1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Anyone read this?

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by ullalume, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    I know this is not new but I was not aware of this since I'm not a fan or follower of Neil Sedaka music. So Karen was not really the first from the duo to venture out in a new project outside Carpenters. It was Richard according to this article.

Cashbox RC Project Aug 23, 1975

[​IMG]

Jamesj75 likes this.
  2. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    A few more articles mentioning how tours had to be cancelled due to Karen's illness.

Cashbox Carpenters Tour Cancelled Oct 04, 1975

[​IMG]

Cashbox Carpenters Tour Cancelled Nov 01, 1975

[​IMG]

3. Not “read,” per se, but heard: I enjoyed this interview with Herb Alpert on Sound Opinions. He describes how he discovered the tune, “(They Long To Be) Close To You,” and how it launched Carpenters. Some surprising new details, for me, anyway, and great clips by the duo.

Link: http://www.soundopinions.org/show/565/#carpenters

Jamesj75 and GaryAlan like this.
  4. Brian

Brian Active Member

About a week ago, I read that Dami Im has recently performed her 'Yesterday Once More' show in my city, (Adelaide, South Australia). The word is that response was overwhelming and she will be back to do another show in February. Dami herself knows that she sounds nothing like Karen Carpenter. Her album, 'Classic Carpenters', is a tribute to the influence of the Carpenters and, specifically, Karen, rather than a sound-alike effort. Just like American Idol, shows like Australian Idol, The Voice Australia and Australian X-Factor, which Dami won a few years back, are all about seeing who can yell the loudest, longest, highest and scream through the most notes on the same syllable Mariah Carey fashion. I have Dami's 'Classic Carpenters' CD and she does a brilliant job of updating Carpenters songs in laid-back style. It really is a very pleasant CD. Dami is a classically trained pianist, so the arrangements and piano backings are also top-notch. 'Classic Carpenters' peaked at Number 3 on the Aussie charts earlier this year. I think it's great that Dami has probably made a younger generation of Australians aware of Carpenters. Their songs are rarely, if ever, played on radio here, although one or two of the U.K. documentaries have been shown on free-to-air TV over the last ten years or so, (not on the commercial stations that younger people might watch, though). Having said that Carpenters songs aren't played much on Aussie radio, I wonder whether the popularity of Dami's CD has changed that. I've been super busy and haven't listened to the radio and have watched almost no TV this year. I am aware, though, that Channel 9 had a week of Dami performing a Carpenters song each morning. They even showed some footage of Karen and Richard, (mainly snippets from the 'Gold' DVD, plus a few seconds of 'Sweet, Sweet Smile' from Star Parade). Anyway, I'm respectful of what Dami Im has done on her latest release and tour.

GaryAlan and Jamesj75 like this.
  5. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

6. From MeTV,

Karen Carpenter was the 'Queen of Christmas' in the 1970s »

7. Jamesj75

Jamesj75 Well-Known Member

theninjarabbit posted a link to this MeTV "Queen of Christmas" feature 2 posts ahead of Harry's. I guess you could say that it's well worth repeating... :)

The MeTV feature includes links to Carpenters' Christmas specials in their entirety!

Happy Holidays to one and all!!

8. Went right over my head! :doh:

By the way, a tradition we have around here is that when pointing out a text article, go ahead and post the text in a quote box along with the link. That way, in the future, if the linked article is removed, (and many are), the relevant text is still available here.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Jamesj75 likes this.
  9. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

Thanks for that piece of advice, sir :tiphat:

10. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

11. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

Extensive article dealing with Samberg's Book.
    Randall Beach: Connecticut writer explores the complex persona of New Haven’s Karen Carpenter »

Excerpt....
    New Haven Register, by Randall Beach:
    " Connecticut writer explores the complex persona of New Haven’s Karen Carpenter
    Thirty-four years after Karen Carpenter’s sudden and unexpected death at 32,
    the “many Karens” remains a subject that fascinates her fans, including Joel Samberg.
    But because Samberg is a published writer as well as a Carpenters fan, he undertook many interviews
    and extensive research into her life and personality.
    The result of what he calls “my quest” was a book,
    “Some Kind of Lonely Clown: The Music, Memory and Melancholy Lives of Karen Carpenter” (Bear Manor Media).
    The “lonely clown” in the title came from a line in the Carpenters’ hit “Rainy Days and Mondays.”
    Samberg, who lives in Avon and was raised on Long Island, is careful to acknowledge this is not a biography.
    Indeed, it checks in at only 134 pages.
    “It is an assessment, a reflection and an appreciation,” he says..."

Chris Mills and Jamesj75 like this.
  12. GaryAlan

An update on previous story from New Haven Register:

Randall Beach: New Haven history is worth preserving, from the Carpenters to a Yale touchdown »

Authour/Randall Beach:
    New Haven history is worth preserving, from the Carpenters to a Yale touchdown....
    Excerpt:
    "My column last Sunday on Joel Samberg’s book about our famous New Haven native Karen Carpenter
    brought forth colorful reminiscences by New Haven Register readers, from her time growing up here to her years as a world-renowned singer.
    One of the respondents told me he is working to get Karen’s reclusive brother, Richard Carpenter,
    back in his native city for a concert and some long-delayed local recognition."

13. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

I would actually pay to see that.

14. I just saw this at the top of the page. Surely Rick, you know about the string arrangement on Neil Sedaka's slow version of "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do"?

15. GaryAlan

BBC radio presenter Nick Risby’s top songs of all time
    13 February 2017
    Steve Russell
    19. Carpenters – 
Goodbye to Love
    "When Carpenters were at their peak I was too young to appreciate them,
    but I remember announcing Karen Carpenter’s death on my breakfast show and it hit me hard.
    Goodbye to Love shows off Karen’s incredible vocal range and had one of the best guitar breaks
    in popular music, played by the late Tony Peluso."

Source:
    Bet you can’t guess BBC radio presenter Nick Risby’s top songs of all time

16. Chris Mills

Chris Mills Well-Known Member

Happier times?

[​IMG]

goodjeans, Jamesj75 and GaryAlan like this.
  17. GaryAlan

Thanks for the clipping, Chris Mills !
    It gives pause to wonder if The American Cancer Society
    ever disclosed the total amounts that Karen and Richard
    provided to them.....in that, the general public--these days--
    has no idea of the Goodwill bestowed upon the Cancer Society
    on behalf of The Carpenters.
    Karen and Richard saved lives--not only through music, but through monetary giving.
    The public needs to know these things !

18. GaryAlan

19. GaryAlan

"Women's History Month: 31 days of amazing women
    Editors, USA TODAYPublished 12:04 a.m. ET March 1, 2017
    March 2, 1950 – Karen Carpenter is born.
    The three-time Grammy-award winning singer and drummer
    brought attention to eating disorders, which affect 20 million women in the U.S."

Source:
    Women's History Month: 31 days of amazing women

20. Never seen this interview before. Nothing new, but interesting to hear about their perspective of their own music. Just a wee bit humble, in my opinion.

21. wow! yes ! never have seen this !! Thank You Geographer :) !
    March 2 Happy Birthday Karen!

theninjarabbit and GaryAlan like this.
  22. GaryAlan

Excerpt from Downey Patriot, March 8,2017:
    OP-ED: Keeping the Carpenters' legacy alive in Downey

"The only unfortunate thing is that I don't think that most people in Downey
    understand the importance of the Carpenters in music history and that they
    grew up and continued to live here even after they became world famous, gold medal,
    Grammy Award-winning recording artists. That was the only thing that the tourists thought was strange.
    They thought there would be more visible public recognition around town of the Carpenters' legacy."