CarpenterS Discography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Hey Gang!

I was just sitting up here in the vast Pacific N.W. wondering when we will be seeing the debut of the CarpenterS Discography at A&M corner?

Jeff

Jeff, Since I'm new around here, what do you mean debut?

Also as a side note, Did I hear correctly that Richard is back with A & M? I thought I remember someone saying this.

The long-awaited Carpenters discography is still in a holding pattern. Rudy (Neil) has been having a lot of 'non-Internet' things on his plate of late, so it's been relegated to the back burner. Hopefully, we'll get it going sometime soon.

Chris, we've been planning a Carpenters discography on this site for ages, but not just a plain-old, ordinary listing like many other web discographies. Neil wants it to be setup as a dynamic database, where users can actually interact with the data.

Harry
...in a holding pattern, online...

Howdy!

No, can't do sound clips--even 30-second snippets are illegal to post without proper ASCAP and/or BMI licensing. (It's there in the fine print, unfortunately...it would cost several hundred dollars a year, and even then, I'd STILL have to get permission to use the songs themselves, probably from the record label or Carpenters' management.) I've wanted to do sound clips, but

Interactive means that you can not only read standard listings, you can choose *how* the listings are displayed. Or you can search on different parameters and list out results. For instance, I could create a search form where you could type in part of a song title (say, "Close To You"), submit it, and get back a listing of the albums matching that title. I'm also trying to work in a way I can put an indicator on a recording to show which formats it was released in (8-track, cassette, LP, CD, etc.), and their relative availability (in print, out of print, etc.).

I've got a lot going on offline that's taking up a lot of time, not to mention having two major web projects that will be eating up a lot of my computer time for the next couple of months. With Yellowjackets having a new CD (and a new label debut, yet) in mid May, that's going to start heating up by the middle of April, no doubt. What's ironic is that most of the work has to go into the administration side of this project--the public display side of it is really the easier part, since we're only sorting and reading data.

Unless I can teach the PHP and MySQL languages to Harry, looks like the grunt work falls on *me*! :wink: :D To go with the discography, I'll also be debuting a new, separate "front page" specifically for Carpenters here. If anyone knows of a typeface that looks similar to the Carpenters logo, drop a line and let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom