Anything Goes - Herb & Lani's New Release - AUG. 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Anything Goes is the title of Herb Alpert & Lani Hall's new Summer release on Concord Jazz.

AnythingGoes_Cover.jpg

Tracks include: Fascinating Rhythm, Pára Raio, The Trolley Song, That Old Black Magic, Dinorah/Morning, It's Only A Paper Moon, Let's Face The Music & Dance, Morning Coffee, I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face, Who Are You, Besame Mucho, Anything Goes, I've Got You Under My Skin, Laura.

Concord? Were Herb & Lani dissatisfied with Shout!Factory or is the S!F deal for reissues only?

But I think Concord's done okay with Sergio, so why not? Next question: what label/imprint will appear on the DVD we've seen clips from?

--Mr Bill

My feeling is that a label known for jazz would be a good reason to sign there. The story is Spring and Fall releases - the tour schedule would seem to confirm that. No DVD details yet. Sounds like good news, except for those who are waiting for more TJB. :o

Why a release with Herb Alpert and Lani Hall? Why can't they each make their own separate releases so that this new Herb Alpert album won't be sullied by vocals? I admit I'm not familiar with Lani Hall's work at all. She may be decent for all I know, but when I listen to an Alpert recording, almost any vocal is a needless distraction to me, unless it's of the type found in "The Lonely Bull" or "Marching Through Madrid".

audiofile said:
Actually Concord has been dropping their jazz artists lately, so this news is bittersweet for me.
This happened once Fantasy Records, who owned many of the '50 and '60s jazz indie labels (e.g., Prestige, Riverside, Milestone) sold out to the Concord Group a couple years back. A notable casualty of the sale was Fantasy's long-revered OJC (Original Jazz Classics) series -- the first continuous, large-scale vintage reissue series of its kind. During the past few years, Concord has cut many titles from the catalogue. In fact, Concord's been offering e-discounted prices on many such titles -- indicative of a major house cleaning excursion. Of course the big sellers that have fan bases in the pop ranks -- Monk, Miles, Trane, Brubeck, and the fellow whose LP is in your avatar image there -- will no doubt always have many titles in print. However, it's the "backbone" of jazz artists -- the remaining 95%...fascinating artists like Hampton Haws, Jaki Byard and Walt Dickinson -- who are having their titles deleted.

As for a Herb+Lani album, I look forward to it. Aside from the essentially impossible-to-find Fandango, it'll be the only post-TJB Herb offering I plan to acquire to date. Surely it's not gonna be an urbanized, over-produced affair...that is to say, the prospect of the Alpert horn in a simple, spartan setting sans all the production hoopla is quite exciting. Like Miles Davis, it would seem as though Herb "never" / "has still yet to" peak as a trumpeter: "recent" fragments I've heard suggest his tone and articulation are gorgeously robust and easily outshine his TJB era technique (with the arguable exception of !!Going Places!!). Think of the amazing Bill Evans Tony Bennett Album -- the piano+voice LP exhibited Tony's voice in a way no one had previously heard on record (which is, ironically, distributed by Concord and still in print!).

Don't get me wrong, I am very excited to hear about this new release. It's just a couple of months ago, I found out that Concord was dropping their jazz artists in favor of more pop oriented acts, which didn't sit too well with me. Then I find out that Herb, who does fit that description and is also one of my all time greatest influences, is putting out a record on that label for the first time.

JO said:
Like Miles Davis, it would seem as though Herb "never" / "has still yet to" peak as a trumpeter: "recent" fragments I've heard suggest his tone and articulation are gorgeously robust and easily outshine his TJB era technique (with the arguable exception of !!Going Places!!). ).

When I heard Herb recently live, his tone was okay, but he didn't seem to have much range. It's no secret Herb isn't the greatest improviser in the world, but he still has a knack for melody which finds it's way into his solos. Yes, hearing Herb in this context on record is very exciting.

audiofile said:
...It's no secret Herb isn't the greatest improviser in the world...
This has always mystified me. I'm no authority by a long shot, but what little I've heard beyond the early '70s period doesn't suggest solid acumen for contemporary "jazz"-styled improvisation skills. Perhaps, it's just that he chooses to "improvise" on his own terms. Not every trumpeter needs to be Lee Morgan or Blue Mitchell and totally re-invent a melody. Like a cat carefully eating a raw trout, Herb discretely selects his notes, phrasing, articulation points, and rhythmic interplay to create his reserve embellishments. He's probably the only world-renown "popular" trumpeter who doesn't blow out the listener with volume, pyrotechnics, and double Bbs.

