7. Let's Face the Music & Dance
8. Morning Coffee
9. I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face
10. Who Are You?
11. Besame Mucho
12. Anything Goes
13. I've Got You Under My Skin
14. Laura

I know this thread is early but I found a review on AllMusic about the new album, so here it is! Other early published reviews may be posted here too -- otherwise please confine posts in this thread to reviews and comments about the album after you've heard it.

====================================================

Herb Alpert had never really embraced his inner jazzman over the course of an entire album before; the closest he came was 1992's Midnight Sun, ultimately a highly controlled cocoon of a recording. But this, at long last, is it, and it represents a string of firsts for the protean trumpeter -- his first truly straight-ahead jazz project, his first all-new album of any kind in ten years, his first complete album with his wife, singer Lani Hall (who gets co-billing), and his first released by a label which he did not co-own. The concept grew out of a series of live dates that he and Hall played in various cities, from which these tracks were assembled. Despite some apparent lightly applied overdubs, it remains an intimate small group album of mostly standards, the kind of thing one might run across at Vibrato -- Alpert's jazz club in the hills above Los Angeles. Hall appears in tandem with Alpert on nine of the 14 tracks -- with Alpert taking five for himself -- which guarantees an additional unique layer of intimacy as Alpert wraps his pithy horn lovingly around Hall's voice. Hall has kept her Portuguese in gear, doing well by Ivan Lins' "Dinorah, Dinorah" and the rapid-fire syllables of "Para-Raio." She adopts a dark, dusky tone on "That Old Black Magic," and for "Let's Face the Music And Dance," she takes on an air of desperation, focusing on the words, "there may be trouble ahead." Still in good shape in his seventies, Alpert retains the marcato bravado of the Tijuana Brass days and the more recent, terse, moody, muted tones of a Miles accolade; in "It's Only a Paper Moon," these two personas go mano a mano rather humorously. "The Trolley Song," done at an unusually lazy, loping pace by the Tijuana Brass more than four decades before, is taken at a more traditionally quick, Latin-accented tempo here, and this is the third time around for "I've Grown Accustomed to Your Face" -- now a casual vocal showcase for Alpert with a witty coda that sneaks in a horn lick from "This Guy's in Love with You." The adept backup trio of Bill Cantos on keyboards -- who comes up with a few nifty quotes himself -- Hussain Jiffry on electric bass, and Michael Shapiro on drums and Latin percussion goes down agreeably. This is a classy, welcome return to album-making for Alpert, and a good fit for Concord's adult-oriented roster. ~ Richard S. Ginell, All Music Guide

I received an advanced copy of this disc that I won on eBay, and I'm really digging this album. So far my favorite tracks are "Para Raio" and "Dinorah/Morning", with "Trolley Song" and "Laura" as close second faves. I got a kick out of Bill Cantos' "Morning Coffee". It reminds me a bit of those Dave Frishberg tunes ("My Attorney Bernie", for example), a very playful song. "Let's Face The Music And Dance" has always been a favorite song as well as the title to one of my all-time favorite Urbie Green albums. It gets a great rendition here. As a matter of fact, the songs that I do know on this album are done quite differently from what I'm used to hearing.

Herb's playing is not anything close to the TJB sound, but it resembles more of what he did on Lani's Brasil Nativo album. The band as a whole is excellent, very solid rhythms and some spontaneity throughout as well. It just sounds like they're having fun doing this. There's no pressure of having to do the TJB or Brasil '66, and you won't find that on the CD either.

As biased as I am on Herb's music, I think most people will like this album a lot. I think even critics will find plenty to enjoy. It's not a #1 album or anything like that, but it's a solid, lively and fun concert with high quality music.

One interesting thing I noticed on the bottom of the disc is where it is copyrighted "2009 Herb Alperts Presents, Inc." under exclusive license to Concord Music Group. I wonder if this means Herb may be doing some kind of series for Concord? Maybe doing some more producing? That could be interesting.

Capt. Bacardi

it is copyrighted "2009 Herb Alperts Presents, Inc." under exclusive license to Concord Music Group.
Maybe that's just a production company created to produce the concerts, license the music, sell the merch, etc.

I too have gotten to hear this one in advance. It's a good, solid album that pretty accurately recreates the feel of the shows that Herb & Lani have been doing in various small-club venues.

Having seen the Joe's Pub show in New York, I can say that listening to the album brings back the memories of the show with gusto. Now I know how our Mr. Bill feels when listening to Herb & Hugh's MAIN EVENT LIVE album as he was an attendee there.

Good stuff.

Harry

I'm with Harry - listening to it brings back happy memories of 'being there'.

Currently I can't get "Besame Mucho" out of my head - so much so that I've been caught whistling it at the BBC!!

Excellent mix ... lovely arrangements .... and perhaps a more 'accessible' album for those who still prefer the Tijuana Brass albums to herb's solo releases.

...and which cover is on YOUR advance CD?

Harry

TonyCurrie said:
Currently I can't get "Besame Mucho" out of my head - so much so that I've been caught whistling it at the BBC!!

Yeah, I really like the playfulness of Herb and Bill Cantos in the middle of the song, where they do a kind of ragtime cat and mouse exchange.

Capt. Bacardi

I like the cover Captain Bacardi posted so much better than the original! I'm so glad they (apparently) changed it. Big improvement.

