⭐ Official Review [Album]: "NOW & THEN" (SP-3519)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 17 19.5%

Votes: 49 56.3%

Votes: 20 23.0%

Votes: 1 1.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I must say, after listening to the fantastic song
I Can't Make Music,
it astounds me that it appears on so few compilations.
Outside of the actual Now & Then album, it seems to be absent on American Compilations,
and only a few Non-USA compilations.
Yesterday Once More and I Can't Make Music
are my two favorites on this album.....

^There was a remix of I can't make music on the Treasures album. Subtle differences to my ears.
I don't think it was used again on any other compilation, but the original mix appeared again in the 2000 Japanese release By Request. That's also a really nice collection I find. Great song!

There was a hefty dose of reverb added to the remix for TREASURES (JP), which in this case makes sense given the opening lyrics: "Here I am just sittin' around, with an old piano in a vacant room..."

The reverb adds the sense that the room is really 'vacant.'

That remix also appeared on the giant MAGICAL MEMORIES OF THE CARPENTERS set from 1993.

There was a hefty dose of reverb added to the remix for TREASURES (JP), which in this case makes sense given the opening lyrics: "Here I am just sittin' around, with an old piano in a vacant room..."

The reverb adds the sense that the room is really 'vacant.'

That remix also appeared on the giant MAGICAL MEMORIES OF THE CARPENTERS set from 1993.

One of the times when a remix really brings a tired-sounding song to life. I love it!

Realizing that I have expressed disdain for the earlier (or, most)
flute solos,
I must retract a bit: I do rather enjoy the flute solo in Jambalaya.
Oh, well, could simply be that I have not heard it in such a long time !

I enjoy this album, always have. Karen shows she can sing any style of music and with a precision vocally and spiritually while connecting the listener. Her voice, in perfect health, sings a wide range with ease showcasing the layering of overdubs complimentary to the various styles presented on the album. Her contralto voice sounds perfect singing the oldies and we can hear her joy as she sings as if she is sharing part of herself with us. And, the most perfect song of their career, Yesterday Once More is a highlight!

Craig

Besides The Carpenters version of "Our Day Will Come", I also loved Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass instrumental version (from 1966 "S.R.O."). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

1991, From The Top
Quoting Richard Carpenter, Liner Notes:
"Beginning with our 1972 Summer Tour we included an "Oldies" Medley
in concert. It met with such favorable response that we decided to include a
similar Medley in our forthcoming Album and limit the selection to 1960's vintage."

No mention here of having to do a Medley
on the Now & Then LP due to forced time constraints,
or lack of studio time due to constant touring.

i'm sure Richard would not have wanted to create the impression the medley was included as a time saver because they didn't have enough time to do " the good stuff" . the same reasoning was offered for the medley on the tan album. time restraints are real and carpenters were the a&m cow. both medleys are outstanding examples of their work. I always felt there was never enough on any album, i'm just greedy.

As I was listening to Now & Then, I was struck by
the great guitar work on Da-Doo-Ron-Ron....
is it Tony Peluso or Gary Sims, there ?
Also, I note that the actual LP Cover has no indication of the songs inside,
so I wonder if the LP Cover could have been formatted better , so as to
list those songs....increasing sales or chart status at the time ?
(The cd does have the track listing on back !).

I agree with the previous comments about Our Day Will Come. It was the sparkling gem of a great oldies medley. The Piano, drum work, and needless to say, those vocals! Again, as with This Masquerade, I really love the Richard/Karen harmonies...whooowoooo...

Agreed on 'Our Day Will Come' - it's lovely. Just like the magic fit they had with Leon Russell songs, they always seemed to come up trumps when they covered Ruby and the Romantics tracks. I think 'Johnny Angel' is probably my favourite song in the medley (those backing vocals...) but this runs it a very close second.

"Just like the magic fit they had with Leon Russell songs, they always seemed to come up trumps when they covered Ruby and the Romantics tracks."

Agreed! Our Day Will Come, Hurting Each Other and Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore sound as if they were written for Karen to sing and Richard to produce and arrange.

Reading From The Top Liner Notes,
and Gary Sims is guitarist of credit on the Oldies Medley.
Well done Gary Sims !

Reading From The Top Liner Notes,
and Gary Sims is guitarist of credit on the Oldies Medley.
Well done Gary Sims !

Good stuff Gary. I never realised your name sake played guitar in the medley. However it's still Tony handling those solos (he's credited with lead guitar.)

Neil

^^Thanks,Neil !
By the way, I must add that Now & Then,
which I played today, is sounding mighty good these days !
As an added bonus, I love how some of these oldies selections were placed on
the Reader's Digest (Disc 2) , sans DJ...Karen's vocals are ever more crystallized.

^^Thanks,Neil !
By the way, I must add that Now & Then,
which I played today, is sounding mighty good these days !
As an added bonus, I love how some of these oldies selections were placed on
the Reader's Digest (Disc 2) , sans DJ...Karen's vocals are ever more crystallized.
Da Doo Ron Ron is sorely missed on that set...

Storybook Success Newest Hit Single "Sing"
Record World April 14, 1973

Carpenters%20Storybook%20Success%20Sing%20RW%20April%2014%201973.jpg~original

Da Doo Ron Ron is sorely missed on that set...

has there ever been an explanation for this? the screaming guitar and the difference of how the " yeahs " are pronounced, as opposed to the live albums, makes this high energy track my favorite from the medley......who am I kidding?, they are all my favorite, or maybe ONE FINE DAY is, ahhh for the summer of '73,,,,,, i'm in my happy place,,,, shooby do ang lang.

Personally, even though the album concept was born of a lack of original songs, I always felt the end result was nothing short of a masterpiece; a true showcasing of each (and all) of their individual talents. Not to mention the album art; though it too was said to be an unoriginal idea, I think it turned out magnificent.

Music to Cook to: A Contemplative Culinary Playlist
"Music to Cook to: A Contemplative Culinary Playlist"
Written by Riddles — Posted on 11.22.17
"...the right transition into the head-scratchingly odd yet uniquely fascinating take by
The Carpenters on the New Orleans-celebrating Creole classic “Jambalaya (On The Bayou).”
"Upon first glance, one might discount this seemingly high fructose corn syrup version
of the more typically gritty Louisiana cuisine-saluting tune,
but darned if that Karen Carpenter doesn’t figure out a way to sneak into your heart
with her soothing tones (and light rock drumming skills)."

A listener....who does not realize that Hal Blaine drums on Jambalaya.....
Otherwise, a nice shout-out for Jambalaya.....Carpenters' style.....

Back
Top Bottom