Carpenters concert clippings and reviews! (1970-1978)

Those are great Jim. Thank you. The Hollywood Bowl concert with Gilbert O’Sullivan was my 2nd time seeing them. I think it was the best of all the concerts I was fortunate to attend. Great venue, and Karen looked, and sounded amazing that evening.

My pleasure. Interesting to see some of the opening acts and I was not aware that Seals and Croft were one of them. George Gobel the comedian opened for them at my concert in 1976. Gilbert O'Sullivan would have been a good pairing for Karen and Richard and I still remember "Alone Again" and "Clair" from my high school days!

Last edited:
Another slanted logo :)
Several versions of it posted here. So obviously it wasn't a one-off, as I initially guessed. It was likely one of several versions of their logo distributed in press kits. I still wonder if the white space in the upper right-hand corner was meant for the concert sponsor.

Thought I would start a new thread that focuses on the Carpenters touring years by posting local reviews along with clippings that promoted their upcoming concerts. To kick it off I've included their only appearance in Maine's largest city of Portland at the historic Exposition Building which was 4 years prior to a modern 8500 seat arena opening downtown.

In this review, it appears that Sherwin was not only their manager but also filled in as a bouncer along with Mark Rudolph. The Carpenters "zowied" the crowd and Richard was reminiscent of the Golden Age of Greece! Guitarist-drummer Karen displayed pertness and professionalism on the stage?

Sadly, I did not attend this concert because I was living in Jacksonville, NC and in high school at the time where my father was stationed while serving in the Marine Corps. But I was fortunate to see them perform a few years later in August of 1976 at the Arie Crown Theater in Chicago. 🙂

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 2.33.22 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-01-19 at 2.33.56 PM.png🙂
I didn't know Karen played guitar.

I"m guessing it was a reporting error or maybe Karen was fooling around with Bob's bass guitar during rehearsals?

Back
Top Bottom