Can new tech remove the page-turning sound from "Trying to Get the Feeling Again"?

Without A Song

I thought about this when I heard about the machine-learning-assisted audio restoration technology used to separate John Lennon's voice from the rest of his demo for "Now And Then." "Trying to Get the Feeling Again" still sounds great even with the page-turning sound but I'd like to hear it without that slight distraction.

I thought about this when I heard about the machine-learning-assisted audio restoration technology used to separate John Lennon's voice from the rest of his demo for "Now And Then." "Trying to Get the Feeling Again" still sounds great even with the page-turning sound but I'd like to hear it without that slight distraction.

You can hear it without Karen's 'mouth clicks' if you like - Interpretations 1995 version.

Off-topic, but I've always felt the "mouth-clicks" were part of what made her voice so intimate - really close-miking as a whole did.

Probably the best way to remove it would be to isolate the vocal track and then mute it briefly at that one part. There's all kinds of AI music separators available for public use online, but none of them really produce very satisfying results, as the software can't seem to isolate one track entirely without any distortion or any other sounds bleeding through.

I have no idea where people are able to find the original studio multitracks for so many songs, but that's always the cleanest way to get an isolated track - I would imagine one exists out there somewhere for TTGTFA as that was really just a demo vocal.

Probably the best way to remove it would be to isolate the vocal track and then mute it briefly at that one part. There's all kinds of AI music separators available for public use online, but none of them really produce very satisfying results, as the software can't seem to isolate one track entirely without any distortion or any other sounds bleeding through.

The AI used to remove the aircon sounds on 'Rainy Days And Mondays' would remove the mouth clicks in about 30 seconds :laugh:

Oh, well maybe I would just leave it be then…gotta keep that authenticity :laugh:

(Is that what that slight hum is? That kind of rings a bell from The Musical Legacy but it’s been a couple years since I’ve read that book.)

I like it in there. I listen for it every time. I think it makes it unique and is a reminder about how special it was for Richard to find the recording so many years later.

What sort of irritates me is he finds a lost recording and wants to make a whole release around it and finish it (page turn and all). Yet most unreleased stuff that's there that fans want to hear stays in the vault till it rots away. Sorry just venting I guess. I do enjoy the song though.

Something I've often wondered, not sure if there's a clear answer on this. Which came first? 'Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again' or the Interpretations album concept? In other words, was the album planned before they discovered this lost track, or did the 'covers' album idea come about because they discovered the track?

What sort of irritates me is he finds a lost recording and wants to make a whole release around it and finish it (page turn and all). Yet most unreleased stuff that's there that fans want to hear stays in the vault till it rots away. Sorry just venting I guess. I do enjoy the song though.

I think a lot of what's left doesn't have a full lead vocal. I remember reading a translation of the interview Richard did for the Mook, in which they talked about all the outtakes, and I lost count of the number of times he said "another one without a complete lead". They were lucky with this one because it's a full work lead that was good enough to pass for an official release.

Don't forget, we're fortunate enough to have had no less than four full albums of unreleased material since Karen's passing, not including this track :)

Last edited:
Don't forget, we're fortunate enough to have had no less than four full albums of unreleased material since Karen's passing, not including this track :)
And to be honest, I haven’t even listened to any of that stuff (less a couple tracks on Voice Of The Heart), so I still have a lot of “new” stuff to discover myself.

There is enough for at least an ep. Try to win a friend, all my life etc. Spectrum Demo tape would be nice. Just the performances from your navy presents but bet red tape is keeping that from being released. Any other acetates that might remain from parting of our ways or nowhere man. Good vibrations medley. Just sigh. Richard also flat out says no to a few that do have work leads sadly like Better World snd Sebastian. So there's that too. :sad:

There is enough for at least an ep. Try to win a friend, all my life etc. Spectrum Demo tape would be nice. Just the performances from your navy presents but bet red tape is keeping that from being released. Any other acetates that might remain from parting of our ways or nowhere man. Good vibrations medley. Just sigh. Richard also flat out says no to a few that do have work leads sadly like Better World snd Sebastian. So there's that too. :sad:

I've never been that enamoured with Your Navy Presents. It was nice to hear the tracks once or twice but I must admit I've never listened to them again. The one moment that stood out for me and really impressed me was the segue from 'Clancy' to 'All I Can Do'. That was so left of field and unexpected the first time I heard it. I loved that.

I've never been that enamoured with Your Navy Presents. It was nice to hear the tracks once or twice but I must admit I've never listened to them again. The one moment that stood out for me and really impressed me was the segue from 'Clancy' to 'All I Can Do'. That was so left of field and unexpected the first time I heard it. I loved that.
Completely enamored over here. I love everything about it. :) I get it totally and respect liking the more polished arrangements and when Karen's vocals matured, and of course I do too, but I also enjoy the not-fully-realized yet stages (I even like the Richard Carpenter Trio stage lol). What I especially like about YNP is that this is them before their world turns upside in as little as a month later. They are having a blast just playing together. This is what shines through on these 12 recordings, at least to me. It makes me smile.
I love can't buy me love. That should've also been on from the top. And agree about the seague.
Can't Buy Me Love making any compilation would have cool beans indeed.This was such a fun segment. Thank goodness the non-tremolo version of Get Together on YNP did make From the Top though (and The Essential Collection).

Last edited:
Richard could do a "deluxe release" of each album...CD 1 could be the original album mix, and CD 2 could be remixes or alternate takes of the album's songs AND six or seven "unreleased tracks" from the extensive list that exists. It doesn't really matter if it's good stuff or not, becauuse most people would give it one listen and then forget it. (I base this on my eager acquisition of "deluxe editions" of several Fleetwood Mac and Alan Parsons albums... as much as I like Fleetwood Mac and Alan Parsons, I've listened to the vast majority of all those bonus tracks exactly one time.)

The biggest problem with this is, Richard doesn't want to put anything out that doesn't sound finished. While I completely understand that, there's such a thing as fan service too.

Of course, in all reality, he's said many times that there's nothing left that's worth releasing, so anything else seeing the light of day will probably be left to the bootleggers, or (in later years) Richard's heirs.

Or maybe do what ABBA did, make a medley of these unfinished/unreleased songs. At least the parts Richard was content with. Just for the fans. Maybe this would be something we might listen to more than once?? :hmmm:

Since I never got to see them in concert, I would love to see cleaner video available. It's hard to imagine there aren't cleaner version available of Budokan '72, the Boston Pops gig, etc. I suppose rights issues are at the heart of some of them (and the fact that Richard is not a big fan of the sound at the live performances) but it's still all we are going to get after 1983.

Back
Top Bottom