Box Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottb

After seeing Ice Magazine's description of the Box set (The set has now been distilled into cube form, with a hard slipcase and 76-page booklet) Does this mean it's the old 12X12 box set style or the book in box like the later pressing of "From The Top"?

Thanks

Scott B

The description "cube form" may mean that the set will literally look like a cube. Each CD may be in its own jewel case and, along with a CD-sized booklet, be housed in a hard cardboard slipcase. That's how I imagine that it might look, but I guess we'll have to wait for the release date (or at least for a picture to appear online) to know for sure.

Murray

I never saw "From the Top" in its re-configured style,but if it is like other Polygram boxes that were changed,they look like a book measuring about 5 7/8"X10". In all probability,the new cube will measure 5 3/4" on all surfaces. If you have seen how Sony changed their boxes like Springsteen's first live box,I suspect that will be how it will look. After the heyday of box sets wore off,manufacturers were frustrated that many chains segregated their expensive sets to a hidden ghetto in the store. It seemed that boxes only sold there during fourth quarter(Xmas)periods when people had moey to blow and guilt in their hearts. Also,stores finally figured out that thieves loved these places to steal lots of box sets-one stop shopping,eh. When my store was open,I never understood why stores didn't try and mix the box set of an artist with the other titles. We let the customer decide what they wanted. Our racks had ledges on top where we placed box sets throughout the department above the artists regular catalog. Sets like Clapton's "Crossroads",Jimmy Buffet's "Back to the Beach" and the Capitol Sinatra singles box all sold year 'round for us. Mac

I bought the original 12x12 incarnation of FROM THE TOP. As I recall, back in the late '80s/early '90s, stores for the most part had box sets in some of their old converted LP racks, and this 12x12 size fit perfectly in there. It wasn't too long after that (maybe six months? a year?) that I saw the FROM THE TOP set squished into the tall and less-wide book format. I remember looking carefully over that second incarnation, trying to determine if there might be anything different about it -- different tracks, different mixes, but there wasn't any indication at all. To date, I've still not seen one of these 'opened up', though from descriptions here I think I got the better deal with the 12x12 and its bigger book and individual jewel cases.

It sounds like the cube idea will be pretty good, especially if the discs are housed in jewel cases. It will also allow it to fit on a standard CD-sized shelf.

Harry
...with a week to go until ESSENTIAL, online...

I have that smaller "longbox" version of the set. Heck of a deal--it was like $22, used. :) On the contrary, I'd never seen the 12x12 version. Next time you're in Detroit, or I'm in Philly, we'll need to compare notes. :wink:

The booklet is actually part of the box set--not removable. The text is pretty much in two columns, one on each page. Probably has the same content as yours, unless yours had any full-page photos that obviously wouldn't fit in mine.

I'm split on 12x12. I have a couple of sets that use the 12x12 format. Two of these have exceptionally good booklets. One is the original Led Zeppelin box set, and another is the Complete Roulette Maynard Ferguson (10CDs). The bigger book does make for a better presentation of photos, but having to store the box and booklet takes up a lot of shelf space for something that's empty (since I store the jewel cases in the CD rack). There are a couple of other box sets (longbox format) where I'd made up my own jewel cases in order to put them in one of my CD racks, vs. having to try to set something up for the box sets.

I'm also way out of storage space. :|

-= N =-

Rudy said:
The booklet is actually part of the box set--not removable. The text is pretty much in two columns, one on each page. Probably has the same content as yours, unless yours had any full-page photos that obviously wouldn't fit in mine.

I have both the 12X12 and longbox versions of "From The Top", and both have their advantages, I suppose. The original set has a much nicer booklet, with larger pictures (although all the same pictures appear in both booklets). The individual jewel cases allow the CDs to be stored with the rest of my collection. Each jewel case has a booklet with a cover picture that I don't think appears in the later set (I'd have to check to be certain).

The longbox set fits more easily on a bookshelf, and the booklet is always handy if you want to refer to it while playing the CDs. When I listen to this set, I occasionally load all 4 discs into my CD player (a 5-disc carousel) at the same time, and it is much easier to do this from the longbox than it is to have to open 4 individual cases. I don't like that the booklet is non-removable. I would have prefered that it be in a plastic sleeve. The booklet in my ABBA set detached itself from the box (it was stapled VERY poorly) and there is no way to re-attach it. Since then, I have been extra careful when handling From The Top.

The worst designed box set that I have is Manilow's. It has 4 CDs, a book, and a VHS video. Whenever I open the box, the book falls out on the floor, and the CDs are hard to remove. I'm afraid that I might tear the box if I use too much force, or that the video will fall out and be damaged.
I think that I'll take Neil's advice and get some jewel cases for the CDs.

Murray

And the Grammy for goofy design (dangerous,too,read on)goes to--- Verve's Complete Bill Evans box. Housed in a steel casement,with another hunk of steel holding the plastic CD sleeves like a key chain,this thing is heavy and deadly for CDs. Smeone had the bright idea to not finish the steel so that it purposely rust and rots with any residue attaching itself to the CDs,suposedly symolizing how Bill's music gets in your head and never lets go,but it could also sybolize heroin use,I guess. A disclaimer suggesting that owners polyurethane the box are iffy-what you miss a spot that a manufacturing plant would have known how to solve before assemby. A story has been told that the first prototype was presented to the then head honcho at Polygram(Alain Levy? or possibly their European jazz chief) and he cut his hand openig the sharp(and possibly not polished)cover. The box,already delayed by over a year,took another few months to correct but it still came out rust ready. I own a copy,courtesy of my ever lovin' wife( I was REALLY GOOD that Christmas) and the music is special,but oh,that box. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom