As Time Goes By... Hits Medley 76

actcrna

No doubt a wonderful medley, but why the ...... ..... .... ... .. . wait for it (otherwise you might miss it) l o n g pause before "And When He Smiles" ?
I understand that song was not part of the medley, but why not simply have it listed along with all the others gems.
Could "Thank You For The Music" also be hidden somewhere?
Thoughts?

"And When He Smiles" was placed as a bonus track on AS TIME GOES BY when it was first released in Japan. Bonus tracks were a dubious trend in the history of CDs. They were often tacked onto the final track like this with a long pause so as not to "interfere" with the album proper.

They were also sometimes hidden in the pre-leader of the first track. That way most CD players would skip them and go right to track 1. You had to hit your "back" button to find it.

If you had the American version of AS TIME GOES BY, you'd find the track unhidden.

Thank you for the explanation Harry.
I still wonder why Richard chose "And When He Smiles" to be Bonus or Hidden. I would not consider it to be an interference, if listed simply as another track on the album.

I still wonder why Richard chose "And When He Smiles" to be Bonus or Hidden. I would not consider it to be an interference, if listed simply as another track on the album.
It's like the "For All We Know (Reprise)" from the 1969-1981 album, there is no stereo master and the quality of Karen's voice is not as good as on even "Nowhere Man", because she was singing into a mic that was good for TV, but it's not as good as the ribbon mics that were used at Osbourne's studio or A&M. Both AWHS & FAWKR are from mono videotape masters.

the idea of a hidden track was just a marketing tactic of the '90s. the consumer was induced to thinking that he or she being the diehard fan that they were, had unearthed a gem, like an easter egg in games the first cd I bought that had a bonus track was VERY by the pet shop boys. I thought something had happened to the player because it had not recycled to track 1. It seemed about a minute or a so later the track began to play.

'And When He Smiles' is a great track. Very uplifting. "He's a boy from the good old Earth and the high-treed forests, and he's just about the happiest boy that I ever knew...." So different from the themes of most songs Carpenters recorded. Breezy and cheerful. Being an outdoorsy type and a nature lover, I reckon I would have loved this song if it had been released when I was a kid. I still love it, as it is. More of a highlight than a bonus track, although I take the point about the microphones of lesser quality and the live tv recording issues.

Great song and once I'd spliced it from the Medley for my MP3 listening pleasure it was even better. I always picture the concert footage with Karen's joyful drumming. I also love the Jambalaya type vocal sounds (no idea if there's a technical term for them). Pity they never recorded the song as a proper album track. Then again, perhaps it wouldn't have captured the same spark as this version has.

This thread made me go back to the 'And When He Smiles' Video - which on YouTube immediately was followed by the 1980 Hits Medley.
First -- And When He Smiles is just sototally sweet. Karen's playing is infectious, and the happiness of that tune - (although still wielding that same undertone of melancholy), has so many layers & textures... Just a lovely rendition of a fresh and happy tune...

Then - that 80's medley from Music Music Music.... Dang! That was so perfect. So beautifully directed with Karen floating though the orchestra, particularly, for Make It Easy On Yourself, which in my opinion, may be one of her best vocal performances - period.

What a nice break on a Rainy Monday.... Thanks, Karen & Richard!

Great song. Pity they never recorded the song as a proper album track. Then again, perhaps it wouldn't have captured the same spark as this version has.
I agree that the fact that 'And When he Smiles' was recorded live and that Karen appears in the footage to be enjoying herself probably gives the song an extra-joyful feel.

I read somewhere that Karen and Richard had intended to record the song in the studio. I can't remember if that info was in the sleeve notes of 'As a Time Goes By' or in a fan club newsletter.

I might have to try to get the US version of 'As Time Goes By', to get the stand-alone appearance of 'And When He Smiles'. I've got the Japanese version, where it's a hidden track.

I have a bootleg CD of the 1971 BBC concert. The sound quality obviously isn't as good but at least you can programme 'And When He Smiles' in its own right, or skip to it. The only problem is that one of Karen's best performances from the show, 'Superstar', is not included.

I agree that the fact that 'And When he Smiles' was recorded live and that Karen appears in the footage to be enjoying herself probably gives the song an extra-joyful feel.

I read somewhere that Karen and Richard had intended to record the song in the studio. I can't remember if that info was in the sleeve notes of 'As a Time Goes By' or in a fan club newsletter.
I have a feeling Richard may mention something along those lines in the concert before they perform the song.

Richard mentions it in the BBC video. By the way, in case you've never noticed, the version of the song in the video is the original television mono audio. For AS TIME GOES BY, Richard sweetened the track with a bit of strings that you can hear as the only stereo element.

Mono TV audio:

Pretty sure you're right. But another viewing of the concert won't hurt.
Yep, "A couple of the tunes, like the one we're going to do next are very new and we haven't had a chance to record them yet. This paricular tune features Bob Messenger on the electric flute and it's called 'And When He Smiles' ".

I've always been intrigued by the electric flute. As a lapsed flute player myself it looks like a normal flute with a microphone type thing attached to it.

I think in the ATGB liner notes Richard mentions that they did lay down a studio track (and apparently in 2001 the track still existed), but Karen was on drums so there is no lead vocal, not even a rough lead.

the idea of a hidden track was just a marketing tactic of the '90s. the consumer was induced to thinking that he or she being the diehard fan that they were, had unearthed a gem, like an easter egg in games the first cd I bought that had a bonus track was VERY by the pet shop boys. I thought something had happened to the player because it had not recycled to track 1. It seemed about a minute or a so later the track began to play.
I guess it's like with vinyl how some groups would record a message in the centre that would cause the record to keep turning, while repeating the same audio.

Back
Top Bottom