⭐ Official Review [Album]: "PASSAGE" (SP-4703)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 10 9.3%

Votes: 55 50.9%

Votes: 35 32.4%

Votes: 7 6.5%

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
Further reflection upon Ray Coleman's assessment of
Don't Cry For Me Argentina
truly confounds my senses.
Not only does Karen sing the song beautifully,
I have played this song for many a non-fan throughout the years,
and,
they concur,
it is one of the best (if not the best) renditions they have ever heard of this song.

My questions, then:
(1) What is Ray Coleman hearing in this song, such that he would describe Karen's vocals as "lost" ?
And
(2) Why, from 1977 til the present, has Richard Carpenter's assessment of the song ( as recorded)
changed so dramatically (even given the quote below) ?
Richard Carpenter:
".....and I immediately felt it was perfect for Karen,
though now I feel differently,
as I believe the song doesn’t linger long enough in a lower register, a great area for Karen’s voice. "

(1) What is Ray Coleman hearing in this song, such that he would describe Karen's vocals as "lost" ?

I've raised my eyebrows at Coleman's statements fairly often.
Getting back to Chris May's comment about contrasts...much of "Argentina" is bombast, but it pays off at the lines, "Have I said too much? There's nothing more I can think of to say to you..." through "...every word is true....". Suddenly it's very intimate, primarily Karen's vocal against a softly strumming acoustic guitar. The softness draws the listener in for the big moment, Karen holding the note on "true" and orchestral climax. Pretty nicely done, I think. If Coleman can't appreciate that, it's his loss.

There are several impressive moments in the song, but that's the one that has always grabbed me the most and vaulted over other versions that I've heard.

It is amazing to me that she was willing to put up with so much from Richard, especially once she was well established. She could have walked away at any time and gone and done amazing things on her own, but that intense guilt (either personal or set upon her by her mother/Richard - and possible brainwashing) kept her with him and putting up with what he wanted to record.

I think that it's a direct result of that which resulted in the MIA album.

Here is a 1 page ad that I had not seen before, it's somewhat different than the other ad for "Calling Occupants"
Cashbox Sept 17, 1977
Cashbox%20Sept%2017%201977%20Calling%20Occupants%20Ad.png~original

"Backed with the wilder full version". That suggests the B-side was the longer album version with the DJ intro but I always understood the B-side to be Can't Smile Without You?

My guess, they're referring to the version of the single sent to radio (giving programmers/DJs the option of playing the edited or full version).

When I first read that article I thought it said "a wider full version" I guess I was relating it to big orchestra. Then I noticed it actually said wilder then I thought the writer must have been talking about the chatter intro and how wild that must have been on a record playing over the air waves. My guess is no matter how cool it might have sounded DJ's probably didn't want to play a 7 min song.

Actually there are two different versions of the promo 45 that exist. I've got a promo 45 of Occupants that has on Side 1 a stereo version of the Edited version, while Side 2 has a mono version of the edited version.

Of course my promo copy also says that it was manufactured by A&M Records of Canada in Scarborough, and the label is different with a big red A on both sides and the A&M logo being under the title on the left side.

In trying to complete my collection of Japanese 45-pressings,
I realized I am missing Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft.
Now, I absolutely love that song--did from first hear.
Now, my dilemma:
The flip side of the Japan-issued single is
Mr. Guder !

I may never get this Single.
Give me a break, Mr. Guder on the flip !

I am on the e-mail list for MeTV, the retro TV (U.S.) cable channel. Today I came across an article, entitled "11 strange, forgotten and underloved albums by massive music stars" (11 strange, forgotten and underloved albums by massive music stars »).

The good news: Carpenters made the cut as "massive music stars."

The bad news: Our favorite duo came in at #4 on this list with 1977's Passage. The article provides the full version of "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" and states:

After a legendary run, the duo hit a bump on its eighth album in 1977. Karen refrained from displaying her formidable drumming skills, instead singing an unpredictable selection of songs like "B'wana She No Home" and "Don't Cry for Me Argentina." Though no song stands out quite like "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft," seven minutes of extraterrestrial contact. That enjoyably kooky track did hit No. 1 in Ireland, though!

I think it's fair to say the selection of songs was "unpredictable," yet most of us fans have found gems on this release that we enjoy!

Notice, yet, again,the number of reviewers--and, the public-- under the impression that
Karen Carpenter utilized her "formidable drumming skills" on Carpenters' recordings.
Astoundingly few of those recordings utilized those formidable skills.
Passage....highly under-rated on so many levels.....
Still in my Top Five Albums......

Notice, yet, again,the number of reviewers--and, the public-- under the impression that
Karen Carpenter utilized her "formidable drumming skills" on Carpenters' recordings.
Astoundingly few of those recordings utilized those formidable skills.
Passage....highly under-rated on so many levels.....
Still in my Top Five Albums......

Great point about Karen's drumming, GaryAlan! Passage is in my Top Five as well, although even my assessment of Passage has evolved over time...

Also on that list is the untypical, yet amazing, WATERTOWN by Frank Sinatra. This is one that I discovered a few years ago and it instantly vaulted to my all-time favorites list.

If you get the chance to listen to it, do so. Listen to it completely, all the way through, and don't be doing something else. LISTEN to it. If you have to do something else, follow along with the lyrics printed inside the LP or CD. Let the story wash over you. It's truly amazing.

This was scheduled to maybe be the soundtrack to a TV-movie, but plans were canceled when the album didn't sell as expected.

Harry

Though not a huge fan of
Man Smart, Woman Smarter
I do enjoy Ed Green's
drumming very much on this song.
Also, Vince Charles does his thing
on Steel Drums.

Couldn't help but notice the (incorrect ?) spelling of Gene Perling credited on
Passage Album's
vocal arrangement for
B'Wana She No Home.
Otherwise known as Gene Puerling, his oeuvre is incredible.
Of note, too, on this song:
Piano by Pete Jolly
Electric Piano Larry Muhoberac

Then too, on Passage,
Richard Carpenter is credited with Tack Piano on
Man Smart, Woman Smarter
while on
Sweet, Sweet Smile that duty goes to Tom Hensley.

Couldn't help but notice the (incorrect ?) spelling of Gene Perling credited on
Passage Album's
vocal arrangement for
B'Wana She No Home.
Otherwise known as Gene Puerling, his oeuvre is incredible...

Gary, I believe that vocal arrangement is an art form. I always thought that Richard handled all such duties (overdubs, etc.). Per your post, I looked up Mr. Puerling (Eugene Thomas Puerling) and learned that he worked with a number of groups, including Take 6 and Manhattan Transfer. His work with the latter group gave him a Grammy in 1982 for vocal arrangement. It's a shame that Richard and Karen didn't earn more Grammy wins. And given Richard's prowess as arranger, it's a shame he didn't win any of his Grammy nominations for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocals.

Regarding spelling, you got his name as well as the often misspelled word, "oeuvre," correct in the same sentence. I would expect no less from you, GaryAlan!

---So says Jamesj75 who proofread his own post several times to ensure no misspellings... :)

I just managed to scan my promo copy of the Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft 45 the contains the Mono version of the Edited Mix. You can see them here:
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca/carpenters.php

So it's a Canadian pressing, surprised no one has ever mentioned this mono version before from Canada. You should upload these images to Discog's website.

Tom I sent you a private message several weeks ago, what about Make Believe It's Your First Time?

I've double checked my copy of Make Believe It's Your First Time. Turns out it is stereo on both sides, however the packaging that I got it in is the commercial package that lists both Believe and Dreams (even though Dreams is not on the 45). Kind of odd, considering that I've got a copy of The Christmas Song that is a promo that features the commercial packaging (with the note about the Christmas Portrait TV special) and both The Christmas Song/Merry Christmas Darling".

I've double checked my copy of Make Believe It's Your First Time. Turns out it is stereo on both sides, however the packaging that I got it in is the commercial package that lists both Believe and Dreams (even though Dreams is not on the 45). Kind of odd, considering that I've got a copy of The Christmas Song that is a promo that features the commercial packaging (with the note about the Christmas Portrait TV special) and both The Christmas Song/Merry Christmas Darling".

Did you/do you work in radio to get all of these promo copies?

Thank you tomswift2002 for the picture verification. I've added a note about the mono mix to the Resource.

Back
Top Bottom