This one has a much nicer photo. I especially like how Lani's face is partially in shadow and how you get a nice profile of the trumpet. Also, I'm really glad they got rid of those harsh color blocks along the left side and bottom. That's the thing I disliked the most on the original cover. The lettering looks much nicer against that blue background and Herb's jacket sleeve. It really pops now!

The one thing that was nice about the color blocks on the first version is that it almostthematically matched the packaging design of the Shout!Factory releases...

But I agree -- the newer cover is better.

--Mr Bill

Another agreement from me that the new cover is better. The first one, while nice, puts Lani in more of a light. Aside from the comments about the text and the color blocks (which I also agree with), as much as we all admire Lani, Herb is the more famous of the two and his face and trumpet will cause more people to buy the album so it's better that he's emphasized more.

I guess I'll pick it up today, release day...I'm going to listen with an open mind, although I don't dig the concept from what I know about it.
It's an impressive # 207 at Amazon right now, not too bad.

Checking some online sites for availability, I see that several local Best Buy stores as well as a few local Borders stores are listing ANYTHING GOES as in-store. That's at least mildly encouraging, given how hard it is these days to even FIND a store that sells records.

Since I've had an advance copy to listen to, I'm comfortable waiting for delivery from the online site I ordered it from. I got a shipping notice already, so it could be in the mail any day now.

Harry

This album is gonna hit big- It's climbing Amazon as I type- quite a sign- and it's in their top 10 Jazz now.

This is the best thing Herb and Lani have done since TJB/Brasil '66 days.

Steven J. Gross said:
This album is gonna hit big- It's climbing Amazon as I type- quite a sign- and it's in their top 10 Jazz now.
It's the #5 jazz album on iTunes. (My CD is en route from Amazon...)

Edit: Now up to #4

I bought it yesterday morning and wow i can not stop listening to it what a great disc it leaves me wanting more. my top three so far,

(1) the trolley song
(2) It' only a paper moon
(3) Besame Mucho

Travelling on an AMTRAK train from DC to NYC and going thru Union Sta spotted the cd so I bought it (as it was cheaper than my pending amazon order). Bought two, actually -- one to be a gift. Listening to it and the thing that comes at me throughout this recording is, simply, love. Love between the two main performers, love between all the performers, and love of the music and expression through music.

From reading the cd booklet I understand why the title of the album is what it is, but it could just as easily have been, to paraphrase an old tune of his that I have always liked a great deal, "Love with words and music", or "Come What May"...

Glad to hear that he resisted the temptation to slip in snippets of old tunes, with the exception of at the end of I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face (the little bit of This Guy's... is a cute hook). Didn't like the punch in of Rise when I saw them in DC last year and other tunes- thought it detracted from the plan. Better to play the tunes outright.

All-in-all, a quite pleasant recording. I happen to like Para Raio, Dinorah, Morning Coffee, Fascinating Rhythm, Laura, and best of all, Besame Mucho -- but then I have been a fan of that song ever since I first heard it on the Main Event Live album with him and my other musical hero, Hugh Masekela (who, btw, was on Charlie Rose last week - you can see the interview online). Strangely, I would not have minded lyrics - especially to the Portuguese tunes. I don't speak Portuguese, but I know that when I have listened to Masekela albums, having the Zulu or Xhosa in print has helped me to appreciate the language.

Now if anyone from their representation reads this blog, could we please get some NYC/Westchester County dates? (Peekskill Paramount Theatre most preferred if not NYC itself)

Oh on the comments about the packaging, I liked the previous picture of Mrs Alpert, but I can understand why the emphasis on Mr Alpert, of course, and the cd cover does put her in a better context. I'd love to get a poster of the inside picture of him, or the painting.

To the performers, listening to this I feel like you are "besame mucho" to me...

Happy listening, David

I was thinking the center-spread of the booklet would make a GREAT poster.

My favorite song so far is "Besame Mucho" but I really like "Fascinating Rhythm" too. Surprisingly, "Para-Raio" is one of my least favorites so far. I was expecting to love that one. Maybe it'll fungus into me, like so many of the Portuguese B'66 songs did.

I've playlisted "Besame Mucho" and have listened to it on the way to/from the BBC every day since I got it. (The car journey takes 5 minutes - perfect!!)

I do so agree with David. In fact after our radio interview my sign off to Herb and Lani was that I loved them. Not, you will understand, at all a customary conclusion to a radio interview for a 46-years-battle-hardened old broadcaster. But it seemed the only thing I could say. Being at Blues Alley was a blast and listening to them making music from a front row seat was such a simple joy. And Herb and Lani had been - as always - generous and gracious.

Goodness, I'm getting slushy! Must be age.......

Been working and flying; been very busy. Haven't had opportunity to purchase Anything Goes until today. After three consecutive spins I have one comment and one comment only:

WOW!!

Jon

To my absolute shock and amazement, the Best Buy in Mason City didn't have the new CD. Guess I'll have to plan to go to Minneapolis sometime in the near future and pick up a copy before it falls out of release there too.

Stores are increasingly picky about what they're carrying these days so it might be harder to find this album. If you have a Starbucks nearby, give it a try. THey carry a lot of jazz in some locations.

You're telling me I've got a better chance of finding this CD in a place that primarily sells coffee than in a place that should pride itself on its selection of music? If that's true, then at least Starbucks has good taste (pun intended). Unfortunately, I don't know of any Starbucks locations in my area either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom