Brasil Brasil 2007 Episodio 1: Do Samba a Bossa

Status
Not open for further replies.

lj

Here is a YouTube classic--an hour documentary from the BBC with the narration in English. It is historical and supremely enjoyable, tracing Brazilian music from Samba to Bossa Nova. In addition it includes some great interviews from likes of Carlos Lyra and Sergio Mendes. I will next retrieve and post Episode 2.

This should be a good companion to some of the books out there about Brazilian music history. :agree: The book I read by Ruy Castro covered the early Bossa Nova era, following Joao Gilberto as he honed his style, up until the Sinatra/Jobim album. I'd like to find another book that covers the history from that point onward.

It's interesting to see many names mentioned that never really caught on in the US.

There is another very good book about this musical era entitled "Antonio Carlos Jobim An Illuminated Man" written by Jobim's sister Helena. Rather than a detailed analysis of his body of work, the emphasis is on the life and times of Jobim, the man. The forward is written by Robert Lamm, the keyboard player of Chicago.

That would be an interesting book! While I like reading about the music side, the personal autobiographies often give more of a personal insight into how (and why) the music was created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom