CarpenterS Fan Club BURIED TREASURE topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the information regarding the Mook.
I will make an effort to find a translator, perhaps in the Languages Department of a University.
Nice to know that it is not out of reach, in so far as not encountering legal issues.
The Mook is a fascinating 'historical' document, and I would like to see it translated.

How many completed songs (not medleys) have been released post 1983? I feel really lucky to have what we have. My hunch is we've got more after Karen. I'm talking finished songs and not the early Pre-Carpenters filler stuff.

My J sounds pretty confident that about 7 songs are completed. Add Jimmy Mac and Love Makin Love To You from the solo album and that mix from MacDoctor of WOJB, and not only would our fix for new songs give us relief from the pressures of life, but a new generation could find the musical harmonies and excellent vocal singing as refreshing as we do!
It's pop!
The seven tracks I mentioned are those completed tracks that I'm aware of,there's a few others that are complete also,including a couple from the final 1982 sessions.

Technically speaking, a track that has a full and releasable lead vocal could be considered "complete"-the strings and backround vocals can always be added at a later date to "finish" the recording.

I think when it comes to Karen and her voice, learning to accept that there is no more material ever to be released is still a hard pill to swallow....even 31 yrs later. What makes it even harder is knowing there are completed tracks that we will never hear, silenced forever. I don't know if what Mr J wrote is true or not (he's never gave out his sources, maybe these are just his opinions) but if that many tracks are complete and we know there must be a few more, it's enough work to at least finish a few and include them on some Japan compilation as bonus tracks.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to hear more of Karen's voice...sometimes we act like it's a sin to want to hear more of any recordings she may have completed. What an honor for so many fans to love an artist so much that they crave more from a voice after 31 years. She had the voice of a lifetime and for me it will never be enough of wanting more from her. Every album that Richard released since Karen passed away always made me feel the same....I was hearing Karen on a new song and it was like she was still here, alive yet I knew it wasn't true yet the album made me feel like time was still on her side until the end of the song/album was over then reality hit. I think a lot of the fans want to feel that feeling again, if only for the last time.

We know Richard will never be releasing any more material but it doesn't mean we can't hope or wish there was more on the Horizon. It's just sometimes around here it feels like people like to put other people in their places by saying accept it Richard is not releasing any more material, get use to it, you must take no for an answer. It's almost like a bully system. Of course I accept that Richard is done but it doesn't mean I can't want and crave for more.

I think there could have been other ways in which Richard could have told us in that interview that he is done. The hardest part for me was how abrupt his answer was, No, all done and that silence. Of course I can accept it, there is nothing else for me to do. However I just wished he had said something like......wow you know I'm still so honored that the Carpenters fan base is still as strong today as it was when Karen and I were recording and it's really an honor to hear that so many fans are still asking for more material, I'm proud and I know Karen would be proud that we are still loved so many here in the US and across the world but if I'm being honest there just isn't any more material that I feel would make it to another Carpenters album or that I would ever be releasing. I get asked this all the time and I'm still taken back because it tells me the fans still love what we created and they yearn for more even 31 yrs later but I'm sorry this is the end of the road for any further Carpenters releases.

Now that would have been a way to tell the fans it's really over.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to hear more of Karen's voice-but you have to accept the plain fact that it's not going to happen.Taking "no" for an answer is a part of life.

As far as Richard's "abrupt" answer-he was asked a very direct question and he gave a direct,upfront answer.And,that answer was old news,anyway.Following the release of As Time Goes By,he stated that there would be no further vault recordings issued.

A thorough listing of anything recorded and archived is a fantastic idea simply for historical purposes. Carpenters and their fans deserve that much.
The MOOK contains the complete documentation of every vault recording-along with Richard's comments on each track.The only problem is that it was published in Japanese.The MOOK is actually the end product of an interview between Richard and Yuko Agura twenty years ago.All of the details that Yuko discussed with Richard were included in the book.

Some of the MOOK contents were translated into English at one point-and I did view some of that material.Richard's comments/details were very intriguing and revealing.

Some of our members claim to have a copy of the MOOK.If that's the case,all they have to do is hire a Japanese translator to translate the book into English.That might cost a few hundred dollars (or more) to be done.

All true, Mr. J. But Richard also said Karen's solo album would never be released. And, lo and behold, we got it! And we all thank him for it. If we can't pine for unreleased material, then we're on the wrong site. :wink:

All true, Mr. J. But Richard also said Karen's solo album would never be released. And, lo and behold, we got it! And we all thank him for it. If we can't pine for unreleased material, then we're on the wrong site. :wink:
Karen's album was a different situation altogether.The decision to release Karen's album was made by A&M-and it probably only happened because A&M was under new ownership(Polygram),and the original label chiefs(Herb Alpert,Jerry Moss,Gil Friesen) had left A&M.

The MOOK contains the complete documentation of every vault recording-along with Richard's comments on each track.The only problem is that it was published in Japanese.The MOOK is actually the end product of an interview between Richard and Yuko Agura twenty years ago.All of the details that Yuko discussed with Richard were included in the book.

Some of the MOOK contents were translated into English at one point-and I did view some of that material.Richard's comments/details were very intriguing and revealing.

Some of our members claim to have a copy of the MOOK.If that's the case,all they have to do is hire a Japanese translator to translate the book into English.That might cost a few hundred dollars (or more) to be done.

I think getting a translator to do this is easier said than done. I could be wrong but translating from Japan to English is not an easy task and much is lost in translation due to characters and fragments in wording. I have tried several different applications to translate the Japanese text written below all these vault recordings and none of the translations to English have any meaning.

I have the original Mook and there are 3 pages of vault recordings (64 listed songs) of this 64 some of these have already been released on As Time Goes By. Then at the end of the article there are Karen's solo tracks such as Basket Case and all the other unreleased solo tracks. The 64 listed tracks each have some Japanese text listed. I would like to know what this text translates to in English.

I would even be willing to upload some if a Japanese fan on this forum could translate it. In fact, I'd go as far and say that there must be a Japanese fan viewing this forum from either the US or Japan that already knows what the text says and has the Mook. It should would be great to get some help from our Japanese fans.

I seem to remember that even Sakura (who use to visit and post here) could not translate the information to English, so either it's very difficult or there is no interest. Am I the only one interested???

Translating is the starting place. I don't know if posting MOOK in English is a copyright infringement? I don't think so. I'd do it if it were me WTH? As mentioned it's the clamoring or shall I say it's the squeeky wheel that gets the grease. Not squeekin ain't gettin. I knoooooow RC's pat answer lest I'm reminded AGAIN! In a faraway land I'm banking on dementia or Universal to the rescue.

Jeff

I've sent Yuka an email. I was sent this by her on condition it wasn't shared...I owe her the ask first.

Translating is the starting place. I don't know if posting MOOK in English is a copyright infringement? I don't think so. I'd do it if it were me WTH? As mentioned it's the clamoring or shall I say it's the squeeky wheel that gets the grease. Not squeekin ain't gettin. I knoooooow RC's pat answer lest I'm reminded AGAIN! In a faraway land I'm banking on dementia or Universal to the rescue.

Jeff
you mention wishing dementia on Richard and I get my comment removed about Karen not having a kitchen.. both in bad taste.

Who said wishing? I jest and didn't name. Bad taste was your forte I fear. Future reference leave your critiques aside. Don't judge my taste and liken it to your blunder son.

Jeff

I think many of us are interested! I've had the Mook book for years, and the Japanese text is frustrating to the extreme.
Here's some English text from the MOOK:

"All My Life"- whole lead by Karen (Richard: "it's good")
"Slaughter On Tenth Avenue" (Richard: "I ought to just pull it out and put it on the new album")
"You'll Never Know"-RC vocal (Richard: "recorded for kicks")
"Better World" (Richard: "we did a track")
"Don't Leave Me"(Richard: "no way! it's lousy...not meant for us")
"Why Don't They Understand"-whole lead by Karen(don't have Richard's comments on this track)
"The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress"-finished track (don't have Richard's comments on this track)
"All Good Things I Remember"-half of a lead by Karen
"Try And Win A Friend"-whole lead by Karen,recorded in 1974
"Fool Me"-Richard lead vocal,1982
"Make Me Laugh"-Dorothy Hamill Special,1977

Last edited:
"Slaughter On Tenth Avenue" (Richard: "I ought to just pull it out and put it on the new album")

Amazing commentary from the Mook, thanks! Which album do we surmise he was talking about in the above comment? The Mook was published in 1996, so the only new albums to come after that were 'Love Songs' in 1997 and 'Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor' in 1998. 'As Time Goes By' came later in 2000, maybe he was considering tracks for that as early as 1996?

Unless of course he means Karen's solo album :laugh: :prix:

I think enough time has passed that what is printed in the MOOK in Japanese about the buried treasure tracks should not be kept a secret. The time has passed and we won't be getting these anyway so why not talk about them. I don't see the problem with interpreting the English translation.

That's a start Mr J but it's not complete.

I think that anything with a full lead from Karen or a finished track should have been considered for a Carpenters release. A comment like, "I ought to pull that out and put it on the new album"....makes me think he could have done that on any of the full Karen lead or finished tracks. The tracks without a full lead from Karen (at this point in time 2014) will never ever be released because Richard no longer has the recording voice he did 10 or 20 years ago and it just would not match up to Karen's younger voice. However the tracks with a full Karen lead or finished tracks should be considered as bonus tracks added to a future commemorative CD collection.

Perhaps, "Slaughter On Tenth Avenue" would make it to new release titled Carpenters go Halloween. :yikes: :winkgrin:

Perhaps, "Slaughter On Tenth Avenue" would make it to new release titled Carpenters go Halloween. :yikes: :winkgrin:

How about this for the album's tracklist:

1. Slaughter On Tenth Avenue
  2. (They Long To Be) Close To You
  3. Help!
  4. Don't Be Afraid
  5. Hurting Each Other
  6. The End Of The World
  7. Dead Man's Curve
  8. Guess I Just Lost My Head :laugh:
  9. (A Place To) Hideaway
  10. The Uninvited Guest
  11. The Night Has A Thousand Eyes
  12. Do You Hear What I Hear?
  13. Goodnight
:phones:

You guys realize that "Slaughter On Tenth Avenue" is a Richard Rogers composition from the musical ON YOUR TOES. Richard's "finished" version was likely akin to his "Warsaw Concerto" - a piano showcase.

Harry

3. Help!
  4. Don't Be Afraid
  5. Hurting Each Other
  6. The End Of The World
  7. Dead Man's Curve
  9. (A Place To) Hideaway
  10. The Uninvited Guest
  13. Goodnight

Love it!

Harry

3. Help!
  4. Don't Be Afraid
  5. Hurting Each Other
  6. The End Of The World
  7. Dead Man's Curve
  9. (A Place To) Hideaway
  10. The Uninvited Guest
  13. Goodnight
That's awesome funny!!!
Nice job. How about a bonus track Calling occupants (single version)

You guys realize that "Slaughter On Tenth Avenue" is a Richard Rogers composition from the musical ON YOUR TOES. Richard's "finished" version was likely akin to his "Warsaw Concerto" - a piano showcase.

Harry

Slaughter has always been my favorite of Richard's piano solos.

Then I'd say it's most likely he was referring to its possible inclusion on the PACC album two years after the Mook comment was published.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom