1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. The new Herb Alpert remasters are now available for download from Amazon and iTunes, and high-res versions are available from Acoustic Sounds and HDTracks. Some of these albums are seeing their first-ever release digitally. Check them out today!

Anybody else LOVE "Flamingo" by Herb Alpert & The TJB as much as I do?

Discussion in 'The Beat of The Brass: Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass' started by Harry S. Anchan, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Harry S. Anchan

Harry S. Anchan New Member Thread Starter

Just one of my all-time favorite TJB songs.

Rudy likes this.
  2. I've come to really appreciate "Flamingo" in its mono form from the single or mono SRO.

There's a noisy version of it here:

I like the cohesiveness of the "wall of sound" in mono.

LPJim and Bobberman like this.
  3. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

I always Enjoyed Herb's version of Flamingo i first heard it on the radio on a Station in Salt Lake City in 1977 when i was really starting to get into the TJB When the dj back announced it oh my i was excited unfortunately i wouldnt find an album with it until august 1980 when i finally got Greatest Hits Volume 2 on vinyl and little did i know until i got Solid Brass that it originally came out on S.R.O i loved the song already but Herb's" Wall of sound" approach really made it even better and i enjoy it even more today. It keeps me feeling a little younger.

4. Nathan Strum

Nathan Strum Member

I always liked Flamingo. I thought the jingle bells sounded a bit "Christmasy" and that it would have fit in nicely with the Christmas Album.

Bobberman likes this.
  5. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

That's a song that hasn't aged well with me, for some reason. I think I'm sort of put off by the wall-of-sound aspect of it -- it doesn't sound like TJB to me. I feel the same about "Third Man Theme," which I have always liked but it's fallen out of my top favorites list.

I still LIKE both of these songs but I wouldn't put them on a very-best-of-TJB compilation right now. Who knows, my view might change in time. There was a time when I didn't like any "slow" TJB songs... now many of the ballads are among my favorites.

6. Bobberman

I agree Harry and i feel the same about the mono SRO album which im fortunate to have along with a CD needledrop and i can say Flamingo is an excellent closing track for the album and as i mentioned previously i also like the stereo version of Flamingo.

7. Steven J. Gross

Steven J. Gross Well-Known Member

One of my favorites...

8. Michael Hagerty

Michael Hagerty Active Member

Yes. Always have. I have never been a fan of the faux-mariachi stuff. The first TJB song I really loved was "Lollipops and Roses". KMPC in Los Angeles played it off the album. I was 9. I could take or leave "Tijuana Taxi" and "Spanish Flea", so when "Flamingo" came along in '66, I thought it was terrific.

Bobberman likes this.
  9. alpertfan

alpertfan Member

I actually prefer the collaborative version with Jeff Lorber on Second Wind.

Bobberman likes this.
  10. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US

Not Herb, but one of his TJB sidemen is featured... :wink:

Steven J. Gross and Bobberman like this.
  11. Bobberman

I have this one and its a great Exotica version And Good ol Julius plays those vibes and marimba with perfection. With Mr Denny leading the way on Piano.

Steven J. Gross likes this.
  12. Shane

Shane Member

Great tune, great arrangement, great closer to my favorite TJB album. And maybe I'm biased because I love Spector's wall of sound... which of course, hails from the same recording studio.