🎄 Holidays! AN OLD-FASHIONED CHRISTMAS, SIDE "A" [POLL]

Which Side "A" Track Is Your Most Favorite?

• 1.) "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2.) "Overture"

• 3.) "An Old-Fashioned Christmas"

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 4.) "O Holy Night"

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • 5.) "(There's No Place Like) Home For The Holidays"

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • 6.) "Medley"

• 7.) "Little Altar Boy"

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
“AN OLD-FASHIONED CHRISTMAS”
Side A

An_Old_Fashioned_Christmas_THUMB.jpg

Track Listing:

1.) It Came Upon A Midnight Clear :43 (Sears/Willis)
2.) Overture 8:13

a. Happy Holiday (Berlin) Irving Berlin Music Company, adm. by Williamson Music Company (ASCAP)
b. The First Noel (P.D. Trad. Old English Carol)
c. March Of The Toys (Herbert) Warner Bros., Inc. (ASCAP)
d. Little Jesus (P.D. From the Oxford Book Of Carols)
e. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (Connor) Jewel Music Publishing Co., Inc. (ASCAP)
f. O Little Town Of Bethlehem (P.D. L.H. Redner) Longitude Music Co. (BMI)
g. In Dulce Jubilo (P.D. 14th Century German melody)
h. Gesu Bambino (The Infant Jesus) (Yon) Beam Me Up Music (ASCAP)
i. Angels We Have Heard On High (P.D. Trad. French Carol)

3.) An Old-Fashioned Christmas 2:34 (Carpenter/Bettis)
4.) O Holy Night 3:31 (P.D. Adolphe Adam/Adapted by Richard Carpenter)
5.) (There’s No Place Like) Home For The Holidays 2:13 (Allen/Stillman)
6.) Medley 3:43

a. Here Comes Santa Claus (Autry/Haldeman) Gene Autry's Western Music Publishing (ASCAP)
b. Frosty The Snowman (Nelson/Rollins) Chappell & Co. (ASCAP)
c. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer (Marks) St. Nicholas Music Inc. (ASCAP)
d. Good King Wenceslas (P.D. John Mason Neale, Adapted by Richard Carpenter) Almo Music Corp./Hammer and Nails Music, adm. by Almo Music Corp. (ASCAP)

7.) Little Altar Boy 3:43 (Smith)

This was easy....
"An Old Fashioned Christmas" (this song always sticks in my head, I can be singing this when I'm not even listening to this album)

If only Karen had recorded, "O Holy Night" that would have been awesome. I guess they ran out of time. The instrumental is ok but Karen could have nailed this song!!!

I love O Holy Night- and I agree with Chris- I wish Karen had recorded it. But I do love Richard's playing on this number.

The toughest of all polls! If I could vote for the entire run of tracks 3 through 5, that'd get my vote. I see that whole sequence of songs as one long, beautiful, play in anticipation of Karen's opening. Richard did good with this; real good. I almost picked "An Old Fashioned Christmas," too, but had to go with a Karen lead. I picked Little Alter Boy; emotional, soaring at times, and a stirring reading by Karen.

I really, REALLY, like this album even with scant lead vocals by Karen on most of Side "A." I am not just a fan of Karen's voice, but also of Richard's "brains" when writing/producing/arranging/orchestrating. This album not only contains some of Karen's best singing, but really highlights Richard's strengths as well.

'Little Altar Boy' wins hands down. Although 15 minutes is WAY too long to wait for Karen, it's still beautifully done. I remember pulling my hair out (when I had hair) waiting for her to make her grand entrance....and being crushed when 'O Holy Night' wasn't sung by Karen. But 'Little Altar Boy' more than made up for it.

Little Altar Boy wins for me. Close second would be Home For The Holidays...because we have to wait so long to finally here Karen!

I had to go w/ "An Old Fashioned Christmas"... Pat Boone has a version of it, and Karen is equally well-versed with it, on this 2nd Christmas album installment...

-- Dave

Hmmm... This is a tough one, since I love to listen to that entire side (actually, I can listen to this album in it's entirety without skipping a track). But if I had to choose a "holiday" song, I have to give it to "An Old Fashioned Christmas" because it emotionally took me back into my childhood when I first heard it. In other words, it made me remember how I felt about the holidays when I was a child at the time.

But I say that "Little Alter Boy" is the best one on that side, even though I don't consider it a "holiday" song.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom