1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to [email protected]. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

News AP interview with Richard on "The Vinyl Collection"

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Mike Cidoni Lennox, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Mike Cidoni Lennox

Mike Cidoni Lennox Member Thread Starter

Thought you’d enjoy a look at the text version of my interview with Richard for “The Vinyl Collection,” published today.

(A Carpenters collector since 1970, I’ve been a full-time AP entetainment reporter for 15 years, and a fan of A&M Corner since its birth, BTW.)

A short video version of the interview may be found online, and a much-longer video will move next week.

Enjoy!

Mike

Carpenters returns with vinyl remasters of hit albums

MODERATOR EDIT: The complete video available here: US Richard Carpenter | AP Archive

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2017
    Chris Mills, Sue, WYBIMLA and 10 others like this.
  2. Chris May

Chris May Resident 'Carpenterologist' Moderator

Great interview Mike!

3. Mike Cidoni Lennox

Thanks so much, Chris.
    That means a lot, coming from you.
    FYI:
    More of 45-ish minute interview will eventually be seeing the light of day in a variety of places via AP, and UMe’s “Sound of Vinyl” website. Stay tuned.

Guitarmutt, Rudy, newvillefan and 2 others like this.
  4. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    Thank you Mike, can't wait to see the additional video footage.

5. Your interview has only made me more excited for this release. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to seeing more.

6. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    Mike, that photo of you and Richard next to his piano Richard holding the Offering album, is that your album or Richard's? It looks in perfect condition and trust me that Offering album is very hard to come by in that condition as most exhibit ring wear or acid wash after all these years.
    Great photo by the way!!

Not sure how to link it here but here is your twitter where folks here can see it.

Media Tweets by Mike Cidoni Lennox (@CidoniLennox) | Twitter

Don Malcolm likes this.
  7. ullalume

ullalume Well-Known Member

Anybody else notice the acetates for Petula Clark and the Christmas songs from 2002?

Neil

8. Mike Cidoni Lennox

Rick
    Even I didn’t notice them! So much to take in.

goodjeans likes this.
  9. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Here’s the picture for those of you unfamiliar with Twitter:

[​IMG]

That cartoon behind Richard looks like it was done especially for him, if you look at the wording... :)

This is also the room where Richard has done most of his TV interviews from over the last 10 years or so.

Chris Mills likes this.
  10. Mike Cidoni Lennox

The longform version of the video interview was posted today. Hope the link works. (Tip: Watch on a desktop. Playback on phones, tablets is dodgy. If it doesn’t work, I’ll ask I.T. people for an alternative.)
    Enjoy, and Happy Holidays!
    Mike

US Richard Carpenter | AP Archive

11. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Thank you for this!

12. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

Wonderful !
    Thanks !

13. Chris May

Chris May Resident 'Carpenterologist' Moderator

Just a fantastic interview Mike, chock-full of b-roll and pics! Great look into Richard's creative home environment.

newvillefan and Walkinat9 like this.
  14. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

Wonderful contribution to the forum. Thank You!

15. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

I love the beginning....the 'record manufacturing process' and Those Good Old Dreams....
    Looks as if the door was left open for "another Anniversary,"
    when Richard was asked why the Christmas Portrait was not included in this collection.....(@3 min)

16. Walkinat9

Walkinat9 Active Member

Thank you Mike, that was wonderful!
    Great to see Richard's own record collection and to even spot an album I own too (Stephen Stills from 1970) :cool:

Greg

17. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

MAN if I could spend some time going through that collection... :faint:

Thanks Mike for a great interview.

newvillefan likes this.
  18. Mike Cidoni Lennox

My pleasure. Have a great holiday!

19. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Active Member

I just watched it on my iPhone and it played fine.

20. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    Wow, amazing interview!! Thank you Richard for this fantastic interview and a look into your collection. Mike thanks for this special interview and allowing us to see the extra's. It has answered a lot of my questions about this new Vinyl Box Set. I love seeing Richard actually holding the LP Box Set. It's really going to make getting this in my own hands extra special. Wow, he has the speakers that heard the original Close To You and listened to these test pressing through the same speakers, if anyone knows how these should sound he does. I can't wait to get this set, tomorrow can't come fast enough.

Thanks again, love this!!

21. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    Gotta love it, too--a record collection that rivals his car collection. :D

22. Guitarmutt

Guitarmutt Active Member

Wow! Thank you for this!