🎵 AotW AOTW: Renee Armand - THE RAIN BOOK (SP-4369)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Renee Armand
THE RAIN BOOK

A&M SP-4369

sp4369.jpg

SIDE ONE
England 4:09/ Elizabeth Rain 3:38/ I Think You're Letting Me Go 4:42/ Does Anybody Love You 3:41/ Friends 4:25.

SIDE TWO
You and I 3:02/ Falling Ladies 4:13/ Raining in L.A. 3:30/ Guess I Never Knew You 3:06/ I'm Going Away 4:15.

All selections recorded at A&M Studios except "England," "I Think You're Letting Me Go" and "Friends," recorded at Clover Recorders.

All of side 2 plus the last two cuts of side one written by Kerry Chater-Renee Armand (Almo Music ASCAP & Irving Music BMI).
"Elizabeth Rain" by Renee Armand (Almo Music ASCAP); "England" and "I Think You're Letting Me Go" by Jim Gordon- Renee Armand (Almo Muisc ASCAP for Amy Music BMI).

Mixing Engineers: Dick Bogert, Tom Vicari, Norm Kinney, Robet Appere.
Mastering Engineer: Bernie Grundman
Assistance Engineers: Steve Mitchell, Roger Young, Larry Forkner

Jim Gordon - drums, piano, guitar
Jim Horn - flute
Lee Sklar - bass
Dr. John Harris - piano
Reinie Press - bass
Louis Shelton - guitar
Danny Kotchemar - guitar
Victor Feldman - percussion
Barry De Vorzon - producer on Tracks 2 & 4
Larry Carlton - electric guitar
Joe Osborn - bass
Kerry Chater - organ, electric guitar, bass
Mike Melvoin - piano & arranger
Erno Neufeld, Jerry Vinci - violins
Virginia Majewski - viola
Chuck Domanico - bass
Fred Seykora - cello
Gayle LaVant - Irish harp
Dennis Budimir - guitar
Mike Deasy - guitar
Larry Muhoberac - piano
Roger Kellaway - piano & arranger (last track)
Max Bennett - bass
Chuck Findley, bud Childers - flugle horns
Erno Neufeld - concert master

Art Direction: Roland Young/ Album Design - Chuck Beeson/
Photography: David Reneric, Pete Sagara, Jim McCrary

Reissued by A&M-Uni in 2001 as UICY-3330.

JB

From my "CD-Review" at Amazon.com:

THE BEST ALBUM TO HEAR ON A RAINY DAY!

...or ANY DAY! The backing for the songs ranges from simple---such as Drummer Jim Gordon, who is also the Album's producer playing nearly every instrument on "England" to the extravagantly orchestrated "Falling Ladies" and the epic closing track, "I'm Going Away".
"Does Anybody Love You?" has that warm, commercial resonance and was covered by We Five and Mama Cass Elliot. "Friends" is a very moving drug addict's anthem; one who seems too far gone to be saved or even helped. And other enjoyable numbers are "You & I", "I Think You're Letting Me Go", "Guess I Never Knew You", "Raining In L.A." and "Elizabeth Rain".

In all a beautiful album by a very obscure singer who otherwise sang duets with the late Hoyt Axton and contributed some songs to the BUSTER AND BILLIE and BLESS THE CHILDREN AND THE BEASTS Motion Picture Soundtracks, which should have been included here, as well a rare B-Side '45' only track "Dirt Sisters". She also sang backup vocals on a couple of albums by the late John Denver, too.

And those interested in the original vinyl, can find it issued as A&M SP 4369.

...Think it should have been AOTW during the Tsunami-Storm in S.E. Asia, or at least around HERE, it should be called: THE SNOW-BOOK...!! :santa:

Dave

I had this on LP once, but no longer have it. Interesting that it was reissued on CD. This is one that, I have a feeling I'd enjoy it now more than I did back in the day. Better head for Gemm....

I obtained the CD version, a Japan import, from Melody Blvd. a short time after it was reissued. Cost $22 plus shipping as I recall.

Also read that Renee Armand sang a duet of "Feed the Fire" with Steppenwolf's John Kay, which appears on the recently issued DVD "John Kay & Friends"

JB

AM Matt said:
There is a website... ...which does not give out the information on SP 4369, because they left it blank.

Matt Clark -- Sanford, MI

No, it's because "they" probably don't "own" it or haven't yet taken the information on it, from another source...

Dave

Kerry Chater, Renee's Co-Writer/Producer-Collaborator on her LP, was also a bass player with Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, and later on made a few solo LP's on Warner Bros., too!

On the back of an album, Renee made a "guest-appearance" on, none-other-than Leah Kunkel's Leah Kunkel, she appeared "courtesy of RCA Records and Windsong Records", which meant it was her 2nd LP on Windsong, that interminably, wasn't nearly as good...

Dave

As I mentioned in another thread, Renee Armand appears in the extra material on the new DVD of the old '70s movie of THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE. It turns out that Renee sang the song "The Morning After" in the movie for Carol Lynley.

After reporting that, and realizing that I'd never heard THE RAIN BOOK, I went to eBay, hoping to score the now out-of-print Japanese CD. There weren't any available, but I did manage to spot a copy of the LP for a whole penny. I bid on it, and actually won it for that penny, with no-one competing on the bidding. The shipping was a whole $3.95, so I got the LP for less than its original list price of $5.98.

The album arrived in yesterday's mail, and it's in really nice shape. I'm playing it now as I type this. So far, it's pretty enjoyable - another A&M obscurity for the collection. The shrink-wrap is still on the jacket, with the original sticker still in place. Inside, the original innersleeve is there along with a separate lyric sheet insert.

It's like I stepped back in time and bought a new LP!

Harry

I'll have to double-check that. With the shrink-wrap still on it, and somewhat wrinkled after all these years, I didn't notice that aspect of it.

Harry

And the answer is "Yes", the album has the embossed raindrops and writing. Very cool!

I just finished transferring the LP to CD, and am enjoying it even more. I added the one Renee Armand track from BLESS THE BEASTS AND CHILDREN soundtrack, titled "Lost" (- appropriately on the day of the final episode of season two of LOST).

My favorite track by far is "Raining In L.A." - it's got the perfect construction of chords to give me goosebumps, and it's got a key change in the middle - something that always gets to me.

Harry
NP: Renee Armand - THE RAIN BOOK

"I Guess I Never Knew You" and "I'm Going Away", which close-off Side 2 have always been my personal favorites! And a real killer-track, is of course, "Friends"...! :twisted:

Dave

I played the daylights out of "Raining In L.A." (there was at least a promo single) at my first station, KIBS in Bishop...always thought it was a great record and should have been a hit.

---Michael Hagerty

Renee was also featured on the 'Doonesbury' comic strip album called "Jimmy Thudpucker's Greatest Hits." She sings her song "Indian Brown" at the insistence of "Jimmy" (not sure who sang his part). The album was on Windsong so may have just been a handy tie-in. It's never been released on CD so find the vinyl if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom