BBC Radio 2-THE HERB ALPERT STORY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a kick out of hearing from John Pisano and Pat Senatore as well. Love to hear those stories!

I see that Nick Lowe is a producer of this series. Is this the same Nick Lowe of "Cruel To Be Kind" fame?

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
I'm getting a kick out of hearing from John Pisano and Pat Senatore as well. Love to hear those stories!

Same here. It's almost like Herb = Groucho/Moe and John+Pat = Chico+Harpo/Larry+Shemp

--Mr Bill
I say Shemp because no one can compare to Curly...

OMG--I can't believe it! I just listened to the ENTIRE second part of the interview without even any download time and NO interruptions! It was like magic!

And what an interview it is! It's so nice to listen to the people themselves talk about their experiences with each other. I actually felt this episode was even better than the first.

Dan, thanks for your comments about Real Player. But today's experience was so much better, I'm thinking maybe it was a poor dial-up connection or something the first time around.

Marilyn,
who's still scratching her head over this one! LOL

For anyone who missed it (everyone, from the lack of comments here) -- Part 3 is now available for listening on the BBC site.

Now Playing: PART III...!! A&M really fought for those "Underdog Acts" and WON!!!! :cheers:

...Man, and I actually Live Here and couldn't do this!!! :biglaugh:

Dave

On the Main page of A&M corner it states about Pete Jolley,
"He can even lay claim to being part of a Billboard #1 single: he played electric piano on Herb Alpert's single, "This Guy's In Love With You."

But on Part 3 of the Herb Alpert Story Burt Bacharach says he played the piano as well as conduct the band. Were there two piano players?? It sounds like a Bacharach recording to me.

Pete Jolly played the electric piano intro. Burt Bacharach plays accoustic piano in the rest of the song, as well as arranging and conducting the track. I've always wondered if any of the TJB members outside of Herb played on this song.

I've always wondered if any of the TJB members outside of Herb played on this song.

Since Bacharach did the arrangement, he would have had a hand in picking the players for the session - though it sounds to me like Nick C. behind the kit.

Have there ever been any past discussions regarding this particular date??

John

So I asked BBC2 about listening to past editions. Having been at the beach, I missed volume 2...the one I really wanted to hear. BBC says:

Dear Richard,

Many thanks for your message.

I'm afraid we only have the rights to keep programmes available for 7 days after their first broadcast.

Sorry to disappoint.

Thanks for listening to Radio 2.

Best wishes,

Radio 2

Tony

Now I've listened to all four parts - thanks so much for putting it all toghether. A really excellent series of programmes which added some colour and depth to my knowledge of Herb and A&M. It must have been such fun interviewing all the participants!

Well done!!

Stephen

Part 4 - another home run. Very interesting to hear about how Herb and Jerry were recognizing the file sharing problem before it became mainstream news. And it was nice to hear a real Alpert rarity "This Masquerade" and Lani's "Love Song."

I was really hoping the show would conclude with Richard saying, "Herb's looking forward to getting the rest of his music out on CD in late 2006." That didn't happen, but still a great show.

This was a very well done series, and I applaud Tony for his hard work on this project! :cheers:

I bet there was some goodies that got cut out that I would love to hear. It would be nice if some American radio stations would pick this series up and broadcast it nationwide.

Capt. Bacardi

"...I'm not in love, but I still believe in persuasion..."

Yes, Part Four Rocks!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsdn:

I'm hearing a LOT of stuff I sure never heard before and even more which I am familiar with!

Anyway, I'm glad to have stayed around for it! :angel:

Dave

Captain Bacardi said:
This was a very well done series, and I applaud Tony for his hard work on this project! :cheers:

I bet there was some goodies that got cut out that I would love to hear. It would be nice if some American radio stations would pick this series up and broadcast it nationwide.

This would be a natural to broadcast on XM. I don't know which channel it would be best on, but I'm sure they'd find a home for it. Too bad the BBC couldn't license it out to a US outlet to broadcast it over here.

Hello all!
I have been a fan of Herb and the TJB since "Spanish Flea" days...in those days I used to play trumpet, and Herb was my inspiration...not that I got anywhere near his inimitable style and ability.
And I came across the Radio 2 show quite by accident...but managed to access the recordings on the BBC website......I managed to get Parts 2,3 and 4.
So well done Tony, on the programme and its construction. It came over
really well.

Regards,

peter S.Lewis

I just have to say it again: an excellent series, and nice work by Tony and the BBC crew! :thumbsup:

Excellent series .....thanks for all the hard work, interviews & editing
all the recordings into fascinating periods of Herb's career plus favourite
causes & interests outside music .... :D

Assume there are hours of extras that could not be used ....rather like
Carpenters BBC Radio 2 series of 4 30 minutes docs that EXCLUDED
4 additional hours of Richard Carpenter & other contributors from
several years back .... :o

Shame BBC cannot issue audio cassettes or CDs of series plus extra
bonus material for fans & music listeners :cool:

Tony -Thanks for wonderful series

Peter

Thank you all for your plaudits.

