April 2017 Remembrances

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
Blues guitarist Lonnie Brooks has diedhttp://ultimateclassicrock.com/lonnie-brooks-dead/ Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Very sad about Don Rickles. The Tonight Show appearances were so spontaneously funny. The chemistry between Don, Johnny and Ed was fantastic. Also loved Don's numerous guest roles on TV, especially in the 60's. See his appearance on the Smothers Brothers Show for Don at his best.

There are a lot of videos on YouTube of Rickles on the Carson show. There is also a late appearance from 2011 where he is a guest on Craig Ferguson's (85 years old at the time, and still out doing stand-up).

As I posted elsewhere... RIP, Mr. Potato Head. :wink:

The Rickles/Carson episode that was the funniest (for me, anyway) was when he guest-hosted for Carson, and broke Carson's wooden cigarette box. The next night, Carson noticed the broken box, found out (from Doc Severinsen) that Rickles had been "having a fit" and broke it. So Carson took the busted box and a microphone and walked across the hall to where Rickles was taping his then-TV show, "CPO Sharkey." He walked in right in the middle of the live taping and demanded answers.

I saw Don Rickles live at Harrah's Reno Showroom in July 1972. I was 15 yrs old at the time and I was traveling through Reno on a family vacation (my dad made sure he hit all the gambling Meccas). My dad would go into hysterics laughing at Rickles on the TV and I liked him too. My mom and older sister could not care less, but we all went to the show. My dad and I were "rolling in the aisles". At one point he looked from the stage up at a balcony seat and said "Is that where Lincoln got it?!!". We thought he was the funniest thing. He was hilarious on Carson and on those Roasts. Anyway, my dad and I kind of "bonded" that night. RIP Don, you were an original.

Last edited:
A co-worker who saw Rickles in Las Vegas many years ago told me an interesting story. My co-worker took his girlfriend (at the time) to see Rickles's show. My friend is Argentinian and his girlfriend was Japanese. My friend was excited that they were seated in the front and center table at the show and did n't have to pay extra for the "good seats!" Turns out Rickles, or his handlers, would pick which guests got "prime seats" so that Rickles could make them the subject of his schtick. My friend says lots of jokes were made at their expense (and much to his girlfriend's chagrin) but that after the show was over bottles of champagne were delivered to the guests who got the "Rickles treatment." This was apparently something he did for his "abused" fans for being "good sports."

--Mr Bill

Just heard myself Geils had passed--the album Freeze Frame was the soundtrack to our senior year in high school. We had a few basement bands in high school that would get together solely to jam to those old J. Geils Band records. The only Geils I have on vinyl is the live Full House record (180g reissue) that was recorded at the old Cinderella Ballroom here in Detroit. Digital, I have more of course. Freeze Frame was one of my earliest CD purchases, probably in the first 25 or so discs I bought.

Not normally, but this one is justified because she was a celebrity herself -- but best known simply as "Dave's Mom." She was probably the most beloved of all Letterman's non-entertainment industry guests.

One of his "mother's" appearances was via a phone call when Johnny Carson paid a visit. It was staged--"It sounded to me like a cheerleader had broken into Mom's house and...answering her phone there." :D Starts at 4:45 here:

Barry "Frosty" Smith, drummer for Lee Michaels & Sweathog ("Hallelujah") has died at 71 years old on April 12. Here is Lee Michaels "No Part Of It" (from the last episode of ABC "The Music Scene" with host David Steinberg from January of 1970): Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Singer Cuba Gooding Sr. (member of The Main Ingredient "Everybody Plays The Fool" (1972) & "Just Don't Want To Be Lonely" (1974) & the whose son of is movie actor Cuba Gooding Jr.) has died at 72 years old. Cuba Gooding Sr. - Wikipedia . Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Last edited by a moderator:
Actress Erin Moran ("Happy Days" & "Joanie Loves Chachi") has died at 56 years old. Cause of death not determined. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Movie director Jonathan Demme (1992 Oscar winner "The Silence Of The Lambs") has died of heart disease at 73 years old. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

DEMME-Jonathan.jpg Jonathan Demme has a connection to the A&M label. He compiled 'KONBIT: THE BURNING RHYTHMS OF HAITI' (SP/CD 5281) which was released in 1989.

JB

(Autograph obtained on Aug. 19, 2005 in Nashville TN)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom