Billy Paul - R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear... Mrs. Jones must be, too...

Billy had lots of good hit songs...

-- Dave

He was actually 81 (born Dec 1, 1934). He was one of those internet death rumors for a while. Sorry to hear that he actually passed.

Billy Paul lived for a time in Philadelphia, not too far from where our station's studios were for a time, in the center of town. He passed by one of my co-workers one day back in the late '70s and told them he liked our oldies station.

I started out disliking his record of "Me And Mrs. Jones", but it seems that once it was gone from the airwaves, whenever I DID hear it, it was like a breath of fresh air. Good song.

R.I.P. Mr. Paul.

And the "hits" just keep on coming... :shake:

I admit myself the song "Me and Mrs. Jones" took a few times to grow on me, but in recent years I've taken a stronger interest in Philly soul, and it's up there as a favorite. I'll have to get me some more Billy Paul...

upload_2016-4-25_12-0-41.png

He was born on December 1, which is why some of the news outlets show 80 and others 81.

Elton John said that Billy's version of "Your Song" was the version that Elton liked!! Billy also had another Billboard Top 40 song called "Thanks For Saving My Life" peaking at # 37 in May of 1974. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Loved the song in spite it being about an affair. It just sounded so classy! Michael Buble did a nice cover of it.
Sounds like Billy Paul was a nice man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom