Carpenters "Collected" Vinyl Release

I pre ordered from here in the uk they may post internationally for the white vinyl

Carpenters - Collected

Also available widely on pre order from

Collected: White Numbered Vinyl

And the ones I usually use below all are the white vinyl pre order - what records whom are excellent and probably will have a few copies to ship as they are a great source

COLLECTED Limited Gatefold Numbered White 180gram Audiophile 2LP Set - CARPENTERS

It's weird that the numbered white vinyl set costs less than the normal vinyl set?!

So I ordered. But card was declined because bank thought it was a fraudulent transaction. I verified and clicked a couple of things and now my bank shows 3 purchases. Eeekkk!!!

Have emailed the vinyl store and told them. Hoping they will fix it.

Jonathan

I may spring for this release, only if I knew what versions/remixes were on it. One reason I enjoy the "Nation's Favourite" disc so much is that it offered several versions- variety between original and new (some I had never really heard before). If it's all run-of-the-mill contemporary mixes, I'll probably pass (even though it pains me, as I love to support Carpenters efforts whenever possible). Maybe the vinyl box set will bring album reissues- would buy a copy of "Lovelines" in a heartbeat :D

Those are, with an exception or two, largely among the most forgettable of Carpenters repertoire. I'd say the single most regrettable exclusion is "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song".

Now, the other interesting thing is that COLLECTED was compiled from original album tracks taken from the Remastered Classics, which by their very nature, sounded the way the tracks sounded originally on vinyl. So will these tracks be those same "original vinyl" tracks? Or will they include remixes this time?

We'll have to wait and see.
I suppose that's a matter of opinion, Harry. I, personally, would agree that '(Want You) Back in my Life Again', 'Beechwood', 'Calling Your Name Again' and 'Sandy' are largely forgettable and that 'Lovelines' and 'If I Had You', while not exactly forgettable, don't quite hit the mark but, speaking based on my own preferences, some of the other tracks are delectable.

I know what you're saying, though - that amongst these, there are none of Carpenters' mammoth hits.

I may spring for this release, only if I knew what versions/remixes were on it. One reason I enjoy the "Nation's Favourite" disc so much is that it offered several versions- variety between original and new (some I had never really heard before). If it's all run-of-the-mill contemporary mixes, I'll probably pass (even though it pains me, as I love to support Carpenters efforts whenever possible). Maybe the vinyl box set will bring album reissues- would buy a copy of "Lovelines" in a heartbeat :D
As I mentioned earlier I don't have this set on CD but according to the Recourse site here there are no remixes on this set, they are the album versions. I would assume the same masters used for the CD's would be used for the vinyl yet stranger things have happened so it's not for sure until someone reviews this upcoming LP release.

As a side note, it appears that Amazon UK has changed there photo for this LP, they had a photo showing it was black vinyl, the photo is now gone and I noticed the title has changed to include black vinyl. Carpenters Collected (Gatefold sleeve) [180 gm 2LP black vinyl]

So it appears Amazon UK is selling the black vinyl and not the limited edition white vinyl. Argh!! I think I want the white vinyl now lol I'm undecided.

Last edited:
So I ordered. But card was declined because bank thought it was a fraudulent transaction. I verified and clicked a couple of things and now my bank shows 3 purchases. Eeekkk!!!

Have emailed the vinyl store and told them. Hoping they will fix it.

Jonathan
I might actually BUY a white vinyl copy, after all, if there are any left for the rest of us, once Song4uman finishes buying all of HIS copies!!!! :)

I don't know who to order from for the white vinyl, I've never heard of any of these dealers in the UK (listed above) and a little wary of ordering online from places I've never heard of or used. Any suggestions?

Was between this release and the SACD of Singles '69-'73 from CD Japan... bit the bullet for the latter. (I've been wanting a copy since I read about it on these boards. :))

The cool white vinyl was probably the only selling point for me. I may end up getting it anyway- I'm a sucker for liner notes. Gatefold sleeve...oohhh...:D

Can't wait for this to come in.....and getting ready to order the complete set - even though I have every album already.....

November 3 release date on this one seems to be the magical date, and it appears it will be readily available in the US.

https://amazon.com/Collected-Carpenters/dp/B075DNBR1W

They can be less expensive ordering from Amazon in the EU (such as Germany, UK, etc.) even after shipping. Some other US retailers are listing this item as being available, so it is worth shopping around a bit.

As for white vs. black, a couple of notes.

First, many Music on Vinyl titles are given a limited run where the first batch of pressings are on colored vinyl, and numbered. After that, they are pressed in black. The price does not change, and neither does the catalog number; I don't see how retailers can specify either one, unless they wait until they get some in stock and hand separate them. On the other hand, the MOV site says the following (my emphasis added): "Limited first pressing of 3.000 individually numbered copies on white vinyl." That makes me think that all of the first copies issued might be on white vinyl. They typically will not press more than a batch this size since they never know if a title will sell.

My second point has to do with pressing quality. MOV is based in the Netherlands, and they use the old CBS pressing plant in Holland. I own many MOV titles and just about all of them are flawless--flat, very quiet, nice pressings. They also pressed the quietest colored vinyl record I've ever owned--the West Side Story film soundtrack (which sold a bazillion copies back in the day) came similarly in a limited edition red vinyl version, and it plays as quietly as any black vinyl record I have ever owned.

In short, I wouldn't be concerned about the white vinyl being noisy. But, "stuff" happens, and anyone can get a fluke bad copy. Just my usual disclaimer here. :wink:

The last thing I should point out is that many of their titles are digitally sourced. It appears they use high-resolution digital sources, though, so they still do sound quite good, despite not being all analog. Since they reissue a lot of Sony titles (Columbia, Epic, etc.), I wager they are using the archived DSD masters for the Sony-owned titles. DSD was originally developed by Sony and Philips as an archival digital storage format, and is also the type of digital used for SACD. MOV do not reveal their sources for the masters, so that is the only thing which remains unknown with their titles. I suspect MOV has some ties to Sony/Legacy, as the bulk of their catalog features Sony-owned titles...even the pressing plant was formerly under the Columbia/CBS umbrella.

For this particular Carpenters set, I also wonder what they used for sources, and which mixes. Regardless, I like the mix of tracks since they are weighted towards their earlier catalog (I generally dislike the later albums), and the numbered white vinyl edition is something that will be in limited supply.

There are many others in the Collected series. I'm sort of looking at the Huey Lewis and John Hiatt titles--Huey's set also has a nice, representative selection of tunes that are weighted towards his most popular albums. There are also sets from Cat Stevens, UB40, J.J. Cale, Moody Blues, Buddy Holly, Ennio Morricone (soundtracks), Charles Aznavour...all over the map, musically. Since it is a new series from MOV, it will be one to watch.

This set doesn’t interest me solely because of its chronological track listing. I’m just not drawn to hearing their singles in chronological order. Occasionally, I play my Yesterday Once More 2-LP set; it’s fun to hear their singles (on an LP) in a different order.

I am actually really looking forward to this limited edition pressing in white vinyl. Since I didn't get the CD collection, I'm really looking forward to hearing this on my favorite format. As soon as I pop this bad boy open it will be thoroughly cleaned on my record doctor machine several times and then for a spin it goes then will rip this on Audacity. Yup, I can't be disturbed for several hours as I'll be on a Carpenters high. With a Karen solo on vinyl....How could I ask for more?....

Some photos of the white limited vinyl artwork :)
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

regards :wave:

Just checked and mine was despached on the 25th so hopefully here soon. I am excited to say, even though I had a few Carpenters singles first time around, this is the first vinyl LP I have ever bought!

Back
Top Bottom