Autographed Items dilemma.

Wayne Crozier

Probably my must wanted item is anything with genuine signatures by both Karen & Richard, I am now getting to the stage of this becoming one of my major items which I need to add to my collection of Carpenters memorabilia. I’m guessing that over here in the United Kingdom the duo must have signed lots of items back in the day, but like anything I guess a signature can easily be replicated if the person who wants to make a buck is skilled enough at deceiving the customer. This is why I have held off bidding for items (some of which have gone for very reasonable amounts in all honesty), I have nearly took the plunge many times in recent months as I’ve seen a few items which through my research look spot on, fluent and authentic. It also seems to me that Karen especially used to sign “Hi, Karen Carpenter” , and on other items it seems that Karen and Richard may have signed independently of one another maybe at the same time or on different times. I really am keen to get something no matter how small to frame and appreciate and have a small but significant momento to top my collection. But after at least 4 years of looking I’m no closer to achieving this. I have signatures of two of my other favourite artists Joni Mitchell and Frank Sinatra but I would value the Carpenters as equally.

My two cents: Unless you are buying from someone who has a photo of K&R signing the actual item in question or has other bona-fide proof the signatures are real — give up the dream.
I was duped (in spite of a bogus “Certificate of Authenticity”): Had a signed “Close to You” cover on my wall for years, only to recently find out the autographs were fake.
And why not spend that big money elsewhere? On a pristine “Offering” cover, or an authentic 35th box, or the new vinyl set?
At least those you’ll KNOW the are real (if you’re careful) ... and get such pleasure.
I’ll never again settle for an autograph unless I’m standing in front of the celeb doing the signing.
That makes getting Karen’s impossible, of course.
But, who knows? The 50th is just around the Carpenters corner, and anything is possible.
(I know nothing, by the way. But, like all fans, I can dream, can’t I?)

Any opinions baout this item I recently bought is real? Did Karen ever signed followed by year's number?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

not sure if it helps, but here`s a screen shot of Karen` autograph from the beginning of `live in Budokan` where she and Richard sign whatever it is they sign.
I know it dos`nt really confirm or deny anything, because as we all know, signing your signature standing up on a magazine is a lot different to being sat at a desk!
personally, I agree with the post above, don`t buy anything with autographs on, unless they`ve stood in front of you and signed it there and then. I don`t have any myself and would rather have physical items I can enjoy and use :)

Untitled.jpg

Any opinions baout this item I recently bought is real? Did Karen ever signed followed by year's number?

s-l1600.jpg

I don’t think that signature is Karen’s, for four reasons: a) the curve of the lettering, particularly on the first name and “ter” of her surname, is nothing like Karen’s writing style; b) the “slant” of the writing is too tall and pointed; Karen’s signature was smoother and more round (as seen in the Budokan signature); c) she NEVER signed “love” on her signatures to fans; and d) she never to my knowledge added a two digit year after her name.

It’s a shame you already bought it because I’d say 99% it’s fake. Did you get any kind of authenticity certificate with it? Was the seller rated by other buyers?

Last edited:
I don’t think that signature is Karen’s, for four reasons: a) the curve of the lettering, particularly on the first name and “ter” of her surname, is nothing like Karen’s writing style; b) the “slant” of the writing is too tall and pointed; Karen’s signature was smoother and more round (as seen in the Budokan signature); c) she NEVER signed “love” on her signatures to fans; and d) she never to my knowledge added a two digit year after her name.

It’s a shame you already bought it because I’d say 99% it’s fake. Did you get any kind of authenticity certificate with it? Was the seller rated by other buyers?

I agree, that `Karen` is terrible, unless she`d had a few drinks when she signed it :agree:

I think it's really impossible to tell. I look at my own signature and it looks different every time.

I would never get anything online. No joke I actually did see on eBay a "Karen Carpenter signed Carpenters Lovelines 1989 LP"

I got my signed photo from Richard in September 2016 (just a few days after my 16th birthday) ... He signed it "To Simon, Best Always !
Richard Carpenter"

And you can see it... My profile picture !
I was even happier when I read somewhere that he said that the picture (he sent me) is his favorite Carpenters photo. ☺

I also got a double sided, hand-written letter from him in which he said " you are quite an articulate young lad, who also possesses a good taste in music !"

I would never get anything online. No joke I actually did see on eBay a "Karen Carpenter signed Carpenters Lovelines 1989 LP"

I got my signed photo from Richard in September 2016 (just a few days after my 16th birthday) ... He signed it "To Simon, Best Always !
Richard Carpenter"

And you can see it... My profile picture !
I was even happier when I read somewhere that he said that the picture (he sent me) is his favorite Carpenters photo. ☺

I also got a double sided, hand-written letter from him in which he said " you are quite an articulate young lad, who also possesses a good taste in music !"

You KNOW it's an authentic Richard Carpenter autograph it is says, "All the Best" or "Best Always" as every autograph I got from him has that salutation!

Back
Top Bottom