Carpenters in London?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno

I've just returned from London, where I saw Barry Manilow live in Concert at the Wembley Arena; the concert was sold out, the show was fantastic and Manilow sang two hours without an intermission, and he ist 55 years old! :)

Now, I know that Carpenters played in London 1976, because there is the album "Live At The Palladium". Yesterday I went to see the Palladium; it's a small musical theatre, where nowadays they show the musical "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang".

Does anybody know, where and when Carpenters performed in London, other than the Palladium? I would be interested to get to know this.

By the way, I went to different big CD stores in London, and they really have ALL Carpenters albums there! Reminds me again, how famous they were in the UK; in Germany it's difficult to find Carpenters CDs. Thank God one can buy Cds via the Internet!

Bruno
P.S.: Barry's new album "Here At The Mayflower" is just great!

Bruno,

Just come across this posting (a bit late I know!)

I know when K& R did their week at the London Palladium in November 1976, the BBC recorded the show for broadcast. But the recording wasn't done at the Palladium- they performed the identical set at the New London Theatre.

I was at the Palladium on the Friday, I seem to recall the ticket cost £3 for a front row Circle seat. Times have changed! Wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Not sure about their previous tours and where they played, would be interested to know more.

Best Wishes,

Phil

Hi Phil ,

Lucky You seeing Carpenters Palladium Concerts -I was still at School and unable to attend ...... :sad:

Carpenters did perform previously in London at Albert Hall and Festival Hall on earlier Tours.

Festival Hall (approx 3,500 Capacity) would be ideal for Richard to perform Live in London -2003 Christmas Concerts ?? -we can only request long overdue Concerts ...... :o

Peter

:rolleyes:
Hi Bruno,
I did not watch the Palladium concert, which was not as brilliant as you could expect it from a Carpenters appearance, due only to the accompanying "Dick Palombi Orchestra".They (the orchestra not the Carpenters band!!!) really played in a boring and square way, more like a pensioner's dance band.You can hear that on the now deleted CD "Live at the Palladium". The same concert is on "Live in London", that is only available as Japan-import. Anyway, in that same fall 1976 I saw them in Düsseldorf, Philipshalle (Germany) with the same programme but without orchestra. They were superb. The band was in best condition and Richard and Karen really gave their best. It had a certain rock feeling to it, certainly because there was no orchestra. I will never forget this evening. It was the only time I saw them live. I remember one of the encores was "Good vibrations" from the Beach Boys. Absolutely wonderful. I wish this concert was available on CD. Magic moments when I was a boy...
Best wishes

Achim from Germany (Neuss)

Hi Achim,

glad to find out, that I'm not the only Carpenters fan in Germany! :)

I have the CD LIVE AT THE PALLADIUM. I first bought this recording as a vinyl lp in the 80s, and I was highly disappointed: Bad recorded, too short, and I agree with what you say about the orchestra.

The included WARSAW CONCERTO is fine, because it showcases Richard's talents as a classical pianist.

Unfortunately, I never saw Carpenters live in concert. :sad:

Schönes Wochenende!

Bruno

Interesting about Dusseldorf Group Only Concert -From Reports , Understood Carpenters were Backed by Orchestra at All their UK/ European Concerts :o

Have to Remember Live At The Palladium was Recorded in Late November 1976 and Released 3 weeks later ! -There was no Period for Richard and Engineers to work / improve these Live Tracks as with Live In JAPAN , which was Released over six months later :)

Still Enjoy this Set , Good Record of Live Show 1976 .... :)

Would be Great to Hear Non-Orchestra Recordings on Another Release ....from Europe or USA 1976 Concerts -Another Request for Richard to Issue :)

Richard Could Also Re-issue Palladium as 2 CD with Unreleased Material with Highlights such as Close To You (Spike Jones) and Good
Vibrations / Coming Thru' The Rye etc :)

Peter...Palladium Concerts Revisited.....

The Carpenters performed Live at The New London Theatre in 1976

The pictures of that performance are on my website

www.geocities.com/stemayers/

I understand that a European tour was done at that time. The shows structure was similar to that of their live performance in Holland and had varied by the time Richard & Karen reached Osaka in Japan (one of my favourite performances).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom