframe, after another 3rd degree, exhausted, the staffer said, " let me transfer you to their office ". I was blindsided when his exaulted highness, RICHARD CARPENTER and I had a short, but for me a lifetime highlight, conversation.

Walkinat9, GaryAlan and newvillefan like this.
  5. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

6. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Active Member

Hard to believe, but today its been 28 years since Lovelines was released. The best song off the album for Halloween has got to be The Uninvited Guest! Karen's reading just sends chills down your spine, especially when she sings "a ghost is there".

7. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Great anniversary reminder, can’t believe it’s been 28 years though!

That line on The Uninvited Guest is actually

Her ghost is there/
    I can see the outline of her shadow traced in the air/
    Sometimes I see her bending over your shoulder/
    I think “what lies has she told you?”/
    And I see a smile light up your face/
    You liked what she said”

Beautiful song and haunting, offbeat lyrics. It’s one of those unusual, difficult-to-sing tracks that no one else would dare try and cover, because they couldn’t.

goodjeans and Jeff like this.
  8. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

I could almost see that song as an outtake from Horizon.

9. CarpentersToYou

CarpentersToYou What I feel has come and gone before...

To me this is a very, very solid album. I never get tired of it and really must say I probably have listened to it the most. It reminds me of fall time. Listening now.

10. The best album since Horizon, in my opinion (sans the Christmas stuff).

11. newvillefan

It's probably my second favourite album after A Song For You and definitely the one I listen to most. It reminds me of autumn days, leaves falling from the trees (evoked in track #2) and also of winter evenings tucked up in a nice warm house while it's freezing cold outside.

Just sublime in every respect.

12. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Active Member

The Uninvited Guest was an outtake from Made In America, not Horizon. Just shows how much stuff was missing in action on MIA.

13. arthowson

arthowson Active Member

the word "cry" in Guest sends chills. nobody milks sorrow out of a sappy love song like Karen. Wish she were still here.

newvillefan likes this.
  14. AM Matt

AM Matt Well-Known Member

I went to Barnes & Noble to special order the CD but it has been 11 days since. The song "Slow Dance" is my favorite by the late Karen over Kristy McNichol's version. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

15. That's Rolling Stone, I used to subscribe to it back then

Jamesj75 likes this.
  16. I liked Richard's remix of "If I Had You" way better than the original mix. There is a different lead vocal plus I like the ending.
    I had to keep taking the vinyl back to get another copy, it kept skipping, every copy. So I finally got a vinyl copy from Columbia House Record Club. The cover was laminated, but both sides have same label, side one! But the record itself was right and it plays through beautifully. Am glad it's getting the 180 gram re-issue, I will have to replace the Columbia House version as I have played it a lot!

ThaFunkyFakeTation likes this.
  17. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo

Couldn't agree more. Richard got that one right. I never liked the whispered vocal in the first verse and Richard was right to choose another. I also, like you, must prefer his ending. The one on her album just has a boring fade-out. Richard constructs a "cold stop" that's far more appropriate.

Ed

18. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

I still have my original CD copy of Lovelines and to me it's still a wonderfully Timeless album it has a very Autumn like aire to it and I think it's one of the Essential Carpenters Albums

19. ullalume

ullalume Well-Known Member

I'm sure you've heard it, and I can't remember which version of If I Had You it appears on. . .maybe the first remixed version on Lovelines, but as we go into the final call and response section of "You are. .etc" I'm sure, buried in the mix, is Karen talking. It sounds like she says something like "Wait a minute" after one line of "If I had you back in my life...". Presumably it was her direction to a musician that the mic caught and in subsequent versions it's been removed. . . .but has anyone else heard what I'm talking about.

Best

Neil

20. Toolman

Toolman Simple Man, Simple Dream

I don't know...something about that cold stop on "If I Had You" feels kind of gimmicky to me...too much echo or something. It was certainly a good idea for the "Lovelines" sequencing, where the fade would have made for a pretty awkward transition in to "Little Girl Blue". As far as giving Rich credit for its later singles chart performance, the original version was never released as a single, so there's no way to know how it would have performed compared to the remix. I'm really more impressed by and grateful for what he did with the Temperton songs.

21. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    Neil, I just listened to all versions with headphones and I don't hear this at all.

22. newvillefan

I've always noticed that as well, a little bit of dialogue from Karen but not sure if it was left in accidentally or on purpose.

23. AM Matt

AM Matt Well-Known Member

Hopefully I will be picking up the "Lovelines" CD at Barnes & Noble in Midland, Michigan on Friday, November 17!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI