1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Official Review [Album]: "VOICE OF THE HEART" (SP-4954)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Sep 30, 2013.

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

1. ***** (BEST)

12 vote(s)
    20.3%
  2. ****

19 vote(s)
    32.2%
  3. ***

23 vote(s)
    39.0%
  4. **

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. *

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. BarryT60

BarryT60 Well-Known Member

I am mixed on Make Believe... I want to like her solo version more... and in many ways it's like a totally different tune.. Maybe it is because it is the first thing I heard new after Karen's death, or maybe because I really like the sad, introspective arrangement, but I always was enchanted by her vocal on the Voice of the Heart version. Seemed beefier to me.

I just do not like that chorale... :rolleyes:

2. That's interesting because for me it's flipped. I think I would like the solo version more of her vocal was stronger - she sounds like she's running out of breath and just all around wispy. And we all know she was capable of conveying vulnerability whilst sounding sturdy. Sounded like a ONJ impression. I much prefer her vocals on the Carpenters version, much richer, more natural sounding for her. As we know, Richard knew how to her arrange her voice technically much better than Ramone so he knew how to pull forth that deeper, more comfortable range.

3. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

As is often the case, I had to return to listening to each song side-by-side:
    Perhaps I erred in my original assessment. What impedes my greater appreciation
    of the Voice of The Heart version is not Karen's vocals, but the over-all arrangement.
    (1) The intrusive choir needs to be jettisoned.
    (2) The added bridge has Karen singing too high (IMHO). If you are writing a bridge
    specifically for Karen Carpenter, you should think to bring in more of the 'basement.'
    (3) There is (IMHO) more accentuating of the 'high' notes in the later than in the solo.
    (4) The notes held by Karen in solo version seem to have more impact than Voice version .
    (5) The strings and pedal guitar in Voice version are beautiful.
    However, the Piano accompaniment in solo version is used to great effect.

4. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

All of which is very ironic given that Richard's main criticism of Karen's album is that Phil had her singing too high.

5. sing AWSOMLY high!, i just love how she sounds, make believe. my vote goes to solo kc. if there was a way to dump the ok choir on the carpenters version... now that would be a treat!

6. The choir really needed to go but it doesn't bother me like it does for many others. I think the bridge also makes it more compelling, and though she is too high she still nails it in feeling.

I still have a place in my heart for the solo version but I think her second vocal is technically richer and more comfortable sounding for her.

7. Sheena

Sheena Member

Much better than Made In America IMO.

Mark-T likes this.
  8. WYBIMLA

WYBIMLA Active Member

When was the Carpenters "Make Believe" recorded?

Seems like not long after Karen knew her solo album was shelved.

Obviously, she was professional... I don't know how she went ahead and sung something from a personal project again to be re-formetted for a Carpenter album.
    No less an act of sheer determination and recognizing that it's a good song.

If it had been put out on MIA and fans asked of the origin of it... that would be awkward to explain wouldn't it?
    It almost seems like there wasn't really reason to record it during the MIA sessions... because it was to end up being unreleased anyway (Rich stated "Now" would have been the only follow up).

I agree 100% with fans saying the choral is intrusive. I'd like to hear that deleted for an alternative mix.

Mary Beth likes this.
  9. newvillefan

Between May and August 1980, so not long after Karen's album was shelved.

Mary Beth likes this.
  10. Chris Mills

Chris Mills Well-Known Member

When I listen to the chorus on Sailing On The Tide I can hear the following lyric:

Sailing on the tide in the morning
    How I love that salty air

Take a look at the lyrics from the CD insert and it reads as follows:

Sailing on the tide in the morning
    Open sea and salty air

11. The printed lyrics are probably what John Bettis wrote, but Karen probably changed them to an easier-to-sing set of words.

Chris Mills likes this.
  12. newvillefan

The printed lyrics are wrong, your hearing is fine :)

Chris Mills likes this.
  13. Chris Mills

I stumbled across this lyric change in the chorus by chance while playing the album. During playback of Sailing On The Tide, I couldn't understand what Karen was singing when she reached the segment of the song with the lyric:

Leaving at dawn
    After I'm gone things'll go on

It was after checking the lyric that I then noticed that the chorus had been changed.

14. newvillefan

Karen's pronunciation on the word "leaving" is a bit sloppy, which is also what confused me way back when I first heard it. She doesn't sing the letter "l" properly, so bizarrely it sounds like she's singing "heaving at dawn".

Also, the second line above is actually "After I'm gone life will go on" as far as I remember.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017 at 3:59 AM
    Chris Mills likes this.
  15. Chris Mills

You've found another lyric change.

newvillefan likes this.
  16. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Active Member

Well it's not the first time Karen changed the lyrics of a song.