And I think he choose that path, because he didn't have the skills to play like Clifford Brown. He said it himself.

A notable concession. I can only think of one player that arguably excels beyond Clifford: Booker Little. It's been written and reported that the late '40s Miles couldn't cut the dexterity of Bird and Dizzy's bop-stylings...and by the early '50s he was solidly carving out his own path...totally away from bop. The same could be said of Monk whose piano technique had little-to-nothing in common with the hot bop players of the 1940s. Both men are recognized as "point sources" for alternatives to the bop movement.

He knows that his uniqueness lies in the combination of his abilities as a producer, arranger, player, writer, and without trying to be a sycophant here, a visionary. He puts things together that nobody else would dream of...and makes it work......

Herb is great. We all know this. That's why we're here on the forum. He's a real creative artist, and I love his music.

My comment was simply on his technique and improvising in a jazz context.

Of course Herb can improvise! Listen to the magical performances from the recent Herb and Lani tours. Or, for those who weren't able to see him, what about the live Second Wind and Passion Dance tours videos from 96 and 97? Listen to My Funny Valentine for one.

Beautiful music doesn't need to be based on technical excellence; it needs to be able to move people. I think the warmth of Herb's music does just that.

Stephen

I didn't say Herb couldn't improvise.

And my reasons for saying Herb isn't the greatest improviser in the world has nothing to do with technique.

And I've heard all the albums you mentioned, and saw Herb and Lani in concert this past summer. A great show I might add.

Welcome news about the upcoming release. I figured as much, having had the pleasure to see him last year at Blues Alley in DC, and expecting to see him in NYC or Tarrytown (live closer to this venue) now that I am relocated there. Really kind of surprised at the one statement about Lani Hall -- that her singing would"sully" a recording. She has a pleasant voice -- always has -- and when they play together it evokes a pleasant, loving sound that is evinced in the obvious feeling they hold for each other. What could be more pleasant?

Based on what I heard last year, I would hope that they concentrate on standards and the new tracks such as "Morning Coffee" and eschew the little segues into old TJB stuff or Rise, etc. (not that I don't like that stuff, of course -- I do).

I don't listen to him (and her) expecting a lesson in any kind of specific music. I listen to them expecting a loving sound with a good melody. You know, "anything goes"...

Regards, David Smedley

Morning Coffee! :)

You can hear a great version of this song by its composer, Bill Cantos, on Love Wins which Steve S reviewed a year or so back. Lots of good stuff on that one.

Stephen

thesmedman said:
I don't listen to him (and her) expecting a lesson in any kind of specific music. I listen to them expecting a loving sound with a good melody. You know, "anything goes"...

If you saw my collection, you'd see how wide my musical variety is. So much of what I own and listen to crosses musical styles, and Herb follows that same path from a performing standpoint. I can see where he's coming from. I'd rather that music NOT be labeled with any kind of style or genre, where it's just a matter of liking it, or not.

It's gonna be a great recording- I have no doubt.

Would have been really great if the present day A&M had released it, just for sentimental and promotional reasons.

Steven J. Gross said:
It's gonna be a great recording- I have no doubt.

Would have been really great if the present day A&M had released it, just for sentimental and promotional reasons.

I rather doubt that Herb and Lani would agree with you!

Yeah - if the present-day A&M released it, the disk would get low promotion, get lost in the shuffle, and cost H&L lots of $ in money from sales that didn't happen. Releasing it on Concord, it will get the attention it deserves...the only downside will the the smaller size of their promotional budget.

I do agree it would be cool to see the "old logo" on there, but ... maybe download and print the spiffy "A&M Corner" logo on a sheet of sticker paper and attach it to your DVD. Presto, it's on A&M!

Seeing and Hearing the CD in Starbucks all across America certainly can't hurt either. It did wonders for Sergio's last two releases...

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom