1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to [email protected]. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Official Review [Album]: "VOICE OF THE HEART" (SP-4954)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Sep 30, 2013.

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

1. ***** (BEST)

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. ****

21 vote(s)
    30.9%
  3. ***

26 vote(s)
    38.2%
  4. **

6 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. *

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Ordinary would've played well over Portland's FM Kink smooth jazz.

2. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

In another thread, Ed mentions the " audio-master-plus " series,
    and, many of my cd's are stamped with that insignia.
    My Voice Of The Heart cd, is an "audio-master-plus, "
    and, it sounds so very good to my ears.

So, whether or not " audio-master-plus " has any sonic significance,
    (outside of marketing),
    I still believe that Voice Of The Heart is a very good album !
    Not,
    Lovelines great...
    but, in its own way, a very nice listen.
    I'd like to think that the new 2017 vinyl set with increase appreciation of these three LP's:
    Passage, Voice Of The Heart, and
    Lovelines......

Jeff likes this.
  3. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Active Member

As I recall from somewhere else, apparently the AM+ logo was first used by A&M on high quality vinyl pressings of the late-70's, early-80's to indicate that the mastering and production was of higher quality than the regular vinyl pressing. And when CD's came out, A&M just slapped the logo on to indicate that CD's offered a better sound quality. It was A&M's version of the warning that you saw on a lot of CD's of the time (I can think of Michael Bolton's The Hunger and Burl Ives' Have A Holly Jolly Christmas, with Ives' CD I just picked up about 8 years ago, having notes saying that CD's offer a higher resolution for audio than the "old" analog tapes, and you might hear limitations on the CD) that were coming from analog copies.

4. GaryAlan

Oops, I missed it....10/17/1983....release date for Voice Of The Heart !
    Happy Birthday to one of my favorite albums....
    so what, there are no "hit singles" here, but this is a nicely sequenced album...
    And, that utilization of sax on Prime Time Love....I do enjoy that very much !
    Two Lives is a heck of a song.....Love Look To Your Dreams.....listen to that final
    "...seems..." as sung by Karen Carpenter.....

5. WYBIMLA

WYBIMLA Active Member

Does anyone notice that a lot of this album not only seems fairly low on overall volume, but it seems Karen's voice is Eq'd without much higher frequencies...
    I don't know how else to explain it, but compared to Akiko's album who's tone and within a similar range... Akiko pops out more in the mix to my ears.
    I don't think it was a lack of ability on Karen's part or that it wasn't there on the mics she used.
    Was this perhaps due to the technology at the time or a particular aesthetic Richard had in mind when producing Karen?

This is a nit picky thing on my part, but it's only been until now I could put it into words.
    Any techies here have an idea of what I mean?

6. GaryAlan

On top of listening to the LP Christmas Portrait this morning,
    I gave this LP yet another spin....
    again, my opinion has not budged,
    excellent album given its constraints.
    Many "first/only"-take vocal leads makes this one all the more memorable.
    Listen to the flawless-ness when Karen sings...."and, ... I ...I...I...love you more than ever, and ever..."
    on Two Lives.
    Look To Your Dreams....its stand-alone vocals (sans chorus and piano-tail) are beautiful.
    Sailing On The Tide, every bit as good as Happy.
    Prime Time Love....loving that sax !
    You're Enough
    and At The End Of A Song.....still very good to my ears...
    Oh well,
    I now remember why I have Two Promo Posters for this album.

I'd love to get Richard Carpenter's detailed thoughts on each song here.

New Horizons. likes this.
  7. GaryAlan

Oh...back to this album,
    which--as is evident--I have been listening to a lot, lately....
    given the time-frame in which Richard Carpenter completed this Album
    (March 1983 to mid-1983) and, in contrast to the Made In America time-frame,
    I remain more impressed than ever about the positive attributes of this album.
    I really wish that Richard Carpenter felt the same way.
    I'd love to write-- and send (snail-mail)--
    a written letter expressing my admiration for the Album !

8. Sue

Sue Member

uk
    Having a wander around the charity shops yesterday looking for Stickle bricks for my Grandson and found a really good Vinyl copy of this album. A bargain at the price of 99p!

Bobberman likes this.
  9. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

Very nice that's a rare find

Sue likes this.