Bob Messenger - INTERVIEW to come...

Bob Messenger is great, simply put. It's funny because he's the only one other than Tony that I recognize when I see him. :D He and the other band guys (let me see if I've got it: Tony Peluso, Gary Sims, Danny Woodhams, Joe Osborn, Hal Blaine) are really the unsung heroes of the Carpenters' studio albums. I wish I could've met them in person, too, just to say "thank you for contributing your wonderful sound".

One more -- Doug Strawn. If you mean members of their "Carpenters" traveling band, I don't think Joe belongs in this lineup, nor Hal. Cubby O'Brien would, having been on the road with them and on the "A Kind of Hush" album ("Goofus"). You're right, they were great. I thought Doug was quite a good lead singer, too, evident when he did a few numbers with Karen early on.

^^I knew I was forgetting somebody (it took me a while just to remember the names of those guys :hide:). I didn't put Cubby down because I was referring to their studio group, but I didn't know he played on "A Kind Of Hush". Thanks! :)

One more -- Doug Strawn. If you mean members of their "Carpenters" traveling band, I don't think Joe belongs in this lineup, nor Hal. Cubby O'Brien would, having been on the road with them and on the "A Kind of Hush" album ("Goofus"). You're right, they were great. I thought Doug was quite a good lead singer, too, evident when he did a few numbers with Karen early on.

Actually Bob played on several of the albums as well (tenor sax, flute & occasional bass) - so I consider him both a Carpenters studio cat as well as road bandie. :D

I am new here and have been hooked on their live preformances and JMO they had the BEST touring band EVER! To get the studio Carpenters sound live was JMO tough but they had such a awesome touring band that they could make that sound happen live.

Bob is the reason I wanted to play the sax - although I didn't know who he was then as I was just a little kid! But I loved his sound on Rainy Days and Mondays so much that I asked my parents what that instrument was...I started playing then in 4th grade all the way through college where I was a music major. I still play, but not professionally. Many thanks to Bob for getting me into music! I wonder if he knows his impact!

Bob is the reason I wanted to play the sax - although I didn't know who he was then as I was just a little kid! But I loved his sound on Rainy Days and Mondays so much that I asked my parents what that instrument was...I started playing then in 4th grade all the way through college where I was a music major. I still play, but not professionally. Many thanks to Bob for getting me into music! I wonder if he knows his impact!

The Messengers have become very good friends over the past year following a recorded interview I did with Bob. They live down in Capistrano Beach and are doing well. Here's Bob today for those interested...

BM2.png BM1.png

The Messengers have become very good friends over the past year following a recorded interview I did with Bob. They live down in Capistrano Beach and are doing well. Here's Bob today for those interested...

BM2.png BM1.png

Thanks Chris. Have you ever posted this interview? Maybe I missed it.

BM2.png BM1.png
Chris May,
Trying to get in touch with you regarding a book I am writing on the carpenters. Can you call me?
Dave (562)325-3429

Thanks Chris. Have you ever posted this interview? Maybe I missed it.

I've decided I'm going to put this interview out.

As I initially taped it for a project I was working on, it was a phone interview recorded at home and not recorded in the studio like all of the past radio interviews I did, therefore I was hesitant to publish it. It is quite raw, but gives a good look into Bob's personality. It also gives listeners a little bit better idea as to where the mindset is of the guys that once recorded all of that great music. A side note, it's amazing some of details they've forgotten, simply because they had no real idea as to how things would turn out in the "big picture" with regard to Karen and the Carpenters, nor the impact they would have on the world in the years to come.

Bob has not recorded any interviews since the Carpenter years, and even then whatever interview(s) he may have been a part of were most likely earlier on, and doubtful he contributed too much dialogue.

I felt that given Bob's incredible contribution to those albums, not to mention his unforgettable face and presence in the Carpenters entourage, it should be heard, as I expect to have it up in the next day or two.

Because there will be a small handful of some rare photographs that have been given to me to use with special permission (some of which have probably been seen in programs, however these are the originals), this audio-only interview will be created as a video and I'll throw a few of these in there, courtesy of the Bob & Joan Messenger collection.

Stay tuned!!

I've decided I'm going to put this interview out.

As I initially taped it for a project I was working on, it was a phone interview recorded at home and not recorded in the studio like all of the past radio interviews I did, therefore I was hesitant to publish it. It is quite raw, but gives a good look into Bob's personality. It also gives listeners a little bit better idea as to where the mindset is of the guys that once recorded all of that great music. A side note, it's amazing some of details they've forgotten, simply because they had no real idea as to how things would turn out in the "big picture" with regard to Karen and the Carpenters, nor the impact they would have on the world in the years to come.

Bob has not recorded any interviews since the Carpenter years, and even then whatever interview(s) he may have been a part of were most likely earlier on, and doubtful he contributed too much dialogue.

I felt that given Bob's incredible contribution to those albums, not to mention his unforgettable face and presence in the Carpenters entourage, it should be heard, as I expect to have it up in the next day or two.

Because there will be a small handful of some rare photographs that have been given to me to use with special permission (some of which have probably been seen in programs, however these are the originals), this audio-only interview will be created as a video and I'll throw a few of these in there, courtesy of the Bob & Joan Messenger collection.

Stay tuned!!

Amazing news Chris! Really looking forward to hearing this.

Bob Messenger was with the duo from the "get go". He's a "jack of all trades" as a musician. I can't wait to hear what he has to say! BTW Chris, really liked your interview with Joe Osborn & Hal Blaine a while back. I accessed it on YouTube before I joined this forum. I wish it could've gone on longer.

Wow Bob Wow! This should be a treat. Interviews with the band are pretty rare. Thank you Chris, in advance.

For some reason he and Peluso always stood out to me when I first got into the group. Maybe because they looked so different to Strawn/Woodhams. . .plus had their solos in the promo videos. They really were a motley crew, and that's what I love about them. Messenger always looked like a big friendly giant, to me.

Looked for some info on him and found this info from a chap named Bob Borochoff, written last year :

"Bobby is an old friend. He originally played saxophone in a band with my Mother in the sixties. My mom sang as Ruthi Scott in those days. Became ill and couldn't blow a horn anymore, switched to the bass. Great guy-taught me to play chess as a youngster in the sixties. Glad to hear he is still around."

Someone else wrote : "He lives in Southern California and still plays around town with a few local jazz bands."

I think he was a few years Richard's senior so he's probably mid 70's now. I'm just pleased he's still around, after the loss of Peluso and Strawn.

I met Bob a few years back... A very nice gentleman. He plays with my father's jazz band, "The Hal Willis Band", around Southern California and still rocks out at his age.

Back
Top Bottom