Of course, it was a very happy experience making the series, and I made it very much with the members of the A&M Forum in mind!

Nick and Paul looked after the knitting together of the raw material (I have some quibbles with their final choice of material - but it's purely a professional judgment!) but it was a great privilege to source the raw material.

A few post-series remarks, then.

I was surprised when Herb opened the door for me at his Foundation Headquarters. He was very relaxed (Jerry even more so) and it was a memorable and thoroughly delightful afternoon. His assurance that there were more "Lost Treasures" should please the many posters here who are looking for more.

John Pisano's unexpected lunch with Bob and Pat was a truly wonderful moment. John makes a fantastic pizza, and his adorable wife Jeanne is certainly a rival to Lani for sheer vocal ability. The nicest thing was making friends with such special people - and in that category I have to name Cissy Wechter and her sons. We had dinner together and I really didn't want the night to end. The icing on the cake is that subsequently Cissy put me in touch with Frank de Vito who wrote my old theme tune, "Big Red". Now that really was a treat!

The afternoon I spent with Richard C and his family was another privilege - he's a really nice man, and it was pure joy to discuss music with him for an afternoon as his kids roller bladed through the house!
But I cannot ignore Bob Findlay (yes of course we all know he joined TJB mark 2, but what a throughly nice guy) nor the fantastic Chris Montez, who was arguably the most fun of the trip. His impromptu duet with John Pisano was the kinda thing that just makes you smile!!

Herb and Pat's generosity in picking up the tab for my intended dinner treat at the Vibrato with John and Jeanne speaks volumes for these men. I can honestly say - after 43 years working closely with stars from Bob Geldof to Elton John - that Herb's TJB are very, very special people.

If there was any way I could have given everyone on this forum a CD of the roughs, I would have - it goes without saying. But the broadcasting business is complicated and, alas, I have to stick to the rules.

Several special people on the A & M Forum made this work - especially Steve Sidoruk. Thank you to them. Thanks also to everyone who listened. Radio is a two-way process. I make programmes for people to enjoy. If they don't. I've failed. That's very simple. When it works, it's magic.

Nick and Paul may seem like backroom boys, but I have to tell you they're both very experienced and extremely talented guys. Without them (as Juilius might have said) there would have been nothing.

Oh - and spare a thought for the staff at the Biltmore Hotel in LA. Arguably one of the world's finest hotels. The crew there went well out of their way to make things really great. If you're ever in LA - just go there. It's one of the nicest places to stay. And I speak from rather more experience of the world's hotels than I'd really like!!

A final plea to those who whinge about more reissues.

A year ago, this place was full of people griping that there were practically no TJB recording available. Now we have the major part of the catalog - plus the wonderful "Whipped Cream" remix. Can't you all be happy with what we've achieved in just over twelve months? I sure am.

Herb Alpert is a very special person. I can vouch for that. So is Jerry Moss.

Your taste in choosing to admire these guys is very, very fine.

Great job Tony, I thoroughly enjoyed the Radio 2 broadcasts.

I am one of the so called "whingers" who has been "griping" on about there being practically no TJB recordings available on the CD format and will continue to do so.

Personally, I have had to spend hundreds of pounds on ebay (and through other sources) in order to obtain CDs of the TJB and feel therefore, that I have every right to complain that after all these years we still do not have the entire catalogue available for fans.

I cannot understand why people post comments such as "be patient"! Wasn't Warm (for example) first released in 1969 and aren't we still waiting for that album and others to be released on CD?

Herb Alpert may well be a really nice guy but if he genuinely had his fans' interests at heart, he would have by now made the entire TJB catalogue available on CD. We are not talking "re-issues" here, we are talking about first time issues on CD of albums that were released in the late 1960s. early 70s!

I will continue to be patient, but I will also whinge and gripe until our lord and master deems it appropriate to throw us a few more crumbs.

Hello friends...have just listed to episode 4 (alas, I missed the others) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Obviously, I'm biased because I think Mr. Alpert is a musical genius and I sure hope the live album from the Vibrato comes true (maybe all of us members ought to receive an invite? lol) - would be as fun as seeing him on Leno a few months ago, or on dvd from Montreux with Jeff Lorber, or seeing one of those old TV shows that I hope wind up on a dvd soon...and I really hope he re-releases solo stuff, like "Just You and Me", "Beyond", and "Fandango"...and of course, Rise...

The nice thing about the interview is that it seems that the man is a genuine human being...which is borne out by his considerably philanthropy. I still think he ought to receive the Kennedy Center Honors for his role as an artist, music exec, painter, and supporter of the arts...

David

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I just joined this forum and totally missed out on hearing the interviews. Is there anywhere that these can still be heard? Thanks!

Unfortunately, no - for contractual reasons, the programmes were only available on the BBC website for seven days following transmission.

There are no plans at the moment for a repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom