1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to [email protected]. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Official Review [Album]: "OFFERING"/"TICKET TO RIDE" (SP-4205)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Jan 1, 2013.

How Would You Rate This Album?

1. ***** (Best)

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. ****

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. ***

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  4. **

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  5. *

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    Terrific Harry, feels like we just got a new remix. Love the effect and it does give off a mono feel also like the ending fade.

2. I'm still not happy with the fade in at the start. It needs a reworking somehow.

Harry

3. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Great job Harry. I really like how you evened out the volume.

I don't think I'd seen that alternate "Offering" picture before. Richard looks like a pastor giving the benediction, which seems fitting when you think about it. Either that, or he's telling one whopper of a fish story! :laugh:

4. There were two of them that surfaced somewhere. They're probably in our thread on rare or unseen photos (actually they're in the cringe-inducing thread!), but here they are in full:

Carpenters Offering 1969 outtake 1.jpg

Carpenters Offering 1969 outtake 2.jpg

I thought as an unused photo from the OFFERING shoot, it would make a good picture sleeve for this mythical single.

Harry

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  5. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Wow, Harry. Your remix really does the song justice! Thanks for sharing!

6. Not satisfied with that fade at the start, I added in the original piano-tinkling and segued it at an appropriate point. This makes the track 3:30 which was certainly a limit for an unknown artist in 1969.

Harry

Don Malcolm likes this.
  7. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    Harry somehow this photo will end up on google search and people will start looking for the Someday 45 single with this cover art. Ya know it's gonna happen. :laugh:

Don Malcolm likes this.
  8. Oh, I'm well aware of it! I expect to see it on eBay, umm, "Someday"... :laugh:

Harry

Don Malcolm likes this.
  9. Charlie D

Charlie D Active Member

What font is that?

10. Caslon Open Face

11. Charlie D

Charlie D Active Member

Gracias!

12. Charlie D

Charlie D Active Member

Has anyone seen the outtake pic from this shoot where there on the steps and there both looking at each other?

13. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Charlie D likes this.
  14. song4u

song4u Well-Known Member

Ewww. That's one for the "making them look like a couple" category. What were they thinking??

byline and Don Malcolm like this.
  15. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

I did not originally find that picture; one of the folks I follow on Tumblr posted it. I remembered seeing it when I read that comment, so I went and found it. Enjoy :)

And to answer your comment song4u, :shrug:
    At least it didn't make the final cut. :D

16. Charlie D

Charlie D Active Member

Thank you so much! As unusual as the posing is, I actually really like this snapshot somehow, with the sun hitting the lens and just the overall late 60s youthfulness. I find it interesting that Karen is dressed in colors almost identical to the sunflower.

Don Malcolm likes this.
  17. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

WOW that's a new one on me, thanks for posting! I actually really like it, very in keeping with the feel of the album...summer, sixties, youthfulness :)

Charlie D and Don Malcolm like this.
  18. Charlie D

Charlie D Active Member

That's the perfect description! I love this pic and that aura you feel from it, a real, wistful snapshot of an era of innocence slowly fading away. It makes me so happy, yet sad. They both are so young, vibrant and lively looking. You want to travel back to that time to see them and experience life with them and just live in the moment.

Don Malcolm likes this.
  19. And lookie here. See what's bubbled up to #2: :)
    SomedaySearch.jpg

Harry

Don Malcolm likes this.
  20. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    OMG what did I tell you, I knew this would happen. Harry didn't you even call it Mythical Mix lol

21. Well that of course is the link to MY YouTube video, but it's already up there in the list if anyone should happen to key in "Carpenters Someday Single" in google.

Harry

22. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    Here is another review I had not seen before from High Fidelity Magazine, Feb 1970.
    While I don't agree with the article saying some of the album cuts were "dumb" it's an unusual article displaying the "Offering" title for review.

[​IMG]

23. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    What's crazy about this article is that even back in Feb 1970 reviewers didn't want the Carpenters to succeed, time and time again we have seen this, why did they not want this group to succeed and be successful instead they had to either dig at their looks or their songwriting or pick something apart. Why is that? This person writes.."a see-saw of thrilling and unfortunate work", huh? unfortunate?

24. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

What's also strange is he played side B thinking it was side A.