Carpenters "A Video Biography"...Richard 'stand-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
Have any of you guys seen the Carpenters "A Video Biography"? It's a very cheesy DVD import from China, given the fact that there are subtitles all over the screen, and a poor karaoke 're-make' of each song panned over to the right channel (stereo DVD). The most amazing fact is that the in video of "Please, Mr. Postman", in what looks to be like some late night talk show performance setting, the entire band (as well as Karen of course) is there, but the guy sitting at the electric piano is definitely NOT Richard. Looks a bit like him, like a "look-alike" Rich. And Karen's hair looked like that in her solo album shots, so my guess is this must have been some kind of prior commitment that the Carpenters were not able to get out of, perhaps when Richard was on hiatus in '79. Hmmmm....Check it out if you haven't seen it! -Chris

You're right on both counts. Yes, the Video Biography is pretty cheesey. It was produced in Singapore and made in Taiwan, and I'm pretty sure it was done without any involvement at all from Richard. Back on the old board, Ran mentioned that he'd heard that Richard was seeking a copy of this DVD. Whether or not it was for eventual legal action or not, I don't know.

I do recall a discussion that the "Please Mr. Postman" video hails from a European TV performance ( I forget which country) that Richard was unable to attend. I'm pretty sure it's from his "year off". Since the TV show was just looking for a lip-sync performance, Karen and the band hauled off to Europe to do the show. I get a kick out the guy sitting behind the piano in the background with his arms folded!

I really cringe when watching this DVD, with the awful karaoke orchestra melded into the Carpenters own audio. There are all sorts of wrong chords and notes, and even mis-tuned instruments making the whole thing discordant.

Harry
...wondering what Richard thought of it, online...

Have not seen this Video -only heard about the Poor to Awful Footage and Dreadful Audio :oops:

From your Descriptions -this sounds like Karen's UK Bruce Forsyth Special -where Please Mister Postman was Performed Excellently.Richard was Absent -officially Flu ! -the real reason as we now know due to Prescription Abuse and Exhaustion :sad:

Karen undertook this Promotional Visit like a Trouper, this was the first Solo Visit and No-One Noted any Change in Interviews or Performances from Carpenters usual :)

Peter...Recalling Great Karen Performances......

Actually, I think Richard was off the presciption drugs at that point. I think that clip is from thier European tour promoting Made In America. Richard was cured by then, Karen had yet to go to New York for her treatment.

Geographer said:
Actually, I think Richard was off the presciption drugs at that point. I think that clip is from thier European tour promoting Made In America. Richard was cured by then, Karen had yet to go to New York for her treatment.

The clip is from The Bruce Forsyth Show, taped in December 1978 in London, England. Karen did the show without Richard, as he was still very much addicted to the Quaaludes, and in no condition to travel or perform.

Here is a quote from page 240 of Coleman:

"They were booked to appear on the 'Bruce Forsyth' TV show, a prospect that horrified Richard. 'I knew damned well I couldn't get on a plane and do that show. I was doing nothing but staying home, counting the hours between taking the pills.'"

Richard entered the Menninger clinic on January 11, 1979.

Murray
...setting the record straight...

I think we are mixing up two different events. Richard, while touring England promoting Made In America missed the taping of a show because of "the flu." And, looking at the Please Mr. Postman clip from A Video Biography, it looks like it is from that promotional tour (based that solely on Karen's appearence). She looks like "1981" Karen and not "1978" Karen. But I could be wrong! Won't be the first time!

It looks like Karen in '78, around the visit in England where she appearend on the Bruce Forsyth show. During the tape, Karen says something like Richard is in LA, flat on his back with the flu.

Craig

...and it appears that the clip from that Bruce Forsyth Show, complete with the original live audio has been posted at the new incarnation of RoadOde.com. Looks like "Ran" has come to terms with Carpenters again.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom