Carpenters Live on Stage 1972-1974 NEW DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I got an email today from CD Japan about a new Carpenters DVD being released on Nov 29, 2013. The cover pic is not the official Carpenters logo which has me thinking this is a bootleg, however it is unusual for CD Japan to sell bootlegs (at least I've never seen them sell bootlegs)

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=TCED-1792

I quickly search for more info as the notes are in Japan about what it consists of, here is what I found on Neowing Japan site. Remember this is converted from Japanese to English so it doesn't always come out that well.

Marking his first recording after his death in '30! Karen Carpenter, the best singing voice revives in full live recordings not released in Japan the video! Addition, the Carpenters that continues to fascinate people around the world today.This work, delivered in full live recordings, some of the TV show Australia (1972), Netherlands (1974), was broadcast in Belgium (1974).Figure singing Karen while beating drums, valuable that we have not seen only in initial formation.In addition, if you listen the perfect chorus harmony and overwhelming singing ability, I Can not shocked at the height of the quality everyone! Burt Bacharach (Composer) and Hal David (lyrics) combination arranged by Richard Medley you can enjoy in the voice of Karen is one to be able to enjoy the realistic picture and sound, the atmosphere and expression of members to see! playing 8 works.

$38.19 US
Item NumberTCED-1792
JAN4571390731318
MediaDVD
DiscsOne
Production year1972
Record formatSingle-sided single-layer
Size4:3
ImageColor / monochrome
VoiceEnglish: Linear PCM 2.0ch monaural
Running Time68 minutes
FormatNTSC Format

TCED-1792.jpg

More info also found at Amazon Japan (translated below using Google)
They are also including photo of the DVD (some look pretty high quality)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/CARPENTERS-...TF8&qid=1377892004&sr=1-1&keywords=carpenters

1. Superstar (Superstar)
2. HARTING EACH-The Other (Hurting Each Other)
Prelude 3. Love (We've Only Just Begun)
Ticket of 4. Tears (Ticket To Ride)
Oath of 5. Two (For All We Know)
6. Help (Help)
7. Love Is Surrender (Love Is Surrender)
To know when 8. ~ Bacharach & David Medley ~ anycast Day Now (Any Day Now) Baby It's You (Baby It's You) and Shi left in (Knowing When To Leave) tears goodbye (Make It Easy On Yourself) Memories of Love Goodbye ((There's) Always Something There To Remind Me) love way (I'll Never Fall In Love Again) walk-on-by to (Walk On By) San Jose (Do You Know The Way To San Jose)
9. Superstar (Superstar)
Monday and 10 days. Rain (Rainy Days And Mondays)
To 11. Love you (Goodbye To Love) goodbye
12. Sometime database (Sometimes)
13. Daddies Home (Daddy's Home)
14. Mr. Guda (Mr. Guder)
15. Yesterday Once More (Yesterday Once More)
16. Jambalaya (Jambalaya)
A shadow 17. Much ((They Long To Be) Close To You)
The ends of the 18. This world (End Of The World)
19. Top of the World (Top Of The World)

[Collecting music]
[Carpenters 1972 in Australia] ※ Picture: Black and White
1. Superstar
2. HARTING, EACH The Other
Prelude 3. Love
Ticket of 4. Tears
The Oath of 5. Two
6. Help
7. Love Is Surrender

8. ~ Bacharach & David Medley ~
Road to walk-on-Baisan Jose Goodbye memories of love love goodbye with tears to know when to leave Shi anycast Day Now Baby It's You

[Carpenters Show 1974 in Belgium] ※ Picture: Color
9. Superstar
Monday and 10 days. Rain
Goodbye to 11. Love
12. Sometime database
13. Daddies Home
14. Mr. Guda
15. Yesterday Once More

[Grand Gala Du Disc 1974 in Holland] ※ Picture: Color
16. Jambalaya
A shadow 17. Much
The ends of the 18. World
19. Top of the World

[DVD specifications]
1972.1974 years / United States / monochrome, layer 1 / 4:3 full frame / one side 68 minutes Color / main volume /
Subtitles: some Japanese / Audio: English Linear PCM 2.0ch Mono / 1 Disc

License from Reelin 'In The Years Productions LLC

※ There is a case to change Product specifications, the jacket.
※ This work has been recorded in full live sound the part of a TV show that was broadcast in 1974 and 1972.
There is a problem of some due to master the image and sound.
※ The track order has been recorded, it is different from the order in which they are actually played, please acknowledge beforehand.

Sale, sales agency: TC Entertainment

Bringing back an old topic....
I received my DVD of this release from Japan. As noted CDJapan is selling this item and it's unusual for them to sell bootleg type DVD's so that alone was worth me wanting to get this to see what it contained.

I am quite surprised at the picture quality of this release considering it is a non official release. The shows have been cut but the way it's been edited does this release justice. It's been edited nicely, no chop job here. There is one part thought when YOM ends from the Belgium show that you hear the roaring of the engines and it cuts out but other than that the fades are nicely done. There are no subtitles while music is playing, the only subtitles are when Karen and Richard speak, which is worth it in my opinion.

I bought a region 2 player a few months ago (never had one before) in preparation of this release. It plays fines. I then took it to my PC DVD drive and surprisingly it also plays. So I'm wondering if it's region 2 and US?

I took some clips to show the quality...it does look better on tv with your dvd player in person. Some of the shots from the Australia show you can even see the music sheets in the background, a lot of details, chairs, instruments, the backdrop all look very good. The audio is not bad, playing on my home stereo system it sounds very good, 2 channel. I would say the video quality on the Australia and the Holland shows are great, while the Belgium is just good. On the Belgium show Richard takes center stage on the track Daddy's Home, pretty cool to see this on my TV and see all the details.

Although these are not complete shows, I highly recommend this DVD for Carpenters fans. I have seen worse DVD's of Carpenters, this is pretty good. It's not High Def but I was left feeling impressed and brought a smile to my face after watching. It's nice to have this footage since we are highly unlikely that Richard would ever release any of this film. It's a little pricey as an import but to me it's worth owning.

LiveOnStage1.jpg~original

LiveOnStage2.jpg~original

LiveOnStage3.jpg~original

LiveOnStage4.jpg~original

LiveOnStage5.jpg~original

LiveOnStage6.jpg~original

Chris- Great review. The DVD is definitely Region 2 only; it sounds like your PC DVD drive may be region-free.

I had also planned posting my thoughts on the DVD's content after working with it a while (I'm most involved in restoring the '74 Belgium portion — so many scratches) but it's taking longer than hoped for. Just as well, you covered it all (and better!)

The Belgium show sure was a raw looking show...meaning the whole stage had all the equipment right in view it was everywhere, made for a kinda messy stage look. It didn't have that polished look of say the Holland show.

For anyone interested in times:
Australia show is about 34 mins
Belgium show about 21 mins
Holland show 13 mins

Total about 68 mins on this DVD.

I noticed when the Belgium show started the camera man panned over to the soundboard crew of a man with headphones on. I grabbed a scan of it....doesn't it look like an inner sleeve for an LP off to the right side? Why would they use an LP at a live concert? Also look at all the tapes stacked up above the console, are those tapes they use to record the show?

LiveOnStage7.jpg~original

Wow! I have to add this one to my collection soon. Thank for the info, Chris! As for the tapes on the console, it makes sense because Richard said he recorded all of their shows for posterity.

The Belgium show sure was a raw looking show...

The stage does have that ‘one-night stand’ look, doesn’t it?

I think you’re right about the sleeve; take a look at the opening frames of another clip of this same concert:

Perhaps the record was used to provide intro music just prior to the concert itself…

For me, seeing Karen’s expressive face while performing “Mr. Guder” is the highlight of the ‘Belgium’ segment and, although there are some PQ issues, is alone worth the cost of the DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom