1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to [email protected]. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Price Watch Carpenters: 2017 Vinyl Releases/Box Set

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Rudy, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin Thread Starter

US
    I figured this would be a good place to keep track of the pricing for the Carpenters A&M box set, and the individual vinyl titles within. If you have updates of sales or less expensive sources, by all means paste a link into this thread to share it. :)

2. Rudy

US
    This is apparently a Cyber Monday deal. These are today's prices, subject to change.

The Vinyl Collection (box set) is currently $136 at Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076BWQY9H/

The Singles at $16.31: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076BWQWWL

Horizon at $16.31: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076DS34GJ

Now & Then at $14.19: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076BWKQXT

All of the Universal releases are listed here--it helps to check this page daily if looking for bargains:

Amazon.com:Universal Music Group

3. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    That's odd. Earlier today I saw the $136.00 at Amazon but now I just clicked the link and it's back up to $170.99 so maybe that $136.00 was a Cyber Monday hourly special ha ha. I was hitting myself all day thinking darn if only I waited and could have saved myself $20.00 lol

4. Rudy

US
    Ouch! I checked it maybe an hour ago and the price was still $136. I refreshed it now, and it's back to $170.

The three individual albums are still priced as above, but I bet those will change shortly as well. But I'm sure as with the box set, the prices on all of these will adjust daily. If I catch another bargain here or elsewhere, I'll post it.

5. ullalume

ullalume Well-Known Member

Just looking at the UK Amazon and the prices are ridiculously higher. . . .like 426.00 dollars. . .wonder why it's so much more?

6. Graeme

Graeme Active Member

I was put off after reading the less than favourable reviews of their service (though I'm surprised they're still in business if every customer's experience is the same as that of the reviewers). I'm waiting to see how others do with their orders from the firm before making a decision. It's a great deal though if everything goes smoothly.

7. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

8. Rudy

US
    Amazon: Now & Then is still $14.19. Singles has crept up a few dollars, and Horizon is back to nearly full price.

9. Rudy

US
    That is a good price for the UK. £139 is certainly better than Amazon's offering.

10. ullalume

ullalume Well-Known Member

11. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

12. Rudy

US
    That is where I ordered some clearance LPs from over the weekend. (See my Black Friday/Cyber Monday thread in the 'Small Circle' forum area.) Excellent deals! They ended up not having one of my selections in stock, but it was promptly refunded. And the LPs arrived very well packaged.

We're discussing that in the main Vinyl Collection thread...and we even have one of those comment authors who registered and shared a photo of what his LP looked like. Scary stuff!

13. $160 right now for boxed set. With the bad reviews it may get cheaper

14. Karen4ever

Karen4ever Member

Just to note that the box set is available at B&N at $171, but an applicable 20% discount coupon (expires 12/3) is available, thus lowering the effective price to about $137. Shipping would be free just like Amazon.

Rudy likes this.
  15. Rudy

US
  16. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    The code appears to be "Presents" it's in the banner at the top, 20% off a single item. Online or in store. Very good deal indeed.

17. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    Barnes & Noble is also selling the Lp's individually so if your only interested in a certain album, using that 20% off is a pretty good deal, maybe even test the waters...hint hint Harry. :)

Rudy likes this.
  18. Rudy

US
    If I could get A Song For You and a couple others, I'd be all set. Not sure if I should wait several months, though, as I'd rather not have to deal with getting all of the defectives replaced. (Although, if they are defective and replaced directly by UMe, my chances of getting a better copy might be greater.)

The Amazon deal I had on Horizon at $16.31 was something like 30-35% off of the list price. I keep thinking/hoping that will happen again on a few other titles. But 20% off of B&N's $23.74 still works out to a better deal than the $24.99 list price! :thumbsup:

I probably didn't see the banner as one of my ad blockers probably killed it off...

19. Rudy

US
    Now & Then is still $14.19 on Amazon, BTW. Interesting...

Rick-An Ordinary Fool likes this.
  20. I've tossed around this set's idea for months now, and I keep coming back to the conclusion that I just don't need it.

I ask myself, "What would I miss out on?" And the answer is, all of the discussion about this release, and the fun of collecting. Then I ask, "What would I gain by having this?" And the answer is, really not much. Discussion I can participate in anyway, and as far as collecting goes, I don't have room to store it anyway.

And really, I don't feel I would be gaining much of anything with this set. OK, there's the "restored" original artwork. Well, from what I'm hearing, it's OK, the textures are right, the flaps are correct, but the labels are sometimes torn. And I already own all of the original albums with the original artwork. It's all in good enough shape for me to look at and admire any time I want.

The music on the discs: it's all just the same as what I have. The originals were made back when the material was new, so there's no wear-and-tear on the masters to worry about, but on the new set, well, maybe it's pretty good if Richard gave it a thumbs-up.

There's just no "hook" for me with this one. Nothing to grab me and get me to say, yeah, it's worth it. Buying the catalog on CD back at the 35th anniversary, THAT was something nifty. No, I didn't really need the audio recordings. I already had them. That one was ALL about packaging and not content. But there, the packaging made us admire the authenticity of the Japanese in replicating labels, inserts, and texture, all in a CD format. And it included the Christmas albums and OFFERING. Was it totally authentic? No, "Those Good Old Dreams" was altered there too. But the rest of it was all pretty much perfect.

I just can't justify this one. And I don't "need" it in any way.

21. Rudy

US
    The only way I justify it is because I think the digital versions all sound awful... :wink:

22. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly I have everything I wanted and needed for my collection so I myself have no need for this set either but its interesting to read about others experiences with the music regardless of format.

23. Rudy

US
    I only want maybe three more titles (four at the most), so I am following prices on the individual albums mainly.