Anyone with the UK "Jambalaya" single? Question answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
We're looking for a little help to clarify what might be a slight mix variation. Apparently there are two different stereo orientations of "Jambalaya" in its original pre-1991 version. Most discs out there have the steel guitar (first heard prominently around the :32 mark) to the right of the stereo stage.

But there are a few curious versions that have the steel guitar over toward the left. They include the UK SINGLES 1974-1978 CD, the UK YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (SING1 or the rare CD), and the 1980's version of ANTHOLOGY from Japan.

So what I want to find out is if the original UK single happens to have this orientation. Any help would be appreciated.

Harry

Harry have you checked you tube?
I found this and the uploader references the UK could this be the UK single? I'm on a phone now so I can't check for sound separation.

If there was anything different about the UK Now and Then, yes, I would like to know that. I would expect it to be the same as the US.

As for Youtube, you can rarely trust the source.

Well let's hope someone from the UK will come in then....I can hear the slight difference on Anthology set and the U.K. Singles CDs I have. Japan must have used a UK master for the Anthology Set or at least on that track.

I was just listening to my A&M Canada "Now & Then" LP, and the steel guitar enters on the left. There is some steel guitar on the right when the steel guitar enters the mix just before Karen starts singing, but it's very low. I wasn't using headphones, but my speakers are far enough apart that I had the left turned away from me when I was listening to the right and vice versa. (Oh yeah I got the LP from a pawn shop back around 1999-2000, and A&M Canada hasn't been around since the early-90's).

I just listened to that Youtube video linked above, and sure enough, it's not taken from a single at all. It's the standard 1991 remix from a CD with pictures of the single artwork and labels.

Tom, thanks for the effort, but I'm going to need a lot more info about your setup and LP before it means anything. I've visited many houses and stores - and even heard radio stations! - where their stereo channels are reversed. It could be as simple as an amplifier, or phono cartridge, or even speakers that are simply - backwards.

Harry

Looks like it. There are a bunch on eBay. That one looks like a promo with a letter to the radio programmer.

ODE was Lou Adler's label distributed by A&M.

SUSSEX appears to be a label that A&M owned for a short time in Great Britain.

SHELTER was another A&M property in Great Britain in the early 70s.

Thanks for the info. I knew about Ode as Tapestry by Carole King was released on that label, but had never heard of the connection between A&M, Sussex and Shelter.

Tom, thanks for the effort, but I'm going to need a lot more info about your setup and LP before it means anything. I've visited many houses and stores - and even heard radio stations! - where their stereo channels are reversed. It could be as simple as an amplifier, or phono cartridge, or even speakers that are simply - backwards.

Harry

Harry, I've checked, my speakers are hooked up correctly to my Yamaha HTR-5630 (and positioned correctly, I've even used the built in identification guide) and the Olympus LAB-1100 turntable I have, with built in pre-amp, has the red going into the red and white going into white. As for my cartridge, I've only ever replaced the plastic end, not the metal cartridge part, so if there is a switch there, then someone at Olympus was a sleep on the job or didn't know what they were doing when they were wiring the turntable.

Great Tom, one more little test for you. Do you have the Tan album on vinyl?

If so, listen to "Let Me Be The One" at the very start. Which channel is Richard's piano coming from?

Harry

Harry, which version? I have both an American and West German pressing.

Actually, both have the piano coming from the left. With no audio leak on the right.

Tom, back to the Canadian NOW & THEN. At the :31 mark, just before the first "Thibodaux...", in which channel is the prominent steel guitar?

Tom, can you listen with headphones to that part. This is where I first noticed the difference on the SINGLES 74-78 album. On my standard original NOW & THEN CDs, that steel guitar just before "Thibodaux" comes mostly from the right channel. There could be a little bit of it in the left, but it should be more loud in the right. Headphones are useful in cases like this because you're isolating your two ears from each other.

ODE was Lou Adler's label distributed by A&M.

SUSSEX appears to be a label that A&M owned for a short time in Great Britain.

SHELTER was another A&M property in Great Britain in the early 70s.

Sussex is the county I live in!

Very cool if that's what they mean! Does the price of this single seem fair?

I'm listening to the UK Vinyl of Yesterday Once More, EMI-Compilation.
Jambalaya (Tine stamp 4:22)
as heard on this LP-Set,
sounds better than any other iteration that I've
come across.
And, thus, I wonder if it replicates the sound found on this UK Single ?

Carpenters 7" singles are pretty much elusive in the UK. I mean in charity shops/markets. Yet their 2nd hand LPs are everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom