Carpenters Live Single 1975

Simon KC1950

A-Side: "The End Of The World"
B-Side: "Sing"
Released: 5 March 1975
Producer: Richard Carpenter
Album: Live In Japan

This single was released in order to promote the Live In Japan album. It seems to be rare and largely unheard of. So does anybody here have it? Or have photos of it?

A-Side: "The End Of The World"
B-Side: "Sing"
Released: 5 March 1975
Producer: Richard Carpenter
Album: Live In Japan

This single was released in order to promote the Live In Japan album. It seems to be rare and largely unheard of. So does anybody here have it? Or have photos of it?

I've never heard of this. I can't see how they'd be able to release The End Of The World as a single because the intro has Tony Peluso talking over it. A bizarre choice of A-side if it was.

I've never heard of this. I can't see how they'd be able to release The End Of The World as a single because the intro has Tony Peluso talking over it. A bizarre choice of A-side if it was.

It could be possible to up-fade the intro right into Karen's vocal at the start, but more problematic would be the ending where Karen's "...good-BYE-------" is sung over the intro to "Runaway" on the LIVE IN JAPAN album.

Far easier would be using the studio version with the DJ removed, like they did on the Readers' Digest set.

It could be possible to up-fade the intro right into Karen's vocal at the start, but more problematic would be the ending where Karen's "...good-BYE-------" is sung over the intro to "Runaway" on the LIVE IN JAPAN album.

Far easier would be using the studio version with the DJ removed, like they did on the Readers' Digest set.
Don't forget that the masters would have more than 2 tracks, which the final album was mixed down to. Maybe Tony and Karen's vocals are on their own tracks and they could've just muted Tony's voice for the single and faded the instruments out. We know from the Live Bacharach Medley that they were using multi-track recorders for Live recordings.

From Wikipedia, The End of the World (Skeeter Davis song)

In 1975, American pop music duo Carpenters released a cover of "The End of the World" as a promotional single from their live album Live in Japan. It was recorded at the Festival Hall, Osaka, Japan.

"The End of the World"
Single by The Carpenters
from the album Live in Japan
B-side "Sing" (live with the Kyoto Children's Choir)
Released March 5, 1975
Format Cassette
Length 2:04
Label A&M/King Records, Universal
Songwriter(s) Arthur Kent, Sylvia Dee
Producer(s) Richard Carpenter

Don't forget that the masters would have more than 2 tracks, which the final album was mixed down to. Maybe Tony and Karen's vocals are on their own tracks and they could've just muted Tony's voice for the single and faded the instruments out. We know from the Live Bacharach Medley that they were using multi-track recorders for Live recordings.

That would be a lot of bother to go to for a promo.

In 1975, American pop music duo Carpenters released a cover of "The End of the World" as a promotional single from their live album Live in Japan. It was recorded at the Festival Hall, Osaka, Japan.

This promo, if it does exist, actually raises a lot of questions for me.

I thought the live album was recorded at the Budokan? Or was that just the televised concert? Was the whole album recorded as one concert at the Festival Hall or was it actually a mish mash of tracks recorded at different venues or on different nights on the tour? Wikipedia states it was recorded over three nights from June 7–9, 1974 at the Festival Hall.

Last edited:
A tidbit from the Fan Club Newsletter #38, August 1974:
"All Six Shows performed in Osaka were recorded on a 16-track machine by King Records,
for the release of a double album "live" Japanese record. Copies of the tape are to be sent
to Richard who will listen to them all and pick the best of each show for a possible USA Album.
"

Who knows what riches remain unreleased !

I have also never heard of this promo cassette but since this was a King Records release it's very possible something like this existed. Does anyone know the exact date of release for the album? So that album had to be released prior to March 5, 1975?

What intrigues me about this is the possibility that this promo could have alternate recordings from what ultimately was selected for the album version since this concert was recorded six different times.

Slightly off topic: Harry, I wonder if in the future we would get exact release dates posted under the album cover on the official resource site. For instance when you look at the Live in Japan link here the catalog numbers and formats are listed but no exact release dates. There are times when I have wanted to know when exactly was this or that released and have gone to the resource site but the dates are not there.

Sometimes you can't always go by what wikipedia says as truth but it's saying that March 07, 1975 was the release date for the album, so would this be correct?

That would be a lot of bother to go to for a promo.

Not really, seeing as how they would be in the middle of mixing the album for 2-track stereo release and editing out any long pauses.

This promo, if it does exist, actually raises a lot of questions for me.

I thought the live album was recorded at the Budokan? Or was that just the televised concert? Was the whole album recorded as one concert at the Festival Hall or was it actually a mish mash of tracks recorded at different venues or on different nights on the tour? Wikipedia states it was recorded over three nights from June 7–9, 1974 at the Festival Hall.

If you listen to the start of disc 2, Tony Peluso mentions that they are in Osaka, Japan.

Slightly off topic: Harry, I wonder if in the future we would get exact release dates posted under the album cover on the official resource site. For instance when you look at the Live in Japan link here the catalog numbers and formats are listed but no exact release dates. There are times when I have wanted to know when exactly was this or that released and have gone to the resource site but the dates are not there.

I'll start a thread where we can all post what we know of release dates and we'll see if we can come to a consensus. I personally don't have exact dates for all releases, so that's why they're not posted. Some people here seem to have a really good handle on dates - that's something I've not dealt with much. Usually a year is good enough for me.

As that potential new thread develops, I'll bet there are cases where the date of a release is not agreed upon for one reason or another. But it will be interesting to see where it goes.

Saw the 'boat' photo that was ultimately chosen as an early promotional item in 8x10 form on eBay today. Interestingly, the date stamped on the back was June 16th, 1970. Not an album release date, but still intriguing. Just more confirmation that summer of 1970 was the timeframe for the repackage of 'Offering' as 'Ticket To Ride'.

The book "KYODO MAGAZINE MOOK21 CARPENTERS" was compiled by Yuko Ogura, and published in Japan (in 1996). In this book there are Chronology, Concert Dates in Japan, and Japanese Discography.

The book says "Live In Japan (2LPs)" was released March 6 1975. (KING records, GSW 301,302)
The dates of concerts at Osaka Festival Hall were June 6,7,8 1974.
And each day had 2 shows. (That means 6 shows total.)

There had never been a release of the single "The End Of The World b/w Sing" in Japan.
I don't know anything about the promo single.
But, I don't think such promo exist. (Sorry, this is just my guess!)

^^Welcome, and thanks for your contribution !
I must concur with your assessment.
I have searched every document I possess
(including: Mook, Discographies, Liner Notes,Decade Book)
and no mention can be found of this promotional item.
Of course, "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"
.....but, if the only source which documents this item is "Wikipedia"
then, that one source (with zero accompanied citations) is worthless.
Wikipedia is not a primary source. And, the entry for this item there points
to no other documentation.
Until, or unless,
primary, authenticated, duplicated
source material is located (or, if said item is owned by someone and made available
for perusal by others !) then,
I will stand firm in my belief.

Wow, haven't seen Yuko on here in years. At that time she was looking for a US publisher to publish an English language Mook. Everyone who couldn't read the Mook wanted an interpretation. If anyone has a publisher connection and can find Yuko online, let her know!

I thought I remembered Yuka being enamored of Iceland and maybe moving there.

She sold me my copy of SWEET MEMORY. Nice lady.

I thought I remembered Yuka being enamored of Iceland and maybe moving there.

She sold me my copy of SWEET MEMORY. Nice lady.

You remember correctly Harry. Yuka posted to Facebook that she finally moved to Iceland just last month.

She helped a lot of Carpenters fans to get Japanese-exclusive releases, especially before there were Japanese retailers that would ship overseas. I got several CDs from her, and I remember having to send her cash in the mail (this was before PayPal).

Back
Top Bottom