1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Anyone read this?

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by ullalume, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Eyewire

Eyewire Well-Known Member

Had some time on my lunch break and found the link:

Most Famous Band From Every State

:)

2. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

What I find interesting--yet, perplexing--is:
    Billboard August 16, 1975, Poll of Radio Programmers....
    Polling began July 3, 1975 of 5500 subscribers,
    One sees that Carpenters are doing well---winners based on highest totals
    accumulated for each category---Carpenters Tops for Pop Singles Duo and Pop Album Duo.

See Here:
    Billboard

David A likes this.
  3. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

As I remember 1975 was a good year on radio for every hit played it seemed there were three past hits also in rotation.

It was Solitaire that was the first disappointment in charting. This article was before it landed at number 17. And, There’s A Kind Of Hush did not do that bad in the trows of the disco world. It was the Hush album that was too easy, just too Lawrence Welk type in structure. It was then the Carpenters lost all but their fan base and radio play but those lost did return for the TV specials that scored well in the ratings.

4. David A

David A Active Member

Thanks for posting this! Aside from the curious fact about the Carpenters that you highlight, things like this are such an interesting snapshot in time; in this case the radio music world. Quite a trip down memory lane.

Question: the article shows that "Only Yesterday" spent 13 weeks on the chart, with the high shown as '4 (2)'. What is the '2', Easy Listening high? If so, I'd have thought they'd show Easy Listening highs for their other songs as well. 'Please Mr. Postman' was a #1 on the Easy Listening chart. Is the '2' something else?

5. Portlander

Portlander Member

The (2) may signify that it spent two weeks in the #4 position which is something that Billboard normally does for a hit that reaches the first or second spot on the charts. "Only Yesterday" did spent one week at #1 on the Adult Contemporary charts which I think would eliminate that possibility.

6. David A

David A Active Member

Ah, thanks. Then that would be easily verifiable by checking whether the other songs only spent one week at their highest position (I'll check that when I have the time).