Beautiful - The Carole King Musical

Captain Bacardi

Last night my wife and I went to "Beautiful - The Carole King Musical", which is part of the Broadway in Austin series. Obviously, it's about Carole King's career, starting from when she was a 16-year old girl determined to get a song published, to meeting Gerry Goffin at Don Kirshner's office, to having her first #1 record at 17 when the Shirelles recorded "Will You Still Love Me". It also focused on her friendship and competition with Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil (some funny moments with Mann's character) and the struggles Carole had with Goffin, whom she had a child with and a rocky marriage, as well as Goffin's personal struggles. IT also dealt with writing hit songs for other artists until artists started writing their own stuff and figuring out how to survive in the business with that issue. Then her meekness at performing in front of others to finally trying to record her own material.

A couple of neat stage props included a console hi-fi stereo with a rack of albums, with "The Lonley Bull" as the album that was propped up. Then when she was doing her "Tapestry" recording session with Lou Adler, the recording booth had a small sign at the bottom of the window that had 1416 N. La Brea Avenue, which of course was the A&M Records address.

This play won two Tony awards when it played Broadway a couple of years ago, as well as a GRAMMY for best Musical Theater Album.

It was a fun show to watch and the house was packed. It's playing in Austin through Sunday (two shows each on Saturday and Sunday). Lots of memorable songs and quite a few laughs as well. It was a two-and-a-half hour show with one intermission, but the time just flew by. It is on tour so if it comes near you I'd highly recommend seeing it! See the tour dates at their site.

BEAUTIFUL The Carole King Musical on Broadway | Official Site for New York Tickets | Home

Back
Top Bottom