Canto de Osannha/Let Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Hagerty

Contributor
Listening to the Tamba 4 and Sandpipers versions on Spotify this evening and it struck me...wouldn't "Let Go" have been a natural for a Brasil '66 single rather than the Sandpipers?

----Michael Hagerty

Yes, a pity Brasil 66 never recorded this truly classic song by Baden Powell & Vinicius de Moraes. I have a incredible version of it from a live Italian concert from October 18, 1978 on DVD entitled "Jobim, Vinicius & Toquinho com Miucha live @ rtsi." What an amazing lineup of talent. If the DVD is still available--buy it!! A one hour concert of Brazilian musical gems.

I would get that DVD even if it were just Miucha...her daughter looks (and sounds) a lot like her. :love:

Rudy you are right, Miucha is awesome. Enjoy a fantastic song on Youtube from this DVD composed by two Brazilian living legends--Miucha's brother Chico Buarque and Caetano Veloso. It's entitled "Vai Levando." The way the song swings and sways is Brazilian music at its best.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Let Go" is one of my favorite Sandpipers songs. I agree it would have been great for Brasil '66. Maybe Sergio could have done a fast/slow arrangement sort of like "Festa."

Tamba Trio did a version of it on an early album of theirs, with vocals. I've been unable to find a good copy of that album, except as a ratty needle drop from a worn LP. It is different than the Tamba 4 version. I'd be interested in seeing how many other versions are out there.

We had a thread about the Sandpipers version of the song not all that long ago. And I put the track up on Youtube:

Harry

Yes, Brasil 66' would have done a great rendition of this. The Tamba 4 version is my favorite instrumental and Astrud Gilberto (on Verve) has vocal I've heard to date.

I love this song. as i first heard the Sandpipers version. the lyrics really spoke of the times and it also had special meaning for me at that time then several years later i finally obtained Tamba 4 "We And the Sea" on CD and lo and behold. There it was as an instrumental cover. I even have a version by Martin Denny played on a Moog synthesizer ( anybody remember those?) I too wonder about other vocal versions of "Let Go" ( Chant of Ossanha) . the fact that its been covered more than once shows it is the mark of a Great Song.

I'm not a betting man (I tell the wife not to waste our money on lottery tickets), but if I were, I'd bet that the Sandpipers' version, Let Go, was backed by Brasil '66: backround vocals by Lani & Janis, percussion by Jose Soares and Joao Palma on drums (not sure about the piano and bass). Maybe Herb on trumpet? When I first heard it, thought it WAS Sergio & Brasil '66.....

Last edited:
I'm not a betting man (I tell the wife not to waste our money on lottery tickets), but if I were, I'd bet that the Sandpipers' version, Let Go, was backed by Brasil '66: backround vocals by Lani & Janis, percussion by Jose Soares and Joao Palma on drums (not sure about the piano and bass). Maybe Herb on trumpet? When I first heard it, thought it WAS Sergio & Brasil '66.....

Well...by the time the Sandpipers released this, Sergio and company were already on their second iteration, so Janis, Jose, and Joao were out of the picture. FOOL ON THE HILL, the first Brasil '66 album with the "new" group was SP-4160, and THE WONDER OF YOU album by Sandpipers was twenty full numbers later at SP-4180. The record sure has that Brasil '66 groove though - I can't deny that.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom