1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to [email protected]. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Official Review [Album]: "NOW & THEN" (SP-3519)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, May 2, 2013.

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

1. ***** (BEST)

10 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. ****

32 vote(s)
    56.1%
  3. ***

14 vote(s)
    24.6%
  4. **

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

Welcome to the boards! :)

Jamesj75, Carpe diem and David A like this.
  2. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

I must say, after listening to the fantastic song
    I Can't Make Music,
    it astounds me that it appears on so few compilations.
    Outside of the actual Now & Then album, it seems to be absent on American Compilations,
    and only a few Non-USA compilations.
    Yesterday Once More and I Can't Make Music
    are my two favorites on this album.....

3. WYBIMLA

WYBIMLA Active Member

^There was a remix of I can't make music on the Treasures album. Subtle differences to my ears.
    I don't think it was used again on any other compilation, but the original mix appeared again in the 2000 Japanese release By Request. That's also a really nice collection I find. Great song!

4. There was a hefty dose of reverb added to the remix for TREASURES (JP), which in this case makes sense given the opening lyrics: "Here I am just sittin' around, with an old piano in a vacant room..."

The reverb adds the sense that the room is really 'vacant.'

That remix also appeared on the giant MAGICAL MEMORIES OF THE CARPENTERS set from 1993.

CraigGA likes this.
  5. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

One of the times when a remix really brings a tired-sounding song to life. I love it!

6. GaryAlan

Realizing that I have expressed disdain for the earlier (or, most)
    flute solos,
    I must retract a bit: I do rather enjoy the flute solo in Jambalaya.
    Oh, well, could simply be that I have not heard it in such a long time !

7. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

I enjoy this album, always have. Karen shows she can sing any style of music and with a precision vocally and spiritually while connecting the listener. Her voice, in perfect health, sings a wide range with ease showcasing the layering of overdubs complimentary to the various styles presented on the album. Her contralto voice sounds perfect singing the oldies and we can hear her joy as she sings as if she is sharing part of herself with us. And, the most perfect song of their career, Yesterday Once More is a highlight!

Craig

Brian likes this.
  8. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Our Day Will Come is my favorite of all the oldies they recorded.

Brian, Carpe diem and Chris Mills like this.
  9. AM Matt

AM Matt Well-Known Member

Besides The Carpenters version of "Our Day Will Come", I also loved Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass instrumental version (from 1966 "S.R.O."). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

CraigGA likes this.
  10. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Mine too. Karen's voice is just gorgeous on this song, possibly the best I've heard her. Like velvet.

11. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

The piano arrangement is excellent as well. It matches Karen's vocals and drumming. It is a great song on its own and they took it to another level!

Carpe diem and newvillefan like this.
  12. ars nova

ars nova Active Member

i'm sure Richard would not have wanted to create the impression the medley was included as a time saver because they didn't have enough time to do " the good stuff" . the same reasoning was offered for the medley on the tan album. time restraints are real and carpenters were the a&m cow. both medleys are outstanding examples of their work. I always felt there was never enough on any album, i'm just greedy.

Jamesj75 likes this.
  13. GaryAlan

As I was listening to Now & Then, I was struck by
    the great guitar work on Da-Doo-Ron-Ron....
    is it Tony Peluso or Gary Sims, there ?
    Also, I note that the actual LP Cover has no indication of the songs inside,
    so I wonder if the LP Cover could have been formatted better , so as to
    list those songs....increasing sales or chart status at the time ?
    (The cd does have the track listing on back !).

Jamesj75 likes this.
  14. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

I agree with the previous comments about Our Day Will Come. It was the sparkling gem of a great oldies medley. The Piano, drum work, and needless to say, those vocals! Again, as with This Masquerade, I really love the Richard/Karen harmonies...whooowoooo...

15. Rumbahbah

Rumbahbah Active Member

Agreed on 'Our Day Will Come' - it's lovely. Just like the magic fit they had with Leon Russell songs, they always seemed to come up trumps when they covered Ruby and the Romantics tracks. I think 'Johnny Angel' is probably my favourite song in the medley (those backing vocals...) but this runs it a very close second.

theninjarabbit likes this.
  16. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

"Just like the magic fit they had with Leon Russell songs, they always seemed to come up trumps when they covered Ruby and the Romantics tracks."

Agreed! Our Day Will Come, Hurting Each Other and Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore sound as if they were written for Karen to sing and Richard to produce and arrange.

Jamesj75 likes this.
  17. GaryAlan

Reading From The Top Liner Notes,
    and Gary Sims is guitarist of credit on the Oldies Medley.
    Well done Gary Sims !

18. ullalume

ullalume Well-Known Member

Good stuff Gary. I never realised your name sake played guitar in the medley. However it's still Tony handling those solos (he's credited with lead guitar.)

Neil

19. GaryAlan

^^Thanks,Neil !
    By the way, I must add that Now & Then,
    which I played today, is sounding mighty good these days !
    As an added bonus, I love how some of these oldies selections were placed on
    the Reader's Digest (Disc 2) , sans DJ...Karen's vocals are ever more crystallized.

20. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

Da Doo Ron Ron is sorely missed on that set...

Mark-T likes this.
  21. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    Storybook Success Newest Hit Single "Sing"
    Record World April 14, 1973

[​IMG]

22. ars nova

ars nova Active Member

has there ever been an explanation for this? the screaming guitar and the difference of how the " yeahs " are pronounced, as opposed to the live albums, makes this high energy track my favorite from the medley......who am I kidding?, they are all my favorite, or maybe ONE FINE DAY is, ahhh for the summer of '73,,,,,, i'm in my happy place,,,, shooby do ang lang.

Jeff and Chris Mills like this.
  23. GaryAlan

Interesting stats regards
    Jambalaya....
    Holland #3 - Feb 1974 (11 weeks),
    Belgium#7 - Feb 1974 (10 weeks),
    Austria #8 - May 1974 (2 weeks),
    UK #12 - Mar 1974 (11 weeks).

More:
    Song artist 85 - Carpenters

Brian and Chris Mills like this.
  24. Personally, even though the album concept was born of a lack of original songs, I always felt the end result was nothing short of a masterpiece; a true showcasing of each (and all) of their individual talents. Not to mention the album art; though it too was said to be an unoriginal idea, I think it turned out magnificent.

Mark-T likes this.
  25. GaryAlan

Music to Cook to: A Contemplative Culinary Playlist
    "Music to Cook to: A Contemplative Culinary Playlist"
    Written by Riddles — Posted on 11.22.17
    "...the right transition into the head-scratchingly odd yet uniquely fascinating take by
    The Carpenters on the New Orleans-celebrating Creole classic “Jambalaya (On The Bayou).”
    "Upon first glance, one might discount this seemingly high fructose corn syrup version
    of the more typically gritty Louisiana cuisine-saluting tune,
    but darned if that Karen Carpenter doesn’t figure out a way to sneak into your heart
    with her soothing tones (and light rock drumming skills)."

A listener....who does not realize that Hal Blaine drums on Jambalaya.....
    Otherwise, a nice shout-out for Jambalaya.....Carpenters' style.....