1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to [email protected]. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

AOTW AOTW: Michelle Phillips - VICTIM OF ROMANCE (SP-4651)

Discussion in 'A Small Circle of Friends: The Music Forum' started by LPJim, Aug 20, 2009.

1. LPJim

LPJim Well-Known Member Moderator Thread Starter

Michelle Phillips
    VICTIM OF ROMANCE

A&M SP-4651

[​IMG]

Michelle Phillips, born June 4, 1944, was a member of the Mamas & Papas. On A&M she appeared on the MOTHER, JUGS & SPEED Soundtrack and on Cheeck & Chong's "Basketball Jones."

TRACKS:

Aching Kind 3:16
    Let the Music Begin 3:53
    Victim of Romance 3:41
    Trashy Rumors 4:01
    There She Goes 4:15

Paid the Price 2:38
    Baby as You Turn Away 3:54
    Lady of Fantasy 3:25
    Just One Look 2:45
    Where's Mine 4:02

Jack Nitzsche - piano, electric keyboards, percussion
    Scott Free - drums, percussion, guitar, steel guitar, accordion, piano, background vocals

John Moon Martin - guitar, vocals
    David C. Allen - guitar
    Tim Drummond - bass
    Steve Douglas - sax solos, woodwinds, percussion
    Gregory Lee - bass on "There She Goes"

Don Randi - piano on "Trashy Rumors"
    Ron Nagle & Gene Estes - percussion
    Ben Benay - guitar, mandolin
    Jerry Donahue - guitar solo on "Aching Kind"
    Mike Boddicker - synthesizers

Sid Sharp - string section concert master
    Jerry Jumonville, Jay Migliori, Dennis Dreith, Jack Nimitz - woodwinds
    Bob Findley, Bill Peterson, Mark Underwood - trumpets

Special thanks to Tricia Johns, vocalist

Laura Creamer, Cherie English, Myrna Matthews, Maxine Willard, Kathy Ward - singers

Billy Guy, Grady Chapman, Jerome Evans - singers for "Paid the Price"

Produced and Arranged by Jack Nitzsche
    Cover Design and Art by Linda King
    Front Cover Photo by Terry O'Neil
    Back and Sleeve Photos by Aloma

Recorded at Larrabee Sound Studios and Record Plant
    Remixed and Mastered at A&M Studios, Hollywood
    Remix Engineer: Steve Mitchell and Kim King
    Mastering Engineer: Bernie Grundman

Please visit her music profile on MySpace for biography and photos:

http://www.myspace.com/68295843

JB

2. Mr Bill

Mr Bill Lego Master Model Builder Moderator

This has also been available on CD from Hip-O-Select...

--Mr Bill

3. Mike

Mike Active Member

I think I'll buy this one just to have the album cover! Woof, woof!

Mike

4. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

The Hip-O-Select CD adds a lot of bonus material... (Non-LP singles, previously unreleased stuff, etc.)

A good exhibition of sunny girl-group LA power pop and the LP's long been a favorite of mine, in both song selection & delivery (and somehow trading on Michelle's legacy "formerly of The Mamas & The Papas", made this over-looked gem meeting any commercial expectations, blatant, at best) and worthy of taping and playing in my car (when I had a tape deck)...

However, when I have this stuff blastin' while I drive 'round "here", the heads don't turn... :sad:

Dave

5. Bobbyvox

Bobbyvox Guest

Kathy Ward was in the group PUNCH, signed to A&M in 1971 ("Fallin' Lady", etc...) and Tricia Johns (along with Miss Ward) were one half of SONOMA, the group PUNCH morphed into later signed to ABC Dunhill (1973) & MCA Records (1976).

6. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

7. Since finding that video of "No Love Today" by Michelle Phillips and posting it as an example of a song that could have suited Carpenters, I've been exploring the Michelle Phillips VICTIM OF ROMANCE album.

I picked up the Hip-O Select version with extra tracks, now out-of-print and fairly pricey in many circles. I'm enjoying the album that I'd never heard of prior other than a couple of mentions on this board.

Aching Kind
    The opening track has a bit of an easy country-rock feel to it. It's a Moon Martin composition and Michelle does a good job with it. I think they used some stacked vocal harmonies on this one, but there are also a number of backup vocalists listed on the album. I think this was the lead single from the album.

Let The Music Begin
    This one, in waltz tempo, has an oldies/soul vibe about it. Composed by Alan Gordon. Nice track. It's got one of those false ending stops toward the end, something that would confound DJs, I'm sure.

Victim Of Romance
    Another Moon Martin composition, this one sounds a lot like The Beach Boys "Help Me Rhonda" right down to the male "pow, pow, pow, pow" backing vocals. Jazzy sax solo in the middle of this Wall Of Sound type production.

Trashy Rumors
    A soft yet torchy ballad that is as diametrically opposed to the prior track as you can get. Michelle's soft vocals on this John Phillips song sometimes stray just a bit off key, but it's still charming. The Hip-O disc has another unreleased version of this song that was produced by former husband John Phillips.

There She Goes
    A bit of a soft Latin feel on this one with castinets and marimbas. Nice harmonies on the chorus.

Paid The Price
    This one sounds as if it came out of 50s Doo-Wop, but it's another Moon Martin song.

Baby As You Turn Away
    A brothers-Gibb song that has a Bacharachian feel to it.

Lady Of Fantasy
    Another torchy ballad, composed by Michelle herself.

Just One Look
    This oldie by Doris Troy would later be a big hit by Linda Ronstadt, and it had been released by The Hollies and Anne Murray too.

Where's Mine
    A really soft ballad finishes up the original album as released originally. This one sounds like it could have been a hit in the thirties or forties.

Bonus track:
    No Love Today
    The track that attracted me to the album purchase. It's a sumptuous Roger Nichols song written for the MOTHER, JUGS & SPEED movie soundtrack.

There are other bonus tracks on the disc that I haven't explored yet. I see that there was a Japanese release that's also out of print now that contains most of these same tracks, but also includes the mono promo version of "No Love Today".

Nice album, and a nice addition to my collection.