1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Brasil '66 singles

Discussion in 'Look Around: Sergio Mendes/Brazilian Music Forum' started by Harry, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Very astute observations Michael. The term turntable hits was used for all those MOR songs that got a lot of airplay on those MOR stations, but very little in record sales. Middle of the Road AKA Easy Listening Music was my kind of music growing up as a teenager in the 1960s. Sure the Beatles and Beach Boys were great to listen to. But for me the easy listening artists such Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Tony Bennett, Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme etc. singing the great songs of the great composers of the 1960s such as Jobim, Bacharach, Legrand, Mancini, Van Heusen & Cahn was the pinnacle in pop music. Then with the arrival of groups such as the TJB, BMB, and Brasil 66, this was like icing on the cake. Alas, sadly by 1979 when Billboard Magazine's Easy Listening chart was changed to Adult Contemporary, most of the classic MOR artists had lost their record contracts and even turntable hits were but a memory. Fortunately for me here in San Diego in the 1970s, the huge collection of Brazilian music at the legendary Tower Records filled the void. What a joy it was to browse the record aisles and discover and purchase Brazilian albums which became for me the greatest pop music in the world. A music whose richness and sophistication in melody, harmony and rhythm was without equal.

Michael in addition to the KMPC and KFI stations in LA, do you recall KBIG AM Radio Catalina in the late 60s early 70s? The signal was weak so they had to sign off at night, but what great middle of the road music they played during the day, with a lot less talk. They had fabulous choral singers who with the amazing vocal acrobatics of Sally Stevens sang a variety of the station's jingles. And KBIG had the late, great DJ Ray Willes with his deep bass voice. He went on to become the announcer of the Barbara Walters Specials.

2. Michael Hagerty

Michael Hagerty Active Member

Worse...it shipped multi-platinum, and nearly FOUR MILLION copies were returned. It's believed only 100,000 (at best) ever made it into the hands of paying customers.

3. Michael Hagerty

LJ: I'm sorry for the five-month delay, but I'm just now seeing your post!

I sure do recall KBIG. Their being a daytimer wasn't because their signal was weak. Their signal was weak and they were a daytimer by order of the Federal Communications Commission---because they were on the same spot on the dial (740 AM) as KCBS in San Francisco. They might have been able to get around the daytime-only authorization with a directional signal, but they also had to protect a pre-existing 740 in Phoenix, Arizona and one in Toronto, Canada. And, if I'm not mistaken, there is or was a 740 south of the border. So a directional signal would have had to be pointed due west---out over the Pacific from KBIG's transmitter on Catalina Island. There'd be only a partial signal on the island itself and nothing would reach Los Angeles, so there was no point in nighttime operation.

By the way, the station, now Christian programming as KBRT, has since moved its transmitter to the mainland in between Corona and Irvine and, thanks to FCC rules that weren't in effect back in the day, operates at night with 190 watts, a low enough wattage to not cause trouble for Phoenix, much less Canada or Mexico. The move inland also eliminated a daytime interference issue with KCBS, since radio waves travel well over open water.

4. Thanks Michael for your update on why KBIG AM signed off at night. Very interesting indeed. Compare that to the west coast powerhouse LA's 50,000 watt clear channel station KFI, which can be heard throughout the western United States at night. What got me hooked on KBIG in 1970 was how they played tons of songs from Brasil 66 and the TJB.

5. Michael Hagerty

Yep. They and KGIL in San Fernando (1260 AM) both were very good alternatives to KMPC and KFI. We "weird kids" (my term for myself and other Baby Boomers who liked MOR) had a lot to choose from back then. In fact, KGIL is where I first heard Sergio's "Crystal Illusions"....on one of those socked-in early Sunday mornings in the South Bay. Eerie and atmospheric.

KFI had a monster signal. Pulled them in on a car radio in East Texas in the summer of 1970. Impossible these days, with electronic